Mom

Options
RoadDog
RoadDog Posts: 2,946 Member
Here's a Thread that you can post memories/stories of your Mom or being a Mom or Impending Motherhood. I have several moments to share.

Here's the first one:

1969 -- I was in 9th Grade. Family had just moved to Fresno a year earlier. School is fraught with danger when you are the new kid AND you have red hair and freckles. I decided that I didn't want to go to school. Faked an illness. Mom new better, but let it slide. I crawled back in bed, triumphant, listening to my 2 brothers and 2 sisters getting ready for school. I was sooooo crafty.

Anyways, as the siblings headed out the front door, I heard whoops and hollering. A freak snow storm. It never snows in Fresno!! School was cancelled !! All the kids changed into play clothes and went outside to enjoy the snow. I got up and started to change, when my Mom came in my room. "Where do you think you are going?"

Me: "Outside?"

Mom: "You're sick, Michael. You can't go outside." She always called me Michael when I was in trouble.

I never went outside. It never snowed in Fresno again, while I lived there.

Did she know it was snowing when she allowed me to stay home? I think so.

Replies

• Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options
    My mom passed away April 1st of this year after an infirmed and rather unpleasant life (throat cancer,cataracts that led to blindness) so this year will be a lot of mixed feelings.
    Glad that her suffering is over but miss her so much it is hard to think about.
  • canela023
    canela023 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    My mom passed away April 1st of this year after an infirmed and rather unpleasant life (throat cancer,cataracts that led to blindness) so this year will be a lot of mixed feelings.

This is my first year without my Mom too. Think I'm just gonna lay in bed, depressed, and just remember all the good times. (Tears coming to my eyes as I'm writing this)
  • paniolo5
    paniolo5 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Probably not the best story for a healthy living website but here goes....I am #6 of 7 children (16 year age difference from top to bottom). By the time my sister & I came along, my parents were a lot less strict, so we got away with a lot more than my older siblings. My dad was a Boy Scout leader, so my 4 brothers were all in Scouting. Because of the limited budget, breakfast was usually Cheerios or toast with peanut butter. But when the boys were all away on a weekend camping trip, Mom would treat my sister & I with forbidden treats - Pop Tarts one weekend, Hostess Ho-Ho's on another weekend. It was our little secret (although looking back, I'm sure my dad knew) & it made us feel special that she tucked away a few hard earned dollars to give us those treats. She is in the middle of Alzheimer's now & can't remember what she did 5 minutes ago, but thankfully she still has her long term memory for the most part & we talk about those early times often. Fortunately, I don't indulge in those treats anymore, but whenever I see them in the store, it brings back the memories of those special weekends when I was young.
  • Sonofabiscuit2
    Sonofabiscuit2 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Ok so my mom passed when I was young but the woman I call mom, my stepmother has been there for years. I remember in highschool we had a car radio that cut out sometimes usually as we went over the railroad tracks. You may remember a song called Sledgehammer, I think peter gabriel was the singer. One day that song was playing and mom was singing along as we hit the tracks just as he sang "sledgehammer", the radio cut out and we hear mom sing "send flowers". She thought that was the words and she could not understand why he would sing about a sledgehammer. We still rib her about that one.
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    Both of my parents were very lenient, which is how I got to 280 lbs by the time I left high school. For quite a while during my community college days (was still at home), I got a big mac meal PLUS another big mac because my mom had a coupon.
  • Jennjenn1974
    Jennjenn1974 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I may be biased but I have the BEST Mom ever! She has always been there for me and would drop everything to be with me if I needed her. I am very lucky :)
  • morganhccstudent724
    morganhccstudent724 Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    Not my favorite memory of my mom but this is one of my favorite stories my mom tells people about me.

When I was 5, my grandmother bought me The Wizard of Oz on VHS. I was so excited I ripped it open right there and watched it at my grandmother's house. I fell in love and couldn't wait to go home and tell my mom about my new wonderful movie. I walk in the door and yell..."MOOOOOMMMMMM...Come see what grandma got me." She walks in our tv room and as any mother would... says..."Show me what you got." I turned around and thrust the VHS in her face and yell..."It's The Wizard of Oz....It's a great movie." My mom says..."Awwww baby...I know I have seen it already." I turn around with the straightest most serious face and say, "No you haven't I just took it out of the wrapper at grandma's."

Even though I have heard it a million times...I swear at 26 I love listening to my mom tell that story....it makes her smile every single time :-)
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options

I'm so sorry. I can't even imagine not having my mom with me.

My mom is my best friend. I have too many good memories to list. All I really think of is laughter.
  • RoadDog
    Options
    Told this story before...telling it again.

When I was a Marine, I was stationed close to home for a year. Used to go home fro the weekends; many times dragging a Marine or three with me. My Mom fed them, found them a couch or bed to sleep on, generally put up with a houseful of rowdy Marines. We wwere only using the house as a staging area anyways, before we headed out on a "trim hunt."

Before my mother died, she confided in me that many times, me and my buddies devastated it her food supply for the week. We were poor and she had to be creative to feed the family in our wake.

I asked her why she never told me; we would have chipped in. (Probably not, but it's easy to be a better person in retrospect)

She said "I never complained, because I always hoped that when you were stationed away from home, someone else's Mom would take care of you."
  • nikkinikki113
    nikkinikki113 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I always joke with my mom about how much of a pushover she was when I was younger. She was the "You just wait until your father gets home..." parent. We've always been close, and I'm sure there are a million memories I could be sharing...but all I really want to say is I love her. She was an awesome mom, was a great shoulder and ear while I was pregnant, and has made me a great mom as well. In all her humility, she told me she thinks I am a better mother to my daughter, than she was to me. I don't believe it. She's awesome, and I love celebrating her day with her.
  • Jain
    Jain Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    It'll be 10 years this July since my Mum died, and I still find myself thinking 'I must remember to tell Mum that, she'll love it'

She had a terrible life with my father, he was & still is a vicious bully, and back then getting a devorce was just about unheard of (late 60's early 70's) so she stuck with him till I turned 16 and started work, then we could afford to leave & get a little apartment together..

