Type 2 Diabetes & Cinnamon

Options
I recently read that cinnamon can help lower blood sugar level. Has anyone been using this and what have been your results?

I started taking it earlier this week and haven't yet noticed a difference, but I don't expect immediate results.

Anyone out there please let me know your experience with this.

Thanks.

Heather

Replies

• brown02134
    brown02134 Posts: 5
    Options
    I tried adding 1.5g of cinnamon a day (500mg x 3) for a month and saw no difference. I already take Actos and have a 6.1 A1C, so your experience may differ.
  • diet4amy
    diet4amy Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I took 1000mg a day for about 3 weeks and it did nothing.
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    I have heard that it raises your insulin levels so your body can process sugar quicker... which is why it helps with weight loss...

It also helps your cholesterol, and arthritis.

I heard you are suppose to take a teaspoon a day with a glass of water.
  • jonikeffer
    jonikeffer Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    My father (who is a nutritionist and does a lot of ongoing reading of the studies done) mentioned cinnamon as being positive relating to blood sugar. But my understanding wasn't that it wouldn't lower it on a long term basis (the way oatmeal can lower cholesterol). I believe it helps your body process the sugar it gets in meals and prevents blood sugar spikes. So I don't know whether you'll see the difference in your post-meal finger sticks or in your HbA1c long term labs, but my guess would be the finger sticks.
  • aunt_hbomb
    aunt_hbomb Posts: 204
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I bought 350 capsules of 1000 mg so I'm gonna try it for a while and see if there is any significant difference. It will be good for me to get back in the habbit of checking my blood sugars more than once a week.
  • aunt_hbomb
    aunt_hbomb Posts: 204
    Options
    I don't know what it was, but this morning my AM blood sugar was 119. That's the lowest it has been in at least 6 months. I'm going to have to do some more research on this subject. It could be contributed to by my diet and exercise, but no matter what it was down. Yipee!
  • sammybey
    sammybey Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I manage patients with diabetes-- and while a handful of my patients have tried cinnamon (either adding it to their foods, or capsules), I have not seen any improvement on their blood sugar readings, even after several months.