Healthy Waldorf Salad

Options
pinktoque
pinktoque Posts: 340 Member
I got this from the Turbo Jam Turbo Results Guidebook.... it's one of the lunch recipes. It's absolutely amazing! My husband even enjoys it :)

Note: This recipe yields enough for 3 meals, so the nutritional info is based on 1/3 of the amounts specified in the ingredients, or one serving only. It's great to have in the fridge and take on the go -- I love to eat it over baby spinach salad personally, for an added extra healthy benefit :D

Ingredients:
1/4 cup nonfat plain yogurt
1 tablespoon orange juice or lemon juice (I sometimes omit this, I don't notice a real difference)
1 stalk celery, cut into small pieces (optional)
1 pound lean boneless, skinless chicken breast, broiled and sliced
1 tart green apple, peeled cored and cut into small pieces (I go for Golden Delicious myself)
1/2 cup seedless grapes, halved
1/4 cup dried cranberries or golden raisins (I typically grab the mini boxes of Sunmaid)
1/4 cup toasted raw almonds, slightly chopped

Instructions:
Bring 2 inches of water to a boil in a skillet, add chicken breast, reduce heat and let simmer 8 to 10 minutes. Do not let water boil or chicken will be tough. Cool and cut into 1-inch chunks. Combine with apple, celery, dried cranberries or raisins, and almond pieces.

In a small bowl, stir yogurt and orange juice/lemon juice together. Pour over chicken mixture and toss well to coat. Chill for at least one hour.

Optional:
serve over romaine lettuce (I prefer baby spinach lettuce!)

Nutritional Information (one serving, on 1.5 cups baby spinach):
336 calories
7g fat
19g sugar
170mg sodium
28 carbs
40g protein
2.13g fiber
28.3 cholesterol

I added this to the food database as Turbo Jam - Healthy Waldorf Salad

I'm making some for dinner tonight in place of pizza (which everyone else is having) for our poker night so I'll try to take a picture :)

Replies

• pinktoque
    Options
    I got this from the Turbo Jam Turbo Results Guidebook.... it's one of the lunch recipes. It's absolutely amazing! My husband even enjoys it :)

Note: This recipe yields enough for 3 meals, so the nutritional info is based on 1/3 of the amounts specified in the ingredients, or one serving only. It's great to have in the fridge and take on the go -- I love to eat it over baby spinach salad personally, for an added extra healthy benefit :D

Ingredients:
    1/4 cup nonfat plain yogurt
    1 tablespoon orange juice or lemon juice (I sometimes omit this, I don't notice a real difference)
    1 stalk celery, cut into small pieces (optional)
    1 pound lean boneless, skinless chicken breast, broiled and sliced
    1 tart green apple, peeled cored and cut into small pieces (I go for Golden Delicious myself)
    1/2 cup seedless grapes, halved
    1/4 cup dried cranberries or golden raisins (I typically grab the mini boxes of Sunmaid)
    1/4 cup toasted raw almonds, slightly chopped

Instructions:
    Bring 2 inches of water to a boil in a skillet, add chicken breast, reduce heat and let simmer 8 to 10 minutes. Do not let water boil or chicken will be tough. Cool and cut into 1-inch chunks. Combine with apple, celery, dried cranberries or raisins, and almond pieces.

In a small bowl, stir yogurt and orange juice/lemon juice together. Pour over chicken mixture and toss well to coat. Chill for at least one hour.

Optional:
    serve over romaine lettuce (I prefer baby spinach lettuce!)

Nutritional Information (one serving, on 1.5 cups baby spinach):
    336 calories
    7g fat
    19g sugar
    170mg sodium
    28 carbs
    40g protein
    2.13g fiber
    28.3 cholesterol

I added this to the food database as Turbo Jam - Healthy Waldorf Salad

I'm making some for dinner tonight in place of pizza (which everyone else is having) for our poker night so I'll try to take a picture :)
  • pinktoque
    Options
    Just wanted to post some pictures of this yummy recipe in the flesh!

waldorf_salad1.jpg

up close:
    waldorf_salad2.jpg

Yummmmmmmm!
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    OMG I LOVE WALDORF SALAD. And look at the nutritional info, amazing!!! Thank you!!!:drinker:
  • last25
    last25 Posts: 83
    Options
    Great recipe, I'd forgotten about that Turbo results guidebook because of all the other health food cookbooks I have. Now I'm going to give it a second look :happy: