High Fiber vs. No Fiber

Options
:noway: Does anyone know how they arrive at the calculations for daily intake of Fiber? As a Diabetic, I have been told to eat between 30-45 grams of Fiber daily. MFP shows 16g, so I am always way over :ohwell:

Replies

• scmunchkin
    Options
    :noway: Does anyone know how they arrive at the calculations for daily intake of Fiber? As a Diabetic, I have been told to eat between 30-45 grams of Fiber daily. MFP shows 16g, so I am always way over :ohwell:
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    It's an estimate--you should have around 30 grams a day--you can customize it under your "goals"
  • Livi_Loves_Pink
    Options
    I think my goal when starting MFP was defulted to 14, but I changed it to 25.

On your home page click on goals, then change goals, then choose custom.
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    What foods do you eat to get that much fiber? Apparently I'm not doing so good in that department. :huh:
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    Whole grains/ oats/ whole wheat type stuff. A lot of people also eat Fiber 1 bars, but as a diabetic, unless you're exercising majorly, I'd avoid those--lots of sugar, too.

Oh, and I'm Type 2.
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    Fortunately I'm not diabetic but I do try to eat the whole grains, and oats and whole wheat type of food plus I eat a Fiber One yogurt every day but looking back at my food diaries the most fiber I've had in a day is 21 grams. I'll just have to try harder to get more fiber I guess. Thanks shorerider.
  • Livi_Loves_Pink
    Options
    I eat fiber one cereal mixed into oatmeal most mornings for breakfast, which gives me 13 grams of fiber and only 190 calories. I notice that if I don't have this for breakfast not only do I have a hard time meeting my fiber goals, but also my calorie goals since this breakfast keeps me so satisfied.

I also love Yoplait's Yo-Plus yogurt. 3 grams of fiber, 110 calories, and the cherry flavor is very yummy.
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options
    I usually get in about 50 grams a day and I don't eat anything with added fiber. I'm a vegetarian, so that makes it easier. The highest fiber foods include: berries and other fruits, veggies, and whole grains. If you give up all refined flour, eat at least 5 fruits and veggies a day, fiber is a no-brainer.
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I eat fiber one cereal mixed into oatmeal most mornings for breakfast, which gives me 13 grams of fiber and only 190 calories. I notice that if I don't have this for breakfast not only do I have a hard time meeting my fiber goals, but also my calorie goals since this breakfast keeps me so satisfied.

Me too!! 1/2 c. old fashioned oatmeal + 1/4 c. Fiber One cereal = the BEST way to get in a lot of fiber for breakfast! It does help fill you up. I also add 1/2 scoop of protein powder (cinnamon roll flavor or french vanilla!)

Fruits and veggies, higher fiber breads or cereal (Kashi GoLean has 10g fiber).

Jess
  • BunnyHop
    BunnyHop Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Oh, hey, thanks for the Fiber One idea. I'll have to try that.

I've also found whole wheat tortillas are a great way to boost your fiber intake. I use them now instead of other breads for sandwiches or pizza crusts. The ones I eat have 21g fiber per burrito sized wrap.
  • amethystx
    Options
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/high-fiber-foods/NU00582
    On the above web page is a good list of high fiber foods.
  • scmunchkin
    Options
    :wink: Thanks all you guys!! I learned something new on customizing my goals. You guys keep me motivated!! I have lost 70 pounds since being diagnosed in November. I went from walking to my car from the house to walking a 5K next month!