elliptical ?

Options
momma_roo
momma_roo Posts: 146 Member
So I joined the Y and yesterday I used the elliptical for the first time and after about 15 minutes my toes and parts of my feet went completely numb. It was a great workout, but I had to stop and start a few times to get feeling back into my feet. Does anyone know if this is normal? I want to go use the machine again today because I really liked the workout it gave me. Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks.

Replies

• yankeefamily05
    Options
    Completey normal, Some say it is because your shoes are tied too tight! But I find that it happens when I run more on my toes(crazy right) so I simply pick me feet up every couple of minutes and wiggle my toes:)
  • ashleighasbury
    Options
    it sometimes happens to me too. but i just thought it was becuase i have new workout shoes...:)
  • hayley_m
    hayley_m Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    i get numb toes if i do it too long....it used to be anything over 20 minutes and my toes would tingle, now i can manage about 35 mins before the numbness starts! apparently it can be caused by doing it on the balls of your feet rather than flat footed and pushing with your knees..... i try to make sure i do this for the majority of my work out but i know that when im going fast i push with my feet....especially when im dancing along to music!!!
  • Allibubba
    Allibubba Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    :smile: This happens to me once in a while too. Sometimes I think it's because my runners are laced a little too tight. I try moving your toes around insude your shoes while you are on the elliptical. Also, reversing your direction and pedalling backwards helps.

Hope this helps!
  • christinar2008
    christinar2008 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I have a elliptical and my husband and I both have experienced this. It happens but I am not sure what causes it.
  • mike20603
    mike20603 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    In my experience, it helps if I periodically adjust my feet to the back of the footpads/footrests of the machine. It seems as I'm exercizing, they (my feet) tend to move forward, puttung me in a weird/less comfortable posture.
  • MightyMom4
    MightyMom4 Posts: 180
    Options
    Your supposed to keep your feet flat on the machine....make sure you are keeping your heels down. I had the same problem and this helps.
  • TJtastic
    TJtastic Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem but I've found that alternating between going forward and going backward helps. Plus it feels like you're working different muscles going backward. :wink:
  • navajoon
    navajoon Posts: 355
    Options
    Good to know this is a common occurrence. I always wondered! What helps me is curling up my toes/wiggling my toes a bit.
  • Anna_15
    Anna_15 Posts: 22
    Options
    I get this too! Think it's because of the pressure you put on the front part of your feet and toes - it feels simlilar to when i've been wearing high heels for too long. Glad its normal though... don't need more expensive shoes, just to correct my form! Also that's a really good point about alternating forwards and backwards, I'll try that too :)
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    It gets better. I don't know what causes it. I used to get it after 15 minutes, then after 20, I was up to 45 min and it started happening now after 40 mins, but now it doesn't happen at all.
  • momma_roo
    momma_roo Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great advise! I will try some different things today :)