Advice on how to deal with other peoples comments on my diet

Options
I weigh around 132 and it is so so hard for me when people hear that I'm dieting and tell me, "You do not need to diet, you're crazy, your already skinny, etc" . I already struggle because I have not been losing weight like I thought I would (4 pounds in 6 weeks), and their comments don't make it easier. I am short (61 inches), so my BMI puts me in the overweight category and I don't want to have to explain to to people. Do any of you struggle with this as well? It puts me in a bad mood and constantly makes me question myself. Also, because I don't have much to lose I struggle with not seeing results on the scale. How do you all deal with that?? Thanks for the advice.

Replies

• FaithandFitness
    FaithandFitness Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    You can simply say, My BMI is too high, or something like, I need to lose for medical reasons . . .either way it isn't anyone's business. Sometimes focusing on your health makes others feel uncomfortable!
  • jhardenbergh
    jhardenbergh Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    I don't have that problem, but I usually ignore any naysayers, you have to do what you feel is right for you.
  • megz4987
    megz4987 Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    I just don't tell anyone. It's not anyones business what I'm doing :/
  • jamielise2
    jamielise2 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Try "thank you for the compliment, but I really just want to feel healthier". That is, unless you want to tell them my first thought, which was mind our own business.
  • vraesgame
    vraesgame Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Try "thank you for the compliment, but I really just want to feel healthier". That is, unless you want to tell them my first thought, which was mind our own business.

i agree with this! That sounds like a nice reply.
  • 14eeee
    14eeee Posts: 3
    Options
    have you tried eliminating the word "Diet" from the conversation? maybe just saying "I'm trying to get more fit" would make people less apt to comment. I wish I had the perfect answer, but congrats on trying to make yourself better...keep it up!
  • minxblack
    minxblack Posts: 40
    Options
    I tell people I'm not on a diet but I am trying to be healthier in what I eat and make better choices. Its not a diet, its a healthier lifestyle. If there is something I shouldn't eat, like white potatoes, I tell people I'm allergic, cuts all questions as to why I won't eat their food.
  • travishein
    travishein Posts: 78
    Options
    yea, i just ignore such comments too. I find comments sometimes easier to ignore than getting honked at by cars as I am out jogging on the sidewalk by the roads. Though for that I choose to interpret it as a form of support and encouragement, instead of what I think is a ruckus of harlequins hopping between bars. Either way, I'm still doing something right by still going back out there from day to day. Head up, keep at it, eventually you'll get the weight lost and won't need to seek as much support and have to deal with the bad commentary.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    I have had people telling me I shouldn't lose any more weight since I weight 205. I'm now 173 so I am at the top end of a healthy BMI for my height. I want to get to about 165 in terms of weight, then my focus will be on getting my six pack visible. Those are my goals, none of them are unhealthy. I simply ignore people's comments. Frankly now I just don't tell people I am trying to lose weight.
  • mandijo
    mandijo Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Don't have any shame in explaining your reasons for losing weight. At least when you put it out there-hopefully, most people will leave you alone. You have every right to do what you need to in order to stay or get healthy. Chances are--if you respectfully tell them why it's important to you, they will back off. Good luck to you! Kudos on trying to get healthy (ier)!
  • angp7711
    angp7711 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    When discussing with others I would focus on wanting to get healthier. Nobody can say negative about that. Weight is just apart of it.

smiles
    Ang
  • bigredhearts
    bigredhearts Posts: 428
    Options
    I completely understand your problem, i as well have people in my life who do that to me. I simply explain to them that i only have changed my diet to try to be healthier and live longer, that reason for changing your diet tends to shut people up :) otherwise, its sad to say, that it may never stop. Hopefully your friends are nicer than mine... :)
  • angp7711
    angp7711 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    yea, i just ignore such comments too. I find comments sometimes easier to ignore than getting honked at by cars as I am out jogging on the sidewalk by the roads. Though for that I choose to interpret it as a form of support and encouragement, instead of what I think is a ruckus of harlequins hopping between bars. Either way, I'm still doing something right by still going back out there from day to day. Head up, keep at it, eventually you'll get the weight lost and won't need to seek as much support and have to deal with the bad commentary.
    Harlequins LMAO I didnt know the honks came out for guys too. Don't ya love it...
  • brneydgrlie
    brneydgrlie Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Just tell people something like "I am trying to clean up my eating habits/get healthier" etc. Don't tell people you are on a diet. Most people just don't understand that a diet just really means a lifestyle change.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Skip the whole diet conversation and just make it a healthier lifestyle change dont even mention pounds anymore
  • FunRun08
    FunRun08 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I have a lot to say on this but I will try to keep it brief lol. This really hits home to me because I have lost quite a bit of weight in the last 2 years (over 60lbs). I now work as a fitness instructor at my local Y, I am still trying to lose about 15 lbs and whenever this comes up I get the exact same responses. "you are in great shape you dont need to lose weight ect" I am 5'6" so at 165 I am still considered overweight. I track my body fat and have a great support system so I know where I stand health wise.
    It has been my experience that some people will judge you no matter what you look like. As long as you are being healthy and realistic about your weight loss goals and expectations just forget what people say and do what is right for your body. All that being said it is a good idea to have your body fat % checked. While my weight is considered high my body fat is 22%. Its just the way my body works.
  • Angelalmn
    Angelalmn Posts: 8
    Options
    I agree with everyone else's comments. Tell them it's a lifestyle change rather than a diet or you could just say "You haven't seen me naked!" :laugh:
  • valeriebpdx
    valeriebpdx Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    My tactic whenever people feel the need to harass me about something that isn't their business is to pick one polite phrase and repeat that and only that until the conversation turns. I used it a lot when I was pregnant and when my kids were babies--that is another time lots of people think your business is their business. Others have made great suggestions as to what to say--any neutral sentence said over and over will kill the nagging.
    "I can't believe you just got a salad. You don't need to lose any more weight."
    "Thanks. I just feel better when I eat healthier."
    "Well, you don't have to eat like that every day, you can live it up and have fries sometimes."
    "I just feel better when I eat healthier."
    "You're getting obsessed. You're too thin."
    "I just feel better when I eat healthier."

People get bored and wander off after a while.
  • MyNameIsNotBob
    MyNameIsNotBob Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    I would just frame it as "I'm trying to make healthier choices" rather than "I'm on a diet."
  • vsyates
    vsyates Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I hear comments like that when I'm nearing my goal weight too. It's just that people are so used to seeing me fat that when I'm at a healthier weight they think I'm skinny. I just say, "thanks" and let it go at that. Try not to let it get you down and just keep doing it for you!!