Negative feelings

Options
Katrob9
Katrob9 Posts: 431 Member
Hi everyone,

In the past I have tried to lose weight but never been hugely successful. I've maybe lost a bit but then put it straight back on or just not stuck to anything. This time I am really focussing on lifestyle change rather than I must lose x amount of weight. I'm exercising daily and trying to be good with my diet.

My progress is going well but I'm still feeling negative like I think I'm going to fail because I always have in the past. It's like I'm trying to sabotage all my good work!

So, my question is, is anyone else feeling negative even though they're doing ok and, if so, how have you stopped those feelings?

x

Replies

• PhoenixRising11
    PhoenixRising11 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Just jump on here!
    Read a few feel good posts. I always look at the success stories that are on the forum if I feel like I might start having a problem with motivation.
    I look at my weight loss chart everyday to reassure myself that my healthy eating is working.

It works for me... it's always nice to know that there are so many people going through the same thing that you are. :)
    You can do it. Your past is telling you it can't be done but the fact that your progressing is proof to your past that you can do it!!
  • anolan807
    anolan807 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I feel like that many times. The best thing I do is think about why I am doing it and if I screw up like eat to much junk food I look at tomorrow being a new day. It will always be a work in progress and a struggle for me, because I love the bad foods so much. But if we just keep telling ourselves in the mirror we can do it then we will! Plus stay on here and get supportive people to be your friends. Their encouragement keeps me going.

by the way love the hufflepuff
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    You have to talk your way through it. Seriously. You have to find the positive things and tell that little voice in the back of your head its a liar. You may think its crazy but right now your a raging a war against your mental self and in order to be victorious you have to set yourself up to win. As the above poster said read the success stories up here. Put sticky notes on your mirror that will uplift your spirits when you read them. Celebrate your accomplishments no matter how small and focus on the positive no matter what.
  • patty11932
    patty11932 Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi Kat, I struggle too - start strong but have difficulty staying the course. I fell off the wagon and gained back 1/2 of what I lost, Now I'm back again. What motivated me primarily was remembering how good I felt about myself when I was on a program - I didn't feel that constant tug of "you shouldn't eat this" as I snacked through the day and night, and then had negative feelings All The Time because of how I was eating. I wanted to recover the feeling of I Control My Life and to feel successful each day over the choices I was making. That has helped me. Whatever will motifivate you and keep you strong - keep looking until you find it. This is YOUR life, and you get to make choices today about what kind of life it will be. I'm pulling for you Kat.
  • matthewdill83
    Options
    Just dont look at it like its a diet, because its really not, its a new lifestyle ya know? Like everyone else said.. Use success stories for inspiration, or just know you arent alone :)
  • fitterpam
    fitterpam Posts: 3,086 Member
    Options
    Yup - I think it's normal to feel nervous when you try again. Look for those NSVs (Non Scale Victories) at least once a week and share them. Get yourself a support group - some cheerleaders that will boost you up when you're feeling low (my MFP buds have gotten me through some tough times). Spend 5 minutes every day looking for not only the positives in your life but the things that are changing for you for the postive because of your efforts. Educate yourself on health topics that affect you so that you have the knowledge to gain the power to change your life. By actively spending time on these things, you'll allow yourself to relax a little. Most importantly, be kind to yourself. If you're looking to make a life change then this is the first thing you need to do. If you were any of your friends that was struggling, you wouldn't be nearly as hard on yourself :) Everyone has a bad day or two, the key is figuring out what the triggers are and how to respond when it does happen.
  • Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    Options
    These are all great posts and so on target! Print them off and post them on your bathroom mirror and know that MFP friends will get your through your negative times!
  • gemma5536
    gemma5536 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I could have written that post myself, I don't think i've ever managed to stick to a diet for more than a month or so and I think this is the longest I've ever managed to do it for and keep thinkin when is it all going to come to a crash! But I hadn't used this website until this time I tried to loose weight and it is helping me soo much. Also the motivation of my wedding in January! Keep thinking of that dress and im sure you will be able to keep at it! x
  • mamarundrc
    mamarundrc Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    I still often feel negative about myself or my journey. I still get thoughts of "I can't do this" or "why do I bother trying". It can be extremely discouraging. Then I think about my journey and how far I have come. I have been keeping a list of NSV's and I turn to it whenever I feel like giving up. It shows me how different my life is now compared to when I started this journey 4 months ago.

I think it is important to break down some of your mental walls. Pick one thing you feel negative about and find a way to overcome it. For example, I always felt self-conscious running in public. I always felt like people were staring at me and secretly laughing at me in my head. So I registered for a 5K and ran the race with 500 other people and another 500 watching. Sure I was self conscious at first but then I realized, wow absolutely no one is paying attention to me. I realized that the few people that did pay attention were applauding me and telling me how awesome I was doing. Now I will not hesitate to run in public and actually look forward to my next race in June.

Remember this is a journey and any journey is going to have its ups and downs. Just celebrate the victories you have and learn from any mistakes you make.
  • Katrob9
    Katrob9 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. You're all so supportive! If I feel negative I'm going to look at these posts and feel better knowing other people are on the same journey feeling the same way. I haven't kept a track of NSVs yet but will definitely start so I ahve that to turn back to as well.

You're all awesome xx