intense salt cravings

Options
Im a saltaholic, seriously. I daydream of french fries, love salty chips, steak fat, and especially love corned beef because of how salty it is. I even much on pickle slices(i work at subway) and eat them like other eat potato chips. How can I curb these cravings?

Replies

• madmisskelly
    Options
    Im a saltaholic, seriously. I daydream of french fries, love salty chips, steak fat, and especially love corned beef because of how salty it is. I even much on pickle slices(i work at subway) and eat them like other eat potato chips. How can I curb these cravings?
  • nichols
    nichols Posts: 240
    Options
    according to the american heart ossociation.. they say u could just be accustomed to it and have trained your taste buds to crave it. if this the case just start cutting back slowly. if u live an active stressful lifestyle it could be adrenal exhaustion. if this is the case try eating foods higher in potassium and vitamin c and the cravings should go away. hope it helps a little. good luck and god bless.
  • skiski
    skiski Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Hi madmisskelly,

Like mentioned it could be a case of re-training yourself to manage without so much salt, i was the same and found using such things like garlic pepper or lemon pepper or various other herbs and spices to jazz up food and satisfy the urge to pour something on my food! also i found ensuring i was hydrated helped reduce the cravings.

There is also possibly another cause as with such intense salt cravings it may be a sign of deficency or an underlying medical problem so if things don't settlebest to be n the safe side and get checked out by your physican.

skiski x
  • BunnyHop
    BunnyHop Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I've heard that a craving for salty things can be a sign that you need more, what, protein? dairy? Something like that.

Milk is a good choice for me, drink-wise, so I try to have some every day, and when I do, I crave salty stuff a bit less. Could be my imagination, but at least my sodium intake is down. :)