Walden Farms??

Options
So I was at the supermarket the other day and I happened to see a whole section that was all about CALORIE FREE! What??! How can this be when it is salad dressings, and sundae toppings...
The brand is Walden Farms and needless to say I was interested.

SO my question is.... is this stuff too good to be true? Or is it pretty good tasting and a huge calorie saver.?
Are there products that are better than others?
Is it full of ingredients that I shouldn't be putting in my body?

Just wanting a little insight if anyone would like to share. : )

Thanks all!!

Replies

• WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    I would guess if it's calorie free then it probably IS a bunch of other harmful stuff or chemically altered stuff you shouldn't put into your body.

The old saying "If it sounds too good to be true, then it probably is..." is still true for me.

But I know nothing about Walden farms, just my guess.
  • bellinachuchina
    bellinachuchina Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I like the Sugar Free Calorie Free Balsamic Dressing :)

I think they taste great, but people are skeptical about what they are made up of...some say chemicals lol. I don't feel that way, but you will hear this viewpoint.

Anything to save me calories, sugar, & fat...I LOVE.
  • Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    If the serving size is less than 5 calories, they are allowed to put 0 calories.

I love their fruit spreads.
  • ellenangel
    ellenangel Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Some of their stuff is surprisingly good- I like the BBQ sauce (for cooking- it's gross as a condiment) and some of their salad dressings. The fruit spreads are pretty good in small amounts with other stuff (ie, with a little PB).

The "stay with- this is horrendous" list would include the marshmallow dip and peanut spread...seriously nasty!

They aren't as packed full of chemicals like I was expecting- but they definitely are nothing like "the real deal" foods and the bigger the amount you eat, the more you notice the funky taste!
  • girlygirl82
    girlygirl82 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! I think I will give some of those products a try. : )

Sad to hear the peanut spread is nasty though... I love peanut anything! Ohh well...

Take care and I am wishing everyone a good day!
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    There's two possiblities...well 3 i guess

1. It's a small serving size so its more like negligible calories (0 cal butter spray, one squirt has 0 cals, but you're gonna use like 10 squirts, which might have a few cals)

2. It's chemicals. "food" with no nutritional value isn't food, it's chemicals.

3. It's a combination of 1 and 2.
  • ellenangel
    ellenangel Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I like peanut stuff too- have you tried PB2? I LOVE that stuff. It's powdered peanut butter that you reconstitute with water (here: http://www.bellplantation.com/products ). I stir the powder straight into greek yogurt- sooooo good!
  • jdm_taco
    jdm_taco Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I like the honey mustard and ranch a lot. The chocolate syrup is good as well. The peanut butter spread is the worst tasting substance EVER!

They are high in salt.
  • mrsbrown2k1
    mrsbrown2k1 Posts: 139
    Options
    I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the chocolate sauce and pancake syrup is really good too. I've been using both of these for years now. Not a fan of the salad dressings. The Asian dressing is tolerable. Not a fan at all of the peanut butter spread. And carmel dip was just okay. I've heard the Alfrado sause is really good. I have a bottle in my cupboard jsut haven't gotten around to try it. I have some unopened strawberry sauce too. I am looking forward to trying that. I just bought it.
  • girlygirl82
    girlygirl82 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I like peanut stuff too- have you tried PB2? I LOVE that stuff. It's powdered peanut butter that you reconstitute with water (here: http://www.bellplantation.com/products ). I stir the powder straight into greek yogurt- sooooo good!

Ohh my gosh! Thank you for sharing that with me! I am sooo getting my hands on that sometime soon.
    Very excited to try that :happy:
  • ltlemermaid
    ltlemermaid Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    There's two possiblities...well 3 i guess

1. It's a small serving size so its more like negligible calories (0 cal butter spray, one squirt has 0 cals, but you're gonna use like 10 squirts, which might have a few cals)

2. It's chemicals. "food" with no nutritional value isn't food, it's chemicals.

3. It's a combination of 1 and 2.

THIS!