Anyone else using a 40-30-30 ratio?

Options
Or a range very similar? 40% carbs, 30% protein, and 30% (healthy) fats. I'm experimenting and I'm finding this to be a pretty good nutrient ratio combination for energy/overall feeling for me. Anyone else feel the same and have success with this?

I did research and when you search for it the first thing that pops up is The Zone haha. I'm not following a specific "diet" or anything, just eating healthy and experimenting with ratios...thanks for any info!

Replies

• Ellem86
    Ellem86 Posts: 204
    Options
    Hi there, I do 40-30-30. It's not extreme at all but I really struggle to keep my carbs down. I find that if I'm over 40% on carbs I'm generally hungrier. You can always give it a go for a week and see how you do!
  • luvmybentley
    luvmybentley Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I did the Zone diet before my wedding, also did step aerobics with dumbells for upper body 4-5x per week, and lost 30lb in 2 months. The stats actually showed that I put on 11 lbs of muscle while losing 14% body fat. The Zone book gives ways to calculate these stats. I felt great! Unfortunately I got pregnant soon after, and again after that... and kind of stopped. Now I am back in the game. I'm a newbie here (1 week in), following the 40-30-30 formula, and walking on treadmill for 30-45 min/day...I've already lost 4 lbs. Very happy, so I'm sticking with the 40-30-30 ratio. Works for me:) I have noticed that with this ratio my mental clarity has improved greatly, but I am finding it challenging to get all the protein in. Going to start eating more eggs this week, maybe adding nuts too if I can stay under my calorie goal of 1200.

If you have't already, read The Zone books, tons of good info and recipes. Good luck!
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I do 40/30/30 but mine's 40 protein/30 carbs/ 30 fats and it works well for me. I have found that I have a window for carbs where i feel good. Too many and I am sluggish and get spikes/crashes (yes I eat whole grain. I mill my own flour and all our baked goods are made from it). If I eat too few then I have a serious brain fog, can't remember a darn thing and can't focus for the life of me!

Glad you've found what's working for you. I think that's a huge part of the battle! I did high carb/low fat/moderate protein several years ago and was obsessed with food because I was ALWAYS starving! Now I can eat the same amount but I'm totally satisfied and don't have to worry as much about food. As long as I keep it unprocessed and within my ratios I do fine. :)
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    It's working for me. Too many carbs and I get sluggish and don't lose weight, too few and I get brain fog and have a difficult time functioning. I don't always hit the percentages dead on, but close enough. On the rare occasion that I eat processed white carbs I can realllly feel a difference! The carb cravings will last for days, and I feel like I have a hangover.
  • streko3a
    streko3a Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I am on 40-30-30 ratio after reading Jillian Michaels' book where she divides people into 3 categories: slow, fast and balanced oxidizers. So, for balanced, she says, 40-30-30 works the best. Can't say I don't struggle at all, but it's mostly because of my love to different pastries. Oh, sometimes I just can't pass by a muffin :(