Coffee/Tea?

Options
Hey, everyone! Was wondering if I should count my morning coffee and afternoon tea towards my water intake. On one hand, I make them with water (duh) but caffeine is an accelerant, so shouldn't it dehydrate you faster? Maybe? Or am I just making things up? :-) What do you all think?

Replies

• ahadj
    ahadj Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I asked a similar question a couple weeks ago and got a mixed response, so I'm wondering what people have to say...
  • Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options
    No. I would only count water as your water intake. Just my opinion.
  • Paperlantern86
    Options
    Same here. I only ever count actual water. I drink tea regularly with breakfast (no sugar).
  • bsed18
    bsed18 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I would definetly not count coffee. However, when I was pregnant and was reading how to increase my water intake, the books I read said to count UNSWEETENED tea. So, I count it as water. I think counting occassionaly is fine. But I wouldn't say make it a regular practice to replace tea with water.
  • Tigress312
    Tigress312 Posts: 2
    Options
    According to Weight Watchers, if it's sugar free and caffeine free, it counts as water!
  • Domestica
    Domestica Posts: 91
    Options
    Check out my recent blog post which outlines why you should never drink coffee after a workout and when exactly is the best time to drink it; http://natashakay.wordpress.com/2011/04/27/the-black-magic/

Although coffee has always been plagued as a diuretic and that you need to double up your water intake to compensate, recent studies have shown that it's not the case. But personally, I think the flushing that happens in your system from straight-up water is different than coffee...so I would still drink my eight glasses a day regardless of my water intake. :)
  • Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options
    According to Weight Watchers, if it's sugar free and caffeine free, it counts as water!

So you could drink diet/caffeine free soda all day and count it as water? That doesn't sound right at all...