no meat

Options
ok! one of my female friends is a vegetarian and challenged me that i could not go with out eating any meat not one bite, for two months. ( she knows i cant resist a challenge. not fair) i tried to use the excuse that im weight training very strict again and need the protein but after walking into my kitchen she pulled the whey protein and natural proteins from other sources card on me. sorry guys but we all know its true, women are smarter than men, just try debating an issue with one, enough said:laugh: . i eat 215 grams of protein a day. i was a full time cattleman till i was 23 and a natural born carnivore but i have excepted the challenge and refuse to fail when i have sole control.

my question ? is it even possible to eat that much protein a day with out taking in loads and loads of calories with out meat and does any one else want to try this maddness with me.

Replies

• nichols
    nichols Posts: 240
    Options
    ok! one of my female friends is a vegetarian and challenged me that i could not go with out eating any meat not one bite, for two months. ( she knows i cant resist a challenge. not fair) i tried to use the excuse that im weight training very strict again and need the protein but after walking into my kitchen she pulled the whey protein and natural proteins from other sources card on me. sorry guys but we all know its true, women are smarter than men, just try debating an issue with one, enough said:laugh: . i eat 215 grams of protein a day. i was a full time cattleman till i was 23 and a natural born carnivore but i have excepted the challenge and refuse to fail when i have sole control.

my question ? is it even possible to eat that much protein a day with out taking in loads and loads of calories with out meat and does any one else want to try this maddness with me.
  • jlwhelan1
    jlwhelan1 Posts: 664
    Options
    Hi
    I was a vegetarian for 20 plus years. I now eat meat occasionally, high quality stuff.

Here are some links. Good luck with your competition.
    http://ksteveh.tripod.com/protein.html
    which I found in this site (the dude looks pretty muscular to me...without the help of meat protein.):laugh:
    http://vegetarianbodybuilder.com/187.html
    tinkerbell-pixie-1.jpg
    You can do it, Nichols. I believe in you.
  • elliott062907
    elliott062907 Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    I was a veggie lover for over 2 years. Then I started eating fish. Now I eat very lean meat and some days have none. No, I won't do the challenge with you, but watch how much protein supplements you do eat. Every one's body temprement is not the same. Good luck to you.

My suggestion?? Try it for 2 weeks first.....
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,962 Member
    Options
    I googled "protein sources" here's an interesting one. I guess "vegetarian protein sources" is the better question.

http://www.theveggietable.com/articles/protein.html

Just as a side note:
    Soy has a lot of phyto-estrogen. Males should research how this will affect their hormones, libido etc.

:glasses:
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    Just as a side note:
    Soy has a lot of phyto-estrogen. Males should research how this will affect their hormones, libido etc.

:glasses:

LOL--yeah, check it out first. My doc suggested I start drinking soy milk as I am probably pre-menopausal. She said that the hormone pills can increase risk of heart disease--not a good thing for a diabetic!--but she said there's been some good results so far from soy milk.
  • ginnie
    ginnie Posts: 44
    Options
    i've been with out meat pretty much the day i went on here. a little bit of fish here but i just can't do it lol i need some kind of meat ,but good luck to you!
  • nichols
    Options
    i visited the web sites you all suggested and got some great ideas. you all are the best.:smile: wish me luck. this is not going to be easy and if i loose:cry: , well lets just say she gets to decide what i have to wear into a crowded local bar of 200 plus people:embarassed: you only live once rite.:happy: thank you and god bless.
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    Nichols, just remember, plant proteins don't have all the essential amino acids, make sure you activate it by eating the right combinations of plant proteins and vitamins. You can google essential amino acids. Even if you eat TONS of plant protein, you still need to do this or you won't get what you need.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,962 Member
    Options
    another good point, banks.

pyong_emoticons-17-1.gif
  • nichols
    Options
    thank u banks. will do. def dont want to loose any muscle mass because of a challenge. u guys are great.
  • conniptionfits
    Options
    i couldnt do it. I'm a meataterian. Ya know? I only eat meat. It's hard sometimes...
  • nichols
    Options
    im doing good so far. no meat yet. its really harder than i thought though. gained a new respect for those who choose to live this life style. they showed me the outfit.:blushing: not much to it.:embarassed: i cant give up at all. wish me luck. good luck and god bless to all.
  • pinktoque
    pinktoque Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    im doing good so far. no meat yet. its really harder than i thought though. gained a new respect for those who choose to live this life style. they showed me the outfit.:blushing: not much to it.:embarassed: i cant give up at all. wish me luck. good luck and god bless to all.

Good luck, nichols! Glad you're doing it healthy and did your research/got feedback from us before diving in -- very smart of you to make sure you're getting all that you need and from the proper other sources.

You can do it!
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    Options

aw LOL I'm rooting for you Nichols!!!

so are you gonna tell us what this outfit consists off....LMBO I'm sensing you're def. not gonna want to fail though huh?

I wish you all the best....I wish I could be of more help w/ the protein....I do eat meat...not much...I'm a hater of tofu sad to say, but I do love beans and all kinds so that helps, yogurt, peanut butter....eggs OH wait you can eat eggs and dairy right?

okay hugs and best to you!! woo woo woo! you can doooo it!:glasses: :drinker: :bigsmile:
    ali
  • hnlymark
    hnlymark Posts: 191
    Options
    Hey. I saw this post earlier and I found this while reading up on protein:

http://exercise.about.com/cs/nutrition/a/protein.htm

I am not a vegetarian, but I hope this helps, good luck...
  • nichols
    Options
    you guys have found some great web sites that have really helped alot. dont know what i would do with out ya. thank you so much. and im not shy at all, i think thats why they are hoping i fail because i always keep my word. the outfit consist of a skirt, half shirt and i have to wear my cowboy boots and hat. not going to fail. i ran security at this bar for 5 years and my co- workers work off duty details on that nite.