Did anyone quit "smoking" as part of their fitness effort?

Options
I'm not sure how openly I can discuss this, so to keep it low-key, did any former smokers (I'm not talking about tobacco) quit or cut way back when you decided to work on getting fit?

If so, what influenced your decision - the fact that it made you crave food so much? Less crap in your lungs for cardio? Just a general desire to change a bunch of your habits? Something else?

How much did you smoke before, and if you've cut back but not quit, how much do you smoke now? If you've quit totally, do you miss it, or actually feel better without?

Alternatively, has anyone not quit/cut back at all? How does that impact eating and fitness for you, if at all? Very curious!

Replies

• purroxide
    purroxide Posts: 27
    Options
    I went through a stage where I smoked every day and I just got so fat. That was a few years ago now, though. I haven't smoked regularly for a couple of years, only just every now and then. Not because of health concerns or any of that but just because my living situation makes it difficult (parents, eh?).

Last week I filled my tin and I've been restricting myself to only after I come home from the gym. I always eat dinner before I go to the gym and have diet desserts when I get home, so I find I don't eat any more than I usually would not smoking :) We'll see how long that lasts though.
  • allroundthesun
    Options
    I went through a stage between November 2007 - January 2011 where I smoked allllll the time. At least a few times a week, if not daily. I'd smoked before that, but only occasionally, every couple of months or so. It was fun at the time but by January of this year I was feeling like... I don't know, that I'd outgrown doing it constantly and it wasn't really fun anymore. And between that and the fact that it always meant eating and eating and eating for me, I decided to take a break. I didn't intend to quit 100%, just to cut back to every month or so, but somehow it turned into 97 days as of today (yeah, I'm counting :laugh:) and actually, I like it. I haven't sworn it off forever or anything, I'm sure I'll go back to partaking on occasion, eventually, but for now I'm kind of on a roll (uh, no pun intended :wink:) and going with it.
  • OLP76
    OLP76 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    I had to give up on the green when I started my fitness journey - the munchies just was to overload for me...

BUT - I do indulge once in awhile - almost every 3 months - I will have a week of puffs - but I know what to eat now, when I do get my munchies on etc.

As for cigs - I never really got into that habit - I was more of social smoker on that one. Where a pack would last me a month lol
  • northcircular
    Options
    ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT ILLEGAL DRUGS?!?!
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    I gained weight when I quit because I started drinking more. I have never had the over eating issue with self medication.

When i go backpacking I partake. It is a nice treat for myself after hiking all those miles. It is also much lighter in my pack than a bottle of booze. :wink:
  • allroundthesun
    Options
    I gained weight when I quit because I started drinking more. I have never had the over eating issue with self medication.

When i go backpacking I partake. It is a nice treat for myself after hiking all those miles. It is also much lighter in my pack than a bottle of booze. :wink:

Yeah, hiking was always my favourite occasion to partake. Nature and all. :wink: Fortunately (or unfortunately, depending on how you look at it), I have some kind of weird allergy to alcohol (I assume, anyway) because liquor, beer, and red wine all make me violently sick after a single drink (and it's not a lack of tolerance issue, I'm not so much as tipsy after one drink), and more than one glass of white or rosé wine causes the same. Like I said, never sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing. :drinker:
  • allroundthesun
    Options

OH MY GOD ALERT THE POLICE IMMEDIATELY! THEY WILL BREAK DOWN OUR DOORS AND HAUL US TO JAIL, WHERE WE WILL REMAIN FOREVER MORE FOR OUR EVIL CRIMES! :tongue:
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options

OH MY GOD ALERT THE POLICE IMMEDIATELY! THEY WILL BREAK DOWN OUR DOORS AND HAUL US TO JAIL, WHERE WE WILL REMAIN FOREVER MORE FOR OUR EVIL CRIMES! :tongue:
    smiley-gen145.gifsmiley-transport003.gif
    smiley-scared002.gifsmiley-scared002.gifsmiley-scared002.gifsmiley-scared002.gif
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options

Not here. I live in Colorado :smokin:
  • allroundthesun
    Options

smiley-gen145.gifsmiley-transport003.gif
    smiley-scared002.gifsmiley-scared002.gifsmiley-scared002.gifsmiley-scared002.gif

Ahaha, I actually laughed out loud, looooove it!
  • allroundthesun
    Options

Not here. I live in Colorado :smokin:

Nor here in Ontario. We're in a state of flux, actually - the Ontario Supreme Court struck down possession and production as illegal, and the government has 90 days to come up with a viable plan that's constitutional, and if they don't, it's legal. I think we're on day 22 or 23 or something like that. We just re-elected a conservative PM, though, so I have low expectations. :grumble:
  • markymarrkk
    markymarrkk Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I blazed daily for 7 years and when I started my weight loss in November I stopped for about 2 months and it felt pretty good, I can't control the munchies when I'm high. I started smoking again but only socially and maybe once or twice a month and I like it like this better.