New from Michigan

Options
Hi, I just found this site and am hoping that it will work for me. I have tried writing down what I eat before, but this seems so much easier. I really need to get this weight off- all 80lbs of it!!! I had a back injury and surgery then a baby 4 months ago, so I was unable to do any serious exercise for about a year, and I'm just getting back into it now. It's so hard to get back into the habit!!! Any way- I'm really looking forward to this and hoping for the best. Any encouragement/tips are welcome and appreciated!!!

Kellie

Replies

• liamsmom
    Options
    Hi, I just found this site and am hoping that it will work for me. I have tried writing down what I eat before, but this seems so much easier. I really need to get this weight off- all 80lbs of it!!! I had a back injury and surgery then a baby 4 months ago, so I was unable to do any serious exercise for about a year, and I'm just getting back into it now. It's so hard to get back into the habit!!! Any way- I'm really looking forward to this and hoping for the best. Any encouragement/tips are welcome and appreciated!!!

Kellie
  • yayafreeman
    Options
    Hi New from Michigan...I am New from Arkansas! This is my first post...I was trying to decide what to write, when your post showed up! It is much easier for me to write to one than to masses...I don't have a picture posted as of yet...but it is coming soon.

I just started logging my food and exercise on this site Thursday, but I have been back in the "get fit" game for about 6 weeks. The scales don't show much...or the clothes...BUT, I am losing this gross roll around my upper hip and stomach! I can REALLY tell...so can my husband! I have always had bigger hips (well BUTT really) and a small waist...but OF COURSE my last big weight gain just filled in the middle! I know it will be a while until the clothes REALLY show...but I know!

I am also doing a "Couch to 5K" running program. I went to a running shoe store and was fitted for running shoes for my type of foot and stride! It has made ALL the diference in the world. My shoes were not more expensive than others I buy (when clothes were no longer fun...I started in on cute shoes!)...around $90. I no longer have the shin splints or pains up the sides of my calves when I walk....I am actually running 3 time a week... Well, walk/running...3 min walk...2 min jog...for at least 30 minutes (about 2 miles). Getting a really good shoe, that is right for me, has been MONUMENTAL. Also making myself run 3 time a week AND only 3 times a week. I am almost forty with 50 pounds to lose. I need to remember I am NOT 20 year old anymore! It is hard to feel like I am not slacking off when I ride my stationary bike or just walk in the mornings. I never thought I would have that problem but it makes sense...I have probably always put unrealistic goals on myself and rarley met them.. HUMMMM sound like a break through moment...

Sorry if I over shared...just wish someone had told me years ago before I let myself go...and I did! No major surgery.for me ..but babies, yes, two....although I really can't blame all of this weigh on a 20 and a 17 year old anymore, huh?:blushing:

Best of luck!
    Yaya
  • liamsmom
    Options
    That's really great info about the shoes. I have terrible shin splints and have been praying for something to help for years! Sorry, have to be quick little man just woke up from his nap?? yaya??? Are you Greek?????
  • zoepane
    zoepane Posts: 209
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
    Hi New from Michigan, and New from Arkansas
    I'm new from Iowa, joined earlier this week,
    Welcome:flowerforyou:
    Everyone is very nice here, and helpful...
    Good luck Zoe:smile:
  • yayafreeman
    Options
    No.. my family hails from Spain. My best friend's little boy began calling my Yaya and the nickname has stuck! I knew it was Greek for Grandmother (which I am NOT and better not be anytime soon!) but not many people know that! It's really cool that you did! Are you Greek? My Grandaddy (the one from Spain) always enjoyed the more Mediterranean customs and foods! He passed that on to his 5 grandaughters! I think it would be neat to be Yaya to my grandchildren...it the FAR AWAY FUTURE!

My oldest son is in college out of state...I am actually leaving Thursday to visit for Parent's Weekend! My baby is a junior in HS...he had his first f-ball game Thursday night...I sat in the POURING rain to cheer!! Boys are SOOOOOOO much fun...God blessed me beyond measure with my boys! :heart:

87391.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • yayafreeman
    Options
    Hello new from Iowa! I am finding everyone kind and supportive, as well! Best of luck to you...

87391.png
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    Hello newbies--

This site is phenomenal. It is SOOOOOOOOO ginormously helpful to log every morsel you eat. I love being able to update my goals, and have this THING, my computer tell me how many calories I need, how many calories I burn. It's truly magnificent. I have 9 kids and thought I was doomed to be overweight for the rest of my life, was whining and excusing it all away-- and then I found this place, and have totally been empowered to conquer my lifelong weight issues.

Yaya-- I have 55 to lose, too, and am 44 years old-- do it with me-- it's not as hard as I thought it would be. I'm 22 along the way, and am soooooooo pumped about it.

Welcome, and enjoy the journey-- it's awesome.
  • mknipp
    mknipp Posts: 106
    Options
    Hi Michigan and YaYa! Welcome. You will love this Site at first Sight! I do! It's so encouraging to read that others share the same problems and success we do. And their suggestions and advice are so helpful as well.

Keeping track of your food and exercise is a great way to keep yourself from "cheating" on yourself :blushing:

Never give up. Never, ever, give up! (Churchill)

You can do it!

