Avacados

Options
About two years ago, following any avocado that I ate, I'd start having severe chest pain. Thought I was having a heart attack, but 1) it came in waves and 2) I'm "too" young. So after a little while, I figured out that it was avocados causing all the pain. It was like a weird "squeezing" pain. About three months ago, I found out that one of my partners at work has the same reaction. So I googled it and got more information. Apparently it is a true food allergy, but essentially with the hives on the inside of the digestive track. It's called a latex-fruit allergy. There is a long list of foods and other things that one could also be allergic to, but not necessarily.

I found a new one last night.

Protein powder. I used it because I was REALLY short on protein, but not carbs or fats. Guess who won't be using protein powders anymore.

Anyone else have this experience?

Replies

• firegirlred
    firegirlred Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    About two years ago, following any avocado that I ate, I'd start having severe chest pain. Thought I was having a heart attack, but 1) it came in waves and 2) I'm "too" young. So after a little while, I figured out that it was avocados causing all the pain. It was like a weird "squeezing" pain. About three months ago, I found out that one of my partners at work has the same reaction. So I googled it and got more information. Apparently it is a true food allergy, but essentially with the hives on the inside of the digestive track. It's called a latex-fruit allergy. There is a long list of foods and other things that one could also be allergic to, but not necessarily.

Protein powder. I used it because I was REALLY short on protein, but not carbs or fats. Guess who won't be using protein powders anymore.

• songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options

Yea, after eating PBJ Uncrustables. I tried them twice, and both times I felt like my throat was closing after just a bite...I don't know if it's some preservative in there or what, but I so don't like it. I avoid most food containing that many preservatives anyway.
  • time2wrk
    time2wrk Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    OMG, I would be sooo sad, I love avocados!

Glad it wasn't a more severe reaction, guess no more protein powder for you!
  • Canelitas
    Canelitas Posts: 712
    Options
    ummm...I love Avocados as well :love:

The only thing I am "allergic" to is chocolate .... :cry: and I " " because I'm only 1% allergic to it....isn't that weird?
  • elliott062907
    elliott062907 Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    OMG, I would be sooo sad, I love avocados!

Glad it wasn't a more severe reaction, guess no more protein powder for you!

yum yum mee too. I used to not be able to eat mushrooms, but I started them back little by little nad yum for them too.
  • elliott062907
    elliott062907 Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    ummm...I love Avocados as well :love:

The only thing I am "allergic" to is chocolate .... :cry: and I " " because I'm only 1% allergic to it....isn't that weird?

Have you tried organic or dark?? Or carab??
  • jlwhelan1
    jlwhelan1 Posts: 664
    Options
    I am so glad you are okay.
    Be careful!
  • dachinababe
    Options
    aww..glad u are alright..
    i just findout i am partially allergic to ice cream... ICE CREAM one of my only food guilty pleasures...i guess that's coming off the list..