Losing weight and NOT feeling great?

Options
Hi all, just wondered if anyone out there had some advice for me.... I have lost 67lbs in total so far with about 25 left to go and dropped from a UK 22 to a 14. Although I obviously feel a lot better in myself the weightloss seems to have unravelled a lot of body image issues that I really wasn't expecting. I am being really self-critical about which areas of my body I am least happy with (jiggly backside, flobby belly) and can't seem to celebrate my own success. I feel like a fat imposter at the gym! I don't know if it's because I've become more self-aware compared to when I was bigger and didn't take good care of myself? So, I was wondering if anyone else had experienced these feelings and if I just have to wait for my head to 'catch up' with my new body? It really sucks to feel like this....:sad:

Replies

• BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Yep I'm experiencing that now and its definitely a mind game. I wish I would've started strength training sooner. My body would probably be tighter but I didn't. I'm actively working on that now and thats all I can suggest to you. We definitely have to be realistic when it comes to our expectations. If you are going to put in the hard work to obtain a firmer body then just allow that to be your focus. In this journey you have to allow yourself to celebrate your accomplishments. Its a form of relief that we all deserve.

I wish you the best in your journey.
  • ehte_h
    ehte_h Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    But you've lost so much weight!!!!!! have a look at some old pics and compare those to now. You've done amazingly well
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I think it does take a very long time for our heads to catch up with our bodies, yes. When i lost this 40 pounds the first time, I really didn't have a good concept of my size or my appearance for at least a year.

And yes, I think it's normal to be overly self-critical too.

You could try talking to a therapist who specializes in body-image problems.

Something free that you could try would be to get a personal shopper. Don't laugh! Even many mid-level clothing stores have personal shoppers who help you find flattering clothes for your new frame. (Stores offer this free of charge because when people find things that flatter their figures, they tend to buy them! So the store gets more sales.) It's hard to figure out what looks nice on your new frame when your head hasn't quite accepted your new body. So a personal shopper can be a big help. Bring a friend with you-one you trust to be honest-too.
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    Life is about processes and journies. We all go through different ones while changing our life. If you have to I suggest talking to someone
  • korgscrew
    korgscrew Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Maybe have a chat with an instructor at your gym and get him to give you some advice on toning.

Now most of you fat has gone, you can start working on your abs :-)

Im guessing you dont want to be ripped, hell i dont! But toning sounds fun :-)
  • khaleelrs
    khaleelrs Posts: 6
    Options
    start going to the gym more often and do strenght training and take protein after wards
  • flausa
    flausa Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I am being really self-critical about which areas of my body I am least happy with (jiggly backside, flobby belly) and can't seem to celebrate my own success. I feel like a fat imposter at the gym! I don't know if it's because I've become more self-aware compared to when I was bigger and didn't take good care of myself?

I've been struggling with this this week. Yes, I've done well (size 20 to size 14), but I'm also aware that I've got more work to do. It's a bit shocking to realize that although people are complimenting my success so far, that I am focused on how unhealthy I was and that it's going to be a while longer to be where I really should be. Getting healthy seems to be so much of a mental exercise. But good health is not just physical, it's mental as well. I think we need to recognize that yes, we have been in a bad place physically, but that we need to celebrate that we are working to get to a better physical place. We need to celebrate that we are doing hard work that is both physical and mental. We are creating new healthy physical habits, which are connected to healthy mental changes. We can look at our physical success so far and recognize that we couldn't have done it without having some good mental resolutions. And we are going to continue to need that mental resolve to continue improve our physical health. We are being honest about the work left in front of us, but we know that we can do it (and that little positve bit is what we need to latch onto to help us move forward).
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I think the difficulty is that when you are bigger, you think "oh, if only I was thinner, I'd be happy", but when you lose weight you start to see all the other things that you aren't happy about. I have a lot of loose skin on my abdomen from pregnancy, and when I am heavier, I don't notice it, as it fills out with fat. Now it is just loose floppy skin, which I HATE, and which isn't going to be fixed by losing more weight or exercise. It's just a part of me I'll have to live with.
    Also a lot of overweight people seem to think they'll be happier when they are thinner, and it doesn't work like that. You are happy, or not, but the size you are doesn't magically make it happen. Thin people are no happier than fat people.
  • vickthedick
    vickthedick Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I think the difficulty is that when you are bigger, you think "oh, if only I was thinner, I'd be happy", but when you lose weight you start to see all the other things that you aren't happy about. I have a lot of loose skin on my abdomen from pregnancy, and when I am heavier, I don't notice it, as it fills out with fat. Now it is just loose floppy skin, which I HATE, and which isn't going to be fixed by losing more weight or exercise. It's just a part of me I'll have to live with.
    Also a lot of overweight people seem to think they'll be happier when they are thinner, and it doesn't work like that. You are happy, or not, but the size you are doesn't magically make it happen. Thin people are no happier than fat people.

It really is the ultimate slap in the face from our bodies. After i lost 85 lbs wih my son in a year I am left with this fanny pack of loose skin on my belly. it is so irksome to be a size 4/6 and not feel comfortable showing my midriff.
  • vickthedick
    vickthedick Posts: 136 Member
    Options

It really is the ultimate slap in the face from our bodies. After i lost 85 lbs wih my son in a year I am left with this fanny pack of loose skin on my belly. it is so irksome to be a size 4/6 and not feel comfortable showing my midriff.