do you count strength training for calories burned?

Options
Schwiggity
Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
I was just wondering what the scoop is with counting strength training for calories burned? I haven't been since there's a separate strength category, but I've noticed there's also a strength training exercise in cardio listing.

Replies

• JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I do. I count 200/hr
  • mayasmom
    mayasmom Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I use the generic "calistenics, vigoruos effort" for my weight training ...seems to be pretty close to what my HRM gives me. We do a LOT of body weight only stuff but also throw in some moderate weights for an exercise or two.
  • ChrisR0128
    ChrisR0128 Posts: 86
    Options
    I look at it like this, they have house cleaning and yard mowing (now thats a little extreme to me) but strength training should definatly count as part of cardio
  • Aesop101
    Aesop101 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I don't. Some do and I don't blame them. I just can't track the odd minutes from exercise to exercise.
  • SassyStef
    SassyStef Posts: 413
    Options
    totally count...I do jumping jacks or high knees, just things in between my sets to keep my heart rate up.
  • avenathus
    avenathus Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I use the generic "calistenics, vigoruos effort" for my weight training ...seems to be pretty close to what my HRM gives me. We do a LOT of body weight only stuff but also throw in some moderate weights for an exercise or two.

Thanks so much for this!! I didn't know that calisthenics were in there (never thought to look :P ) But that's most of what I do for my strength training so this is perfect. Definitely going to use this from now on.
  • Nomomush
    Nomomush Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I count it because I do supersets and circuit training where my heart rate is 60-90% of MHR.
  • gailygail99
    gailygail99 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    i go right from the treadmill to the weights with no stopping so i keep my HRM going...i stop it as soon as i put the weights down.
  • carrie145
    carrie145 Posts: 297
    Options
    I look at it like this, they have house cleaning and yard mowing (now thats a little extreme to me) but strength training should definatly count as part of cardio

House cleaning, maybe extreme, lawn mowing...not so much...I pushed mowed my lawn today and according to my HRM, I burned 683 calories in 90 minutes...Those are calories worth counting...
  • momogogo
    momogogo Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! It matters!
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    If it's circuit training I count it but not lifting, even for the 24h Body Pump class, it is all lifting and I don't get credit for it!
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    hmm. I'm just wondering how with normal weight training this would work because most of the calories burnt doesn't happen during the training itself from my understanding, but rather during the time when the muscles are rebuilding.
  • mishelnkiki
    mishelnkiki Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    this is the new routine i do... 10 min light cardio then straight to weight training usually about 1/2 an hour and then back to the rest of my cardio. and yes, i most def count the weights as well! its said to burn more fat that way. i dont remember how it was worded, but it works for me!
  • coderedcoderedjkjk
    Options
    I never count weights. I'm scared of overestimating, so I just do it as a way to build muscle, not lose weight.
  • decu68
    decu68 Posts: 78
    Options
    I'm new to this site and app but I will be adding strength training to my cardio. The workout I'm doing is Dorian Yates' "Blood & Guts" and you are to keep your heat rate up all of the time. You take 60 second breaks only between sets; it is go, go, go. I do not see why I wouldn't add it. If it was my previous strengthening workout with longer break then I would certainly reconsider as my heart rate dropped most times.
  • reepobob
    reepobob Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    hmm. I'm just wondering how with normal weight training this would work because most of the calories burnt doesn't happen during the training itself from my understanding, but rather during the time when the muscles are rebuilding.

There is a very knowledgeable exercise physiologist that posts things every so often on MFP and I trust what he says implicitly. He gets a bit wordy at times, but his advice is to discount any strength and conditioning burns between 30-35% from whatever shows on an HRM (if you use one...if not, I highly recommend it). The reasoning (without getting too wordy) is that you burn 100% of calories shown on an HRM during cardio due to two main factors, your heart is working hard to pump VOLUMES of blood to the areas where you need it an the oxygen uptake (required oxygen to help fuel the workout) is needed in virtually 100% of your body as the whole body is moving. In strength and conditioning routines, your heart is pumping hard due to increased PRESSURE of exertion and the oxygen uptake is limited because you are limited to the oxygen needed in the key areas where you are working your body (lasered to where you pumping the iron). Discounting the burn accordingly will allow you to record a semi-accurate calorie burn count and stay within your lb/week lost goals. I have prescribed to this methodology and have lost an average of 1.8 pounds per week steady since last November with virtually no plataeus...

Hope that helps...

"Adzak" is the guy's MFP username and he is on my friends list...very knowledgable dude.

Also, I read your forum post from earlier in the week and you are a true inspiration, dude. Keep up the hard work!!!
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    I always count it. The challenge is that it's very difficult to get an accurate estimate, unlike cardio.
  • feliciapeters
    feliciapeters Posts: 525
    Options

House cleaning, maybe extreme, lawn mowing...not so much...I pushed mowed my lawn today and according to my HRM, I burned 683 calories in 90 minutes...Those are calories worth counting...

Tell you what, come ANY Saturday and do my weekly big cleaning (house with a husband 4 kids & 3 dogs) TRUST ME, you wont wonder why I COUNT those calories. LOL
  • neonpink
    neonpink Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I do, I use my HRM but any exercise calories earned from strength training I drink back with a protein shake afterwards.
  • jennmoore3
    jennmoore3 Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options

I only add cleaning IF I am gutting a bedroom and working up a sweat. I do that from time to time. Or if I wash windows, something I do once a month. We have a ton of windows and my daughter and I crank up the music and do a little dancing as well.