HELP! Best bicycle for fatties.

Options
Missjulesdid
Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
Hi, I'm 320 pounds and I really want to start riding a bike. Not for long rides.. just 5 miles at a time to get to and to and from the gym, bank, library etc. I know that there are bikes specially made for people up to 500 pounds but I don't have the money for those.. and I'm thinking that's more than I actually need anyway.

I have a budget of $300.00 and I really need to stay under that budget. I am thinking about getting a Schwinn beach cruiser.
Would any of you bicycle people mind checking out the specs and telling me if this bike seems like it would be sturdy enough for me? http://www.schwinnbikes.com/bikes/cruisers/lakeshore-10342#/specs Obviously this isn't for a "serious cyclist" but I just want something that I can go at a slow pace to get from point a to point b and get a little exercise while doing it. Also, I live in Queens, NY it's pretty flat here... the only "hills" are just like the inclines to go up on overpasses.

Also this bike is way under my budget so that would leave me with extra money for any extras that I might need to accommodate my size (special seat? special tires? I don't know what is necessary)

Thanks for the help!

Replies

• MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    my sister got a wide seat with cushion and sturdy terrain type tires..im not sure the names but any specialty bike shop could tell you..she bought just a regular bike and went to the specialty shop and switched out the seat and tires.
  • mmdavidson0128
    mmdavidson0128 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    A quality bike doesn't have to be expensive. Any good bike shop will help you find one for you. I would say most importantly get a bike that you like, and is comfortable...and one you will ride!! I have a Specialized and my wife has a Raleigh Venture that she loves and only paid 'bout $220 for it. Good luck.
  • milanks
    milanks Posts: 122
    Options
    My sister in law is around your size and she got a Schwinn Beach Cruiser. I don't know which specific model she got, but it is similar (if not the same) to the one you posted. You should definitely try some bikes of various sizes before you decide on one to determine what frame size works for you. You don't want to end up with a bike that is too tall/heavy/unwieldy any more than you'd want to end up with one too small or weak. Remember that things like handlebar height are adjustable and like myastyme said, you can switch out things like seats and tires to build the very best bike for you (functionally and style-wise!) without spending a lot of money.

Good luck and have fun! :)
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I think I'll get the low-end Schwinn that I posted and then pimp it out with a big fat saddle and some sturdier wheels and maybe even white-wall tires.. If I have any cash left over I'll even get me a basket and LED blinking light pedals for safety. If anyone else has any additional thoughts to add, please comment as I'm not going to take action on getting the bike for two more weeks.
  • believetoachieve
    believetoachieve Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Please don't forget a helmet! I know it seems impossible that you'd fall off, but I've seen it happen to adults for no apparent reason. Better safe than sorry!! :flowerforyou:
  • HartJames
    HartJames Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    Check craigslist first! Also, those beach cruisers are at Walmart for like $150!