Meshing Atkins and South Beach?

Options
I've been basically winging it since I started my weight loss journey in January. I'm having issues now, losing the rest of the weight. So I get discouraged, and cheat. But then the scale doesn't move, or the measurements don't go down, so I get depressed and say screw it, I'll just eat this! So I'm interested in trying out a more structured diet plan. One that I can stick to more diligently. I have read quite a bit about both of these, and can't decide between the two. I worry about the unlimited fats basically of the Atkins, but I don't agree with the limiting of "good carbs" like leafy greens, and the power-house type vegetables. With the South Beach, I do like I can eat my fill of healthy carbs and vegetables, but there is quite a bit of meat restrictions when it comes to types and cuts. I know that every person is different, and following something like a diet exactly to the "T" isn't always necessary. But I'm curious to see if anyone on here has meshed these two diet plans (or any others like them) and had success?

Thanks so much in advance!

Replies

• PudgeMuffin200
    Options
    I just try to stick to 20 -30 carbs a day. I dont worry too much about what foods the carbs are coming from as long as i dont go too far over my intended limit. Its been working for me. But I also keep my fat and salt intake low.
  • baderis07
    baderis07 Posts: 35
    Options
    I tend to incorporate a variety of plans into my meals. I drink Slim-Fast, occasionally have a Smart Ones which is Weight Watchers approved (I definitely limit my frozen meal consumption though - sodium is always so high), and then I draw out some recipes and meals from the South Beach Diet cookbook. Overall I just try to give my body what it needs, and log all of my food. Taking something from this plan and that plan also doesn't let me get bored or feel too restricted in what I can choose. So one week I might do South Beach, the next a Slim-Fast esque diet. etc, or what I've been doing lately is just a mesh of things.
  • ShakenWithJoy
    Options
    If what you've been doing frustrates you, then a change up may push you over the hurdle. I don't do well with plans that restrict. But have found good results with two cookbooks. The first is More Low-Carb Meals in Minutes (Linda Gassenheimer). And I just bought the Eating for Life cookbook (Bill Phillips) a little over a week ago. I have found this to be a great fit for my tastes and lifestyle. It provides meal plans you can follow, but also helps you develop your own. I use my favorite protein shake mix (Arbonne) and supplements based upon my needs.

But now I have thrown another method into the mix!
  • brandicockrum
    brandicockrum Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies :) I do like to kinda mix and match things from different diets. I am mostly trying to stick to a low carb, higher protein, in-between on fat diet. All around I hope it will work for me, and if it doesn't I guess I can always change it up.