SPINACH SMOOTHIE - SO YUMMY!!

Options
healthymomwannabe
healthymomwannabe Posts: 252 Member
Don't let the name fool you, folks. I was apprehensive the first time I tried it, but wow, is it ever DELICIOUS!! And a great way to get some fruit/veggies in for the day. You HAVE TO try it to appreciate it!

2 cups spinach leaves
1 medium banana
1 cup skim milk
1 tablespoon honey
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 drop flaxseed oil

Put all ingredients into your blender and mix until completely liquified. It's that simple! Pour into a glass and ENJOY - it's so YUMMY!!

271 calories
0 fat
11 protein
186 sodium

Replies

• craftylatvian
    craftylatvian Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I will be trying this. Someone else said you can't taste the spinach at all.
  • healthymomwannabe
    Options
    You're absolutely correct - you can only taste a light banana taste. These really are good!
  • spiritmachine
    Options
    Interesting. You are right the idea of drinking spinach doesn't sound so good, but I never shy away from the opportunity to try something new.
  • debcarv
    debcarv Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Could you use ground flax seed instead of the oil?
  • Sixalicious
    Sixalicious Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I love spinach smoothies! Thanks for a new recipe. I usually drink mine with oj, coconut milk, strawberries, and vanilla protein mix.
  • kml07071
    kml07071 Posts: 29
    Options
    Is there anything you can use to substitue the flak seed oil? I am a college student and living in the dorms I do not have alot but I have everything but that. Would it be ok to ommit it or is that an important piece of the recipe?
  • Fattack
    Fattack Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    I may give this a go tomorrow as I don't have the saved calories today, but I'll probably substitute the flaxseed oil for rapeseed as I already have rapeseed oil in my cupboard.
  • kathyw731
    kathyw731 Posts: 22
    Options
    Thanks.... sounds awful, but with such good comments, I'll give it a try.
  • CeleryStalker
    CeleryStalker Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Green smoothies are awesome and SO good for you. If you try one at home and it's gross, has bad consistency, etc, go to a juice bar and get one made by a pro with pro equipment. They aren't supposed to be pasty or disgusting, they are REALLY good and the right combination of stuff and the right kind of blender make ALL the difference. The VitaMix blender (a seriously BLING blender) will do things to those greens that a regular blender just cant pull off.

Thanks for posting this thread. I was all into green smoothies when I was healing from surgery and I had forgotten how delicious they are!

I make mine with spinach, pineapple, flax, goji berries, ginger, and a frozen banana. Tasteylicious!
  • healthymomwannabe
    Options
    Yes, I'm sure you could make a variety of Spinach Smoothies. They are wonderful!! Go ahead and try it, you won't be disappointed. I honestly don't use the flaxseed oil, but I'm sure the other ideas mentioned above would also work.