EEEkkkkk! I am what?!!!!??

Options
Smack in the face ..... BMI newbie here and OMG I never thought I was Obese. Just the reality check I needed!! shesh...

Replies

• midwesthiker
    midwesthiker Posts: 144
    Options
    I know - I never did either. I still have several pounds to go to get into the "overweight" category!
  • Christie422
    Christie422 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel :(
  • AngelaPowPowPOW
    Options
    The day I found out I was devastated! BUT...the day I got out of that category was a GREAT day!
  • ajhoff62
    ajhoff62 Posts: 1
    Options
    I am too, but I"m close to "over wieght" categorty. That is my next goal...still have 10 lbs to go! Keep at it, loosing little by little adds up quick!!
  • alison2429
    alison2429 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Try not to get too disheartened by BMI. It is not a great way to judge yourself as it doesn't take account of muscle weight etc. It should be more about what you feel comfortable with.
  • missxena
    missxena Posts: 70
    Options
    im 171lb and i touching on obese couldnt believe it im uk size 14 :sad:
  • jam3114
    jam3114 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you - still have a good few lbs to go before being out of this category :blushing: only need to lose another 36lbs before I'm 'overweight' :happy: weird to be happy to be aiming to be 'overweight':blushing:
  • seansquared
    seansquared Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    A lot of people really have no clue what weight "means". I know I didn't. I was over 260 and I had people saying I looked great. Then I saw an old friend and he freaked out. I put on over 60lbs after college and he was actually concerned (as opposed to just picking on me). I talked with my doctor and sure enough I was in the obese range. Most of us (over 60% of Americans last I read) are overweight or obese. It just gets ignored constantly - even by friends and family.

The key is to not feel bad about it. Own up. You got there through action, you will get "out" of there through action too!
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Try not to get too disheartened by BMI. It is not a great way to judge yourself as it doesn't take account of muscle weight etc. It should be more about what you feel comfortable with.

Exactly. I am at my goal weight, a weight that even my doctor says is very healthy for me and he does not feel I need to lose more, and I'm still listed as "overweight". I don't care what the label is, I feel and look great!!!
  • fitterpam
    fitterpam Posts: 3,086 Member
    Options
    I remember thinking I was obese. I would weigh in on my Wii every day and I would be off the charts. It wasn't until about 30lbs lost and back on the charts that I realized that off the charts (40+ BMI) meant that I was actually classified as morbidly obese :noway:

Set your mini goals and soon you'll be approaching the overweight category!!!!

BTW, my end goal weight is 170, which still leaves me in overweight, but it's my lowest adult weight and where I should be....I couldn't handle any less.
  • Tankplanker
    Tankplanker Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I don't like BMI as a measure of how overweight you are as it doesn't take account of the size of your frame or the amount of muscle you have. Most body builders would be classed as obese despite having low body fat percentages.

BAI looks to be a better way to calculate it, if taken in conjunction with your body fat percentage:
    http://www.intmath.com/functions-and-graphs/bmi-bai-comparison.php
  • melt57
    melt57 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    The key is to not feel bad about it. Own up. You got there through action, you will get "out" of there through action too!

So true! I have been saying it was time to get my weight under control, but until I got on the scale and really faced what I had done to myself, it was just too easy to deny it. The day I stared it right in the face is the day I started to do something about it. Now I am about three pounds away from "overweight" and there will be some happy dancing when I get there! Final goal puts me in the healthy category, and if I keep on facing it every day, I should be able to stay there :)
  • QueenofCups
    QueenofCups Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    yeah, its scary, huh?
    Good luck and glad you are here! I am on the low side of overweight finally! You can do it!!
  • wheelieblade
    wheelieblade Posts: 323
    Options
    same here, going to take me some time, ok a lot of time but determined to do it!
  • Serafimangel
    Serafimangel Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    im 171lb and i touching on obese couldnt believe it im uk size 14 :sad:

wow, it must really sit on you well then, a UK size 14 is a good size. (lucky cow :P)

I cant really trust BMI, i have a friend who is quite short and if she was at the top end of her ideal weight she'd be overweight (it happened a few years ago and she was miserable at that weight), conversely, some people look better/healthier a bit over. no accounting for muscle and body shape. also, bra sizes are never taken into account, if you are naturally bigger in the boobs even at a good weight then shouldn't that count for something?
  • ebgbjo
    ebgbjo Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Don't rely on the BMI charts too much- they are not a great way to indicate where you actually are since it only takes height and weight into account- Nothing about age, sex, or measurements. Atheltic people can be shown as being obese on BMI charts because of the amount of lean muscle mass. BMI charts are bogus and I personally wish the medical field would do away with using them

Opps... sorry, should have read rest of thread as others basically said same thing
  • korgscrew
    korgscrew Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    BMI is somthing i dont look at anymore!

Its a calculation some scientist has come up with, and, obese is such an awful word, it grates on my skin whenever i hear it!

When i was my thinest, about 13 and a half stone, i was only about a stone away from my target weight and i was still just in the obese section, but i was wearing 34" jeans and medium t-shirts and i looked great!

So, i wouldnt worry about it if i were you.
  • Ibe_Theninja
    Options
    I don't like BMI as a measure of how overweight you are as it doesn't take account of the size of your frame or the amount of muscle you have. Most body builders would be classed as obese despite having low body fat percentages.

BAI looks to be a better way to calculate it, if taken in conjunction with your body fat percentage:
    http://www.intmath.com/functions-and-graphs/bmi-bai-comparison.php

I agree .... my lower body muscles are huge an solid ..... and I am only 5'2" its the belly weight that has me concerned =)
  • Ibe_Theninja
    Options
    yeah BMI says I should be about 102 ..... Never gonna happen LOL I would disappear I'm aiming for 150-130 to be healthy... its better than this 200 I'm carrying around ........... Thank you everyone!! the motivation always helps
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    BMI really is a poor indication of health, but it can be used as a rough (very rough) estimate of where you are in your healthy life style journey. I just checked and I just hit over weight, yee haw.