Tea Time!

Options
So i live alone and am 23 out most night and cant cook!! haha

i need to make meals quick but dont no what to cook,

with all the help from the tesco post i thought i'd do this as well

i like every type of food i just dont no how to cook!

mike

Replies

• skinnylizzy5
    skinnylizzy5 Posts: 119
    Options
    Hi,

Have you ever gone on: epicurious.com? It allows you to put in the ingredient you want to use and set other search terms such as low fat, quick to prepare, and others. There are so many cooking blogs and things like that too. The best way to learn is just to start trying - it's not hard and the best part is you get to eat whatever you make!

If you're following weight watchers (and even if you're not) I like: skinnytaste.com. It has lots of delicious recipes and it even gives the WW points as well as nutrition information.

Good luck!
  • Kate_UK
    Kate_UK Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    double post
  • Kate_UK
    Kate_UK Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    Invest in a small slow cooker. You can pick them up fairly cheaply and most come with basic recipe books. Just chop up your veggies, throw in your meat add herbs/spices and water and leave to cook all day. You end up with a perfect meals with very little effort. Although I make it even easier by buying ready made packet mixes so no other herbs and spices required just add water meat and veg. All the super markets have a good range and virtually all of them are suitable for the slow cooker. The packets tell you exacly what types of meat and veg to add, but reduce the water content by about a third because the slow cooker doesn't loose water in the way that conventional cooking does. Also you can make quick and easy soups that are great for frezzing in individual portions to eat when ever you get the muchies.
  • meecher
    meecher Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    a few things off the top of my head:
    Salmon fillet throw a tablespoon of teriyaki marinade on top and put it under the grille til the top is crispy.
    Steam some broccoli and make a dipping sauce (half soy sauce and half rice wine vinegar)
    This takes about 10 mins to prepare.

Try the innocent veg tubs - they're on sale alot at the moment.

Also try spice mixes, they can do half the work for you sometimes - look for the Season Pioneers brand and Schwartz Cook Art are some I use

Saute some veg (corgette, peppers, aubergine and LOTS of them) then throw in a tin of tomatoes (try tinned cherry tomatoes) and season with some sort of spice mix. Then add a tin of chickpeas to bulk it up.
    if you make a big pot of this it will last you a few days - i actually reuse my innocent veg tubs for these, they're good for portioning.

Grill a piece of tuna steak and use schwartz's mango ginger and corriander mix sprinkled all over it, throw that on a salad with half an avocado and some berries, super tasty.

Throw prawns into any of these as well, they're low on the calorie scale.
  • mayasmom
    mayasmom Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Go to amazon and search through their cookbooks for anything that says 4 ingredient or 5 ingredient...maybe use the word fresh in there so as to limit the search to healthier cookbooks. EVERYONE should learn how to cook!

If you truly WANT to learn how to cook, check out some local supermarkets to see if they have cooking classes.

There's lots of help out there.....you can do this!