ZERO CALORIE FRUITS

Options
2»

Replies

• tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    STILL....yep no calories fruits ...impossible BUT... people go... OMG SUGAR!!!!
    Let's get real here.... It's natural fructose sugar...You need some, not too much but it's very healthy.
    Fruits are so important for many reason...Yes they include sugar but it's good sugar.

So, let's not freak out for fruits :)

It's similar to FAT... Avacado are amazing for you... But so many calories and fat BUT again, Awesome calories and fat!
    People need to make the difference here .... eating healthy doesn't mean, Stopping everything.

Take Care

Wait, it's only fructose? You mean all the sucrose, glucose, galactose, maltose, and the hundreds of other different sugars in fruits aren't really there? Saying all fruit has only fructose in it is like saying all protein sources only have one type of amino acid, it's not true at all.
  • tigersword
    Options
    Hi

I think what is meant by zero calories is that although an apple will have say 62 calories it would take 150 calories for your body to digest this which would then mean a deficit of say 90 calories and that where the zero comes in. I read this somewhere and
    it made sense to me.
    Um, no. It certainly doesn't take 150 calories to digest an apple, it might take 20. Also, I'd love to see an apple with only 60 calories, most of them are 150 or so, unless you eat really small apples.

Your body uses roughly 200 calories a day digesting all the food you eat, it certainly doesn't use all of that for just the apple you ate.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Hi

I think what is meant by zero calories is that although an apple will have say 62 calories it would take 150 calories for your body to digest this which would then mean a deficit of say 90 calories and that where the zero comes in. I read this somewhere and
    it made sense to me.

:huh: :noway: No..
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Only things that are ZERO calorie are water & air. Sorry. Nothing apart from that.

Why do so many people listen to weight watchers kind of crap?
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Hi

it made sense to me.
    Um, no. It certainly doesn't take 150 calories to digest an apple, it might take 20. Also, I'd love to see an apple with only 60 calories, most of them are 150 or so, unless you eat really small apples.

Your body uses roughly 200 calories a day digesting all the food you eat, it certainly doesn't use all of that for just the apple you ate.

Small apple 100g is 50 cals according to Calorie king. Medium apple is 70, large 120. Sorry but if you are eating a 150cal apple... then it's NOT an apple.
  • alimac92
    alimac92 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    Lol I foolishly rushed to see the answer to this question even though I knew the answer. :blushing:I
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    Options
    Near: Pickles. They say 0 on the jar and they have seeds, so they are a fruit, not a vegetable.
    I just read that in the U.S. they can mark food at 0 calories if it is 5 calories or less, but still, 5 calories is not a lot if you only eat a few to snack. It is difficult to make them add up because you would need to eat 20 pickles for 100 calories or 100 pickles for 500 calories! I definitely don't think most people eat 100 pickles a day. lmso
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Go for a ten minute run everytime you eat an apple.
    Ta-da - you now have your 'zero/negative calorie' fruit :P.
  • tigersword
    Options
    Hi

it made sense to me.

Small apple 100g is 50 cals according to Calorie king. Medium apple is 70, large 120. Sorry but if you are eating a 150cal apple... then it's NOT an apple.
    You say apple, exactly which variety are you talking about? There are several hundred different types of apples, all with various sugar content and calories. How big is the "large apple?" Most apples I eat are around 250 grams, which put them in the 130 calorie range based on your generic 50 calorie number, then again, I don't trust most online sites for calories in apples, because they all seem to use the exact same numbers for all varieties, which is wrong.

Also, all calorie numbers are an estimate, I'd put large apples as closer to 150 than 120, depending on the time of year.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    There aren't any, and if there were it would be pointless eating them as they wouldn't do anything for you.

I hear sawdust is a good filler.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Hi

it made sense to me.

So, you can eat an unlimited number of apples and still lose weight (perhaps even eventually starve to death)? :huh: :huh:
  • SAbreu83
    Options
    As you can read in all the previous posts, there's no such thing like zero Cal fruits. If you are trying to control carbs intake, I suggest is that you eat your fruits and carbs before 2 pm. that will give your body plenty of time to process it. Good luck!
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    As you can read in all the previous posts, there's no such thing like zero Cal fruits. If you are trying to control carbs intake, I suggest is that you eat your fruits and carbs before 2 pm. that will give your body plenty of time to process it. Good luck!

Just as there are countless threads shooting down the possibility of zero calorie foods, there are countless threads shooting down the need for a regular person (without any medical issues or intolerances) to limit carbohydrates excessively or to do any kind of nutrient timing. It simply is not the case that the body "shuts that whole thing down" at any point. Not even the digestion and assimilation of carbohydrates (or proteins or fats). You are asleep at night which ONLY means that your consciousness is taking a rest. The rest of your body is really quite amazingly active (brain, other organs, etc).

As to the whole idea of zero calorie foods, though: Please get past the desire to find "tips" or "short cuts". Enjoy food for what comes WITH the calories: wonderful tastes and textures of food, micro and macro nutrients, fuel for your body, things with which your body will rebuild muscles and other tissues.

You have the best chance of success in this "journey" (sorry guys) if you are able to find appreciation for what your body can do now and what it becomes able to do as time goes on; if you can find exercises that you enjoy that you do because you appreciate them and what you do for you and your body, that makes you feel refreshed and rejuvenated, and occasionally make you feel like a bad *kitten*; that you eat foods that please you and make you happy and also provide you with the level of calories you need (zero is not the answer to that question) and no more than you need, and provide you with the amounts of fat and protein and carbs that are right for what you are trying to do. If you can do this, you won't ACTUALLY be on a diet, and you might actually be changing your lifestyle for real, not in the way that so many people around here have a "lifestyle change' which is to say that that's the phrase used in the most recent fad diet book they read.

I truly wish you the best of luck.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    I just want to add a warning to beware of fruit nectars, like mango juice. A lot of them add sugar on top of that already found in the fruit.
  • Pinzog
    Pinzog Posts: 11
    Options
    As has been said, the calorie intake guidelines on MyFitnessPal take into account the calories burned through eating. So just log what you're eating and don't bother about all the "negative calorie" nonsense.

I used to do low carb, but have seen lots of info. for people who have trouble sleeping being recommended to eat carbs at dinnertime, as they're low GI (wholewheat versions) so your sugar level is more stable and you sleep better.

Any fruit juice will be high in calories, often much higher than the fruit, and it's only a drink! You won't even feel fed! :D

Strawberries are low in calories and delicious! Also, Butternut Squash is tasty, easy to cook (just roast it whole in the oven), and also low in calories.

Fundamentally, do what makes you feel healthy. If you're feeling lethargic, or constantly hungry, or depressed, eat more of a balanced diet.
  • norcal_yogi
    norcal_yogi Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    there aren't any!