Do really good at work, Now home is a different story

Options
Hey everyone I am stuck I do really good at work, I work at a preschool where I can't leave the baby room unless someone is there to step in for me. I start my week off Monday at wal-mart buying my food for the week at work. I drink anywhere from 3 to 4 bottled waters a day while at work. So when I get home i am hungry so I rumage through the house eating what ever I can get my hands on. My husband is trying as well as I am but he is not nearly as big as I am. He is very supportive and helps me. But we buy snacks for the kids lunch and I know that we should not have it in the house ifs it not good for me, my children should not be eating it either. Does anyone know of a way to be full when I get off so I am not starving On friday I tried drinking a whole bottle water before I got home, I think it worked pretty good, just wondering if anyone has any other suggestion I would dearly love it thanks.

Replies

• familygirl37167
    familygirl37167 Posts: 2,088 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone I am stuck I do really good at work, I work at a preschool where I can't leave the baby room unless someone is there to step in for me. I start my week off Monday at wal-mart buying my food for the week at work. I drink anywhere from 3 to 4 bottled waters a day while at work. So when I get home i am hungry so I rumage through the house eating what ever I can get my hands on. My husband is trying as well as I am but he is not nearly as big as I am. He is very supportive and helps me. But we buy snacks for the kids lunch and I know that we should not have it in the house ifs it not good for me, my children should not be eating it either. Does anyone know of a way to be full when I get off so I am not starving On friday I tried drinking a whole bottle water before I got home, I think it worked pretty good, just wondering if anyone has any other suggestion I would dearly love it thanks.
  • time2wrk
    time2wrk Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    The hardest part was with the junk food being there for my boys. I only buy it for the weekends now, which helps because my younger one's friends all show up and clean me out of junk food. I keep beef jerky or some fruit around to much on if I hit that "starving" mode before I have time for a real meal. I also find that almonds keep me satisfied until I can eat properly. I measure them with a shot glass, that way I know I'm only eating my ounce; otherwise I would eat the whole can!

The water thing sounds pretty good, too. Good luck, you will find things that work for you. It's a matter of trial and error for a while, I know. :flowerforyou:
  • tamifanny
    tamifanny Posts: 113
    Options
    Go through your entire kitchen & don't buy: cookies or chips! Replace those items with:

Cheese Sticks
    Pretzels
    Fruit
    Carrots & Celery Sticks with dip
    Cheese Crackers
    Yogurt
    Sandwiches
    Wheat Thins
    Trail Mix

You get the idea...I did that with my kids long ago. They are the ones that made me do it becuz I was making them fat buying the fattening foods that I love:cry:

You can do this:flowerforyou:
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    I say get rid of all the junk food. Not only is it not good for you and your husband but it's not good for your kids either. There are some very good tasting healthy snacks that you can buy. Check out the 100 calorie snack packs. You don't want your kids growing up to have the same weight problems you now have do you? I think it's dangerous to think that you have to deprive your children of junk food just because you can't eat it. By teaching them to make healthy choices when they are young, they'll know how to make healthy choices when they get older. Everyone wins. Good luck to you. Don't give up, you're going to do this. :flowerforyou:

Betty
  • lsalazarii
    lsalazarii Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I usually take a piece of fruit with me to work to eat on the way home (apple, peach etc) so that when I hit the door I'm not starving. It will help me until I can get dinner ready.

Good luck and welcome.
  • lmdeluca
    lmdeluca Posts: 21
    Options
    I agree. You need to replace the junk food with healthy alternatives. You kids may complain but they will adjust and be all the better for it. Keep some healthy snacks in your purse. Eat a healthy breakfast and don't starve yourself all day or you'll sabotage your diet.
    Good luck you can do it!:wink:
  • JMAMA
    JMAMA Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    It sounds to me like you need to eat a little more during the day, so when you get home you aren't starving and eat the junk. Have a snack in your car for the drive home as well as a bottle of water. I don that and it really helps. Replacing the junk food at home is not only good for you, but for your whole family too! Good luck:wink:
  • mknipp
    mknipp Posts: 106
    Options

I've found that eating a large breakfast of healthy stuff, a medium lunch, and a salad or something else small for dinner with small snacks in between, like that 5 cal Jello (4 oz ), helps a lot. Also the Bigelow Decaf Green Tea with Splenda. I drink it all day long, along with my 8 cups of water.

Usually, I have sugar-free oatmeal, toast, applesauce, yogurt, and tea for breakfast; a Lean Cuisine for lunch, with some Jello and fruit (4 oz) for dessert; then a salad or Atkins shake for dinner. I try to never eat after 8:00pm, but I do find that drinking the water and lots of the tea (I never drink soda pop) satisfies me if I need something after 8:00. I've lost 14 pounds since July 1! Walking helps, and adds calories you can also use. Right now I'm on 1,200 calories/day and that seems to work for me.

You can do this! Success!
    Marti
  • beaner10
    Options
    I'm opposite! I only buy healthy food for me so my fridge is safe, but I nanny so I'm always at someone elses house and my stomach or my curiosity gets the better of me and I indulge in whatever leftovers or baked goods they have around. I'm trying really hard to bring my own food and trying to think of their food as off limits, but when preparing lunches/snacks for the kids I still find myself finishing their food or taking an ice cream too. Luckily they all eat pretty healthy and have good choices for the kids, but it's a test for me several times a week!

Something that does help, because the five-o-clock hour does seem to be the witching hour for me as well, is to bring an apple and a small baggie of almonds for my car ride home, AND a full bottle of water. I know it's not what your body is craving (if you're anything like me, you want the rich dinner foods) but it's amazing what a little natural sugar and protein will do to suppress the hunger pains. Then you have a little more amunition in your belt before you get home.

Good luck and keep making the right choices! Afterall, food is an addiction and you're making the choice of whether you give in or take control.
  • heartshapdworld
    heartshapdworld Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Don't buy anymore junk food, and purchase more healthy snacks-it will probably be eaiser on the budget too. My cousins's mom and mom never bought junk food. Seriously, we had candy twice a year-at Halloween and at Christmas. We always had a full fruit basket and fridg full of veggies (carrots, celery, ect all ready cut up and ready to eat.) And for sweets, we had juice pops, which we had to ask for first. We never had soda in the fridg as well instead we had milk, apple juice and water. We NEVER missed the junk food, and I can't ever think of a time being envious that my friends has chips and cookies in their lunches.

Think of it this way-you will be setting your children up to making healthy choices for the rest of their lives:happy:

As for being hungry afterwork-Oh I do that! I will graze until dinner time and then eat a full dinner. What I have started doing differently is planning my meals/snacks down to when I will eat them. I also find ways to keep myself busy late afternoon/early evening, so I don't graze. I work out at this time, but when I get home around 7 or 8pm, I start right away making dinner. I find the prepartion piece works for me. While it is cooking, I find something to clean. I feel as long as I keep myself busy and moving, I will be less likely to snack .

Good Luck
  • familygirl37167
    familygirl37167 Posts: 2,088 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all the great advice, I decided not only do I need to eat better so does the whole family so we will jsut stop with all the junk food all together.