Help for a non-stetchy runner?

Options
Wynnie
Wynnie Posts: 225 Member
I have run all my life. Now I am trying to limber up and have been doing yoga for several years. It has helped some, but my glutes and hams are just relentlessly tight (I think, from the running). Anyone else dealt with this? Any advice?

Replies

• Wynnie
    Options
    I have run all my life. Now I am trying to limber up and have been doing yoga for several years. It has helped some, but my glutes and hams are just relentlessly tight (I think, from the running). Anyone else dealt with this? Any advice?
  • nichols
    nichols Posts: 240
    Options
    no answers but im with ya. when i was younger i was big into martial arts and was very flexible. could do splits, straddles and every thing but then got into foot ball and wrestling and discovered serious weight lifting. since then no matter what i do i can not get a good stretch in those areas or any flexibility. my doctor once told me that because of having short muscle cells my body was made to pack on muscle but i would have a hard time keeping flexible and stretching with weight training. i will try and research it further for the both of us. maybe some of the wonderful people on here will give a good idea also.
  • TNTPete
    TNTPete Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I do have some help for ya!
    After you have been in the shower for a while, in a HOT shower, try to stretch your legs outs. I know this sounds silly but it has helped me tremendously. The warm water warms the muscles so... try to just touch your toes and stretch it out (I know scary images of falling out and being found twisted up naked on the side of the shower) just take it easy it does help.

Other suggestion after you run and cool down, try lying on your back and use a jump rope, towel whatever and put both legs straight out above you put the rope around one foot, let the other leg relax down so you have one up and one down, slowly bring roped foot to the right then left, then switch legs. These stretches helped me. I find with the jump rope I can pull the tension a little bit more than without it. You will slowly be able to pull the extended leg straighter and longer after a bit. But do it often!!

Good Luck!!
  • hessied
    hessied Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Hi Wynnie.

I have no advice, but your name caught my eye, because I have a daughter named Wynne and we call her Wynnie. It is such an uncommon name and I was just curious if your name was Wynne as well. :smile:

My hamstrings are very tight all the time as well. I've basically been touching my toes to stretch them out, so I'm curious to see other suggestions...
  • Wynnie
    Options
    Sorry - it's my screen name, but it is one of my favorite names. I derive it from the Tolkien novel heroine named "Eowyn", who was both tough and beautiful.

PS - saw Wynne's photo - she's cute. And maybe since her daddy's an imperial storm trooper (?), she'll grow up to be a tough cookie too?

PPS - is the 1/2 marathon the Big Sur, by any chance? I'm doing that one in Nov.