Marti
  • mknipp
    mknipp Posts: 106
    Options
    Hello newbies--

This site is phenomenal. It is SOOOOOOOOO ginormously helpful to log every morsel you eat. I love being able to update my goals, and have this THING, my computer tell me how many calories I need, how many calories I burn. It's truly magnificent. I have 9 kids and thought I was doomed to be overweight for the rest of my life, was whining and excusing it all away-- and then I found this place, and have totally been empowered to conquer my lifelong weight issues.

Yaya-- I have 55 to lose, too, and am 44 years old-- do it with me-- it's not as hard as I thought it would be. I'm 22 along the way, and am soooooooo pumped about it.

Yes, I love this site! Say, is that an Ohio State cup? We might be neighbors. I live in Kentucky. You have nine kids? WoW! I've always wanted a big family, but ended up with three boys, all grown and out of college, and now two little darling grandchildren have been added to our family. We are so totally blessed! I'm 63, retired, and my husband is retired as well. I love reading everyone's messages, and being encouraged by so much knowledge on one Site!

Have a great weekend, everyone!
    Marti
  • DebLaf
    DebLaf Posts: 248
    Options
    Hi New from MI,
    I'm also new to this site, joined a few days ago. I'm also from MI. I like this site very much and am still learning my way around, but I think it could be what really keeps me motivated. I like to see what other people are eating and how they get their exercise in. I need to lose about 60 pounds, but am trying to focus on my first goal. I would like to lose 12 by a wedding I have to attend several weeks from now.
    By the way, how do you get your own personal scale to show up at the bottom of your reply?
  • Marla64
    Options
    Hello newbies--

Yes, I love this site! Say, is that an Ohio State cup? We might be neighbors. I live in Kentucky. You have nine kids? WoW! I've always wanted a big family, but ended up with three boys, all grown and out of college, and now two little darling grandchildren have been added to our family. We are so totally blessed! I'm 63, retired, and my husband is retired as well. I love reading everyone's messages, and being encouraged by so much knowledge on one Site!

Have a great weekend, everyone!
    Marti

Hi Marti--

Yessum, that's an OhioState mug. I was born in Toledo, lived in Cincinnati till age 5, then moved here to New Jersey in 1970. But, I'm still a huge Ohio fan. My sons, go figure-- I have no idea how this happened-- are HUGE Michigan fans. ???!!! So, my husband recently bought me this mug 'cause he knew I'd love it (which I do) and knew it'd bug the bejeebies out of my boys-- (which it does). So, to totally get their goat, I left it as my icon here, and on my cell phone wallpaper. (guess I don't need to look too far to see where they may get their bratty streak from-- )

We'll be traveling to Bowling Green, Kentucky soon-- anywhere near you?
  • liamsmom
    Options
    Thanks to all of you for the warm welcome and encouragment!!!

Yaya- My husband is Greek. Great job on the running- I am terrible at it! Where did you find the couch to 5k?? I tried to download one on my ipod but it never worked out for me

Deb- I downloaded the ticker from the tools section then just copy/pasted the code into my signature.
  • laurenk182004
    laurenk182004 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    Welcome ! You'll love it here :flowerforyou:
    :heart: Lauren
  • yayafreeman
    Options
    Hey Liamsmom...the plan I have is from http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml My teaching partner and I plan to run the Livestrong Challenge in Austin in October. I have found I needed to repeat some of the first weeks ...I just wasn't ready to move on! It is so cool to say..."I ran this morning!" "I am a runner." I really like that!!!! :wink:

87391.png
  • yayafreeman
    Options
    Yeah for you!!!

22 lbs GONE....That is 22 packages of BACON gone from from your body!!!!! I can't wait to say that!!! You completely ROCK!!!! Yes...let's do this together!!!

As far as the college teams, Ohio fan,...I have ALWAYS be a diehard Razorback fan...until my son was recruited to play ball for the Air Force Academy! So, I am a Fighting Falcon and proud of it! I will bet running in Colorado is going to be a LOT different than running in Arkansas...but less humidity!
  • yayafreeman
    Options
    Yeah for you!!!

22 lbs GONE....That is 22 packages of BACON gone from from your body!!!!! I can't wait to say that!!! You completely ROCK!!!! Yes...let's do this together!!!

As far as the college teams, Ohio fan,...I have ALWAYS be a diehard Razorback fan...until my son was recruited to play ball for the Air Force Academy! So, I am a Fighting Falcon and proud of it! I will bet running in Colorado is going to be a LOT different than running in Arkansas...but less humidity!
  • Marla64
    Options
    Yeah for you!!!

Well, bless your heart, and his-- how wonderful-- my dingleberry son had West Point contacting him for their golf team, and he wanted no part of it. We can't believe it, and want to kill him. He desperately, DESPERATELY needs the discipline, the self-discipline that is, that they can teach him and demand of him-- which is exactly why he doesn't want it. He's a heartbreak, that's for sure.

Oh well, 'nuff whining about knucklehead kids. And I agree, I love being able to say, " I ran," and did 2 miles last night, but am gonna try to aerobic step my yummies from tonight's birthday party (for said 18 year old knucklehead) because I can burn more calories.
  • pojo30
    pojo30 Posts: 62
    Options
    Hi New Mom. I just joined this week also. So far so good. I also live in Michigan by Lake St. Clair. I understand losing the baby weight, mine came off very easy with both my kids, but eventually it came back because of me. Good luck!
  • PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    Options
    Hi newbies!!! Happy logging...that is absolutely the key...Sometimes I will get the munchies, I will run into the computer and see if I have any extra calories to munch. LOL It is so addicting! You can do it!:flowerforyou: