7 Ways to Avoid the Afternoon Slump

Options
It happens to the best of us, the afternoon rolls around and you feel your energy fading. But before you reach for a sugary solution, try these pick me ups instead. :happy:

1.Take a quick walk – Take a few brisk laps around the office or outside. You’ll revive your body and your brain and go back to your work focused. (Not to mention the extra steps you’ll get!)
2.Drink water – Dehydration can make you tired so make sure you’re drinking water throughout the day. Also, thirst can disguise itself as hunger so drinking water well help you know when you’re really hungry.
3.Eat a balanced lunch – Avoid foods high in fat in sugar; these will cause your blood sugar levels to spike and then crash. Try not to overeat but do include a complex carb, like brown rice or whole wheat bread or crackers to keep you full and fuel your brain.
4.Have a healthy snack –Snacking is okay, in fact it’s good to eat small snacks throughout the day to keep your blood sugar up so you stay alert. Just make sure the snacks are healthy, try some almonds, string cheese or fresh fruit to refuel.
5.Stand up and stretch – If you don’t have enough time for a break, take just a minute to stand up and stretch it out. Don’t forget to breathe in and out deeply to send some oxygen to your brain.
6.Schedule a meeting – well, only if you need one. But getting up and interacting with co-workers can help revive you and engage both your body and mind.
7.Have a cup of coffee or tea – Caffeine in moderation is fine, and the antioxidants in tea are an added bonus. Just make sure you’re not adding sugar or other additives that increase the calories and decrease the impact.

Replies

• FinMcK
    FinMcK Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Awesome tips! Thanks for sharing! There's nothing like a good dose of postive, common sense to counteract all the wacko advice out there! Keep it up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:flowerforyou:
  • amandalc980
    amandalc980 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    The meeting one is mean! I hate afternoon meetings... I also hate morning and midmorning meetings.... Why can't it be done on a con call so I can look at mfp success stories during the meeting?