But she tried to make sure that I was protected from him as much as she could, and for that I will be eternally grateful.
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately my mom and I weren't very close and both of my parents passed away a number of years ago. Still, there are some fond memories though. She used to always play with us kids, there were 6 of us and I was number 3. She would play ball with us, croquet, tag, horsing around just everything. And then there were the board games and card games. I remember playing Monopoly a lot and let me tell you the woman hated to lose at anything. She always had the thimble because she loved to sew, and she would always get Boardwalk and Park Place even if it meant cheating. :laugh: I can still remember my older brother calling her out on it (he was the only one who could dare to and get away with it). :laugh: :laugh: I often think about the on-line games and if she were still alive to play them, how would she react because you can't cheat on the on-line games. I've tried. :laugh: :laugh: Still, I do have respect for the way my mom tried to instill morals and values in us. I'm so glad she would always take us to church on Sunday. We would always stop at the gas station in our little bitty town because that was all that was open on Sunday. We would get four packs of gum; Dentyne, Juicy Fruit, Spearmint, and Peppermint. We'd chew the gum while we walked to church and spit it out before church started. Wow, so many other memories that are too numerous to mention. :happy:
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    My Mom is a big part of why I'm here. She has always lived life on her terms; something I have done as well. When she was diagnosed with Diabetes, she adjusted her lifestyle to meet the challenge. For awhile. She slid back into her "Life on my terms" and didn't watch what she ate, didn't exercise. Not that she EVER exercised. Now, 20 something years later, she continues to live life on her terms. Only now her terms include a wheelchair and hemodialysis three times a week that make her tired and even less energetic than before. Her terms have robbed my children of a grandmother who can play with them, and my father of a wife to share their retirement. Doomed to a life of sitting in a chair and reading a book or watching TV, with declining health. Life on her terms, BAH!

I AM NOT GOING OUT THAT WAY!

I've learned that everyone has something to teach us, either good or bad. I love my mother and am starting to believe that the example she has set for my family, may well be her greatest gift to us. It really sucks as a gift though. I would much rather have had a BB gun.
  • FORKDOWN
    FORKDOWN Posts: 1,754
    Options
    I dont have enough time to descibe how awesome my Mom is. She had a career yet was always there for us. Always put everyone ahead of her needs. :heart:
  • RoadDog
    Options
    Mom was no gourmet cook. She was a survival cook. She fed a family of 7 on a budget. Food did not go to waste!! You ate what was on your plate or you did not get up from the table. I spent many evenings sitting at the kitchen table pushing canned peas around the plate.

But, my mom prided herself on her biscuits and gravy. Made them quite often. Would even announce it. I remember Mom inviting me on a Camping Trip they were taking with my Dad's work. I was about 30. She announced ".....I'm even going to make MY biscuits and gravy."

I ate those biscuits and gravy everytime she made them. I HATE biscuits and gravy, anyways, and hers were the worst. Her biscuits were like little hard balls of alum. They sucked the moisture from your mouth. Her gravy was runny and I'm not sure what meat product she used. Probably whatever was the cheapest.

My father ate them all his life and never complained and neither did I. "Cooking with Love" is probably a cliche, but it really was true in this instance. Wish she could have used flavor, texture and/or nutrition instead, though.

I lied to her about her biscuits and gravy until the day she died. I'd lie about them for the rest of my life, if she was here to make them for me.
  • AdoraK
    AdoraK Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    My mother loves to tell about one time she was driving through town and someone cut her off. I was in the back seat about 4-5 years old. My mother called the person a stupid B*tch under her breath so I would not hear her. Well boy she was wrong. It was summer so the car windows were down. I yelled it right out the window at the person. My mother could not believe I did it. She laughs about it now but not then.
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Told this story before...telling it again.

When I was a Marine, I was stationed close to home for a year. Used to go home fro the weekends; many times dragging a Marine or three with me. My Mom fed them, found them a couch or bed to sleep on, generally put up with a houseful of rowdy Marines. We wwere only using the house as a staging area anyways, before we headed out on a "trim hunt."

Before my mother died, she confided in me that many times, me and my buddies devastated it her food supply for the week. We were poor and she had to be creative to feed the family in our wake.

I asked her why she never told me; we would have chipped in. (Probably not, but it's easy to be a better person in retrospect)

She said "I never complained, because I always hoped that when you were stationed away from home, someone else's Mom would take care of you."

Oh my goodness, that just made me tear up. It is amazing what our Mothers do for us.
  • RoadDog
    Options
    I was about 5 years old. Can't recall what grievous injustice my Mom perpetrated against me, but I was old enough to know I was not going to take it any more. Told my Mom that I didn't like it here, I didn't like her and I didn't want to live here ANYMORE!!

She took a suitcase down, led me to my room and packed my bag for me. Led me to the front porch, set the suitcase down and shut the door behind me.

I was free to lead my life unfettered by her dictatorial rule.

I cirlced the blodk a couple times, but was unable to get very far, because I was not allowed to cross the street. When my father got home that night, he found me hunkered down behind the bushes between the house and the driveway. He took me inside. Mom made dinner and we never broached my freedom again.