Clicking knee joints when excercising

Options
SJay271
SJay271 Posts: 19 Member
Hello all,

Since i started 30DS 7 days ago my right knee joint clicks when i excercise, i'm also finding it is starting to ache during and after excercise. Is there somthing i can do/take to help with this as i'd hate for it to get too bad that i couldnt continue with 30DS as im really seeing the benefits.

Thanks.
Sarah.

Replies

• fitnessjch
    fitnessjch Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Bump

I get this too when on the cross trainer. I have no idea either, so would like to see what other people say about it!
  • crystal_loga
    crystal_loga Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I get the same thing in my left hip....I'd love to know what thats all about!
  • DonnaLFitz
    DonnaLFitz Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Many of my joints do this. It's just what they do -- they creak. I have found nothing to alleviate it.
  • cathcakey
    cathcakey Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Could be a number of things:

1. Some people just have clicky joints. Scientifically no one has proved that it is at all harmful but it can be quite irritating.

2. Could be that at some point you have damaged your knee. Does it click every time you move it, or just occasionally?? Generally if it's not painful or only occasional then it's not a problem, but if it happens with every movement, or it's giving you discomfort then you should go get it checked out. The last thing you want to do is damage it further.

PS. Some people do find that with more exercise, and specifically more leg strengthening then knee problems/clicking can be alleviated. This is because you strengthen the muscles surrounding the knee and hence give it better support.

I hope that's helpful
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    My knees pop all the time.
    As long as you aren't experiencing pain/discomfort its probably nothing to worry about.
  • SJay271
    Options
    Thank you all for your replies.

My knee never used to click hence being concerned when it suddenly started clicking, it sounds normal though so i think i'll just persevere and see how it goes, guess i'll just have one clicky knee for the rest of my life :wink:
  • bbb84
    bbb84 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    My everything clicks and has been clicking since I was 18. I have played sports all my life, hard and this is the price I pay. As mentioned above, I find that strenth training seems to help allieviate the symptoms and prevent pain. But knees are more delicate than you would think...If you have pain use the R.I.C.E method (Rest, ice, compress and elevate), if this doesn't help you may need to seek further advice. IMO
  • ramseyrose
    ramseyrose Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    My knees always crunch and click especially walking upstairs. My daughter is 14 and her knees crack all the time. An ex-nurse told her it means they are healthy. I
  • lunamare
    lunamare Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    It could be a couple of different things. Sometimes when you are moving a joint, the tendons or ligaments can "snap" over a bone. If you damaged your knee at one time (raises hand!) you could have worn away part of the articular cartilage under the kneecap and you could be feeling/hearing it grinding. Or, if you have a piece of cartilage that is torn, it could be getting caught in the joint and clicking or crunching. If it doesn't cause you pain it's one thing, but you mentioned that you are sore. I'd do RICE (rest, ice, compression, elevation) and see if it helps. Are you stretching enough? Can you touch your toes w/o bending your knees? If your hamstrings are tight, the tendons cross over the knee joint and they could be what is clicking. Anyhoo, if the pain continues to bother you, you should definitely see a doctor about it.
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I was told to take a glucosamine supplement. You can ask your physician about it. I haven't done it yet because it rarely does the clicking but sometimes I do get the aches.
  • tambink
    tambink Posts: 349
    Options
    I have had five knee Surgeries and my knee clicks and does all types of things but the best thing is if it hurts very painfully you need to stop and see your doctor. It could be that it just clicks. If it is swelling you need to ice it and see your doctor.
  • SJay271
    Options
    It could be a couple of different things. Sometimes when you are moving a joint, the tendons or ligaments can "snap" over a bone. If you damaged your knee at one time (raises hand!) you could have worn away part of the articular cartilage under the kneecap and you could be feeling/hearing it grinding. Or, if you have a piece of cartilage that is torn, it could be getting caught in the joint and clicking or crunching. If it doesn't cause you pain it's one thing, but you mentioned that you are sore. I'd do RICE (rest, ice, compression, elevation) and see if it helps. Are you stretching enough? Can you touch your toes w/o bending your knees? If your hamstrings are tight, the tendons cross over the knee joint and they could be what is clicking. Anyhoo, if the pain continues to bother you, you should definitely see a doctor about it.

Thank you, that was really informative, yes it does get sore but only when excercising and imediatly after excercise. I think i'm stretching enough and i can touch my toes without bending my knees. I think i'm going to see my doctor about it, don't want it getting worse. Thanks.
  • natajane
    natajane Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Hiya,

Are you doing mobilising exercises before you start your warm up?

I never knew about these til my personal trainer introduced them to me, but you need to move your joints about basically to get the fluid in there and them warmed up.

That should help loads.

I can't hear what this guy is saying but the girl is doing similar techniques to what I have to do before a work out, and I'm clicking free these days;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rogDQ0dYHg

Then after your exercises, do stretches and a few mobilisations if you feel like it.