Question on starvation mode.

Options
When I started my diet I was having trouble keeping under my goal. Now I'm having trouble making 1200 cals. Mainly due to exercise. I know they say you need at least 1200 cals a day to prevent starvation mode but if I eat 1300 cals and work off 400 running will that still trigger the starvation mode? I get the nastygram if I eat less than 1200 but if I eat 1300 and work off 400 putting me at 900 I dont get the nastygram. Also is starvation mode fact or myth? Thanks

Replies

• allegram
    allegram Posts: 117
    Options
    BUMP
    I am definitely having the same issue.
  • JesaGrace
    JesaGrace Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    me too sometimes...
  • rachielyon
    rachielyon Posts: 56
    Options
    When I started my diet I was having trouble keeping under my goal. Now I'm having trouble making 1200 cals. Mainly due to exercise. I know they say you need at least 1200 cals a day to prevent starvation mode but if I eat 1300 cals and work off 400 running will that still trigger the starvation mode? I get the nastygram if I eat less than 1200 but if I eat 1300 and work off 400 putting me at 900 I dont get the nastygram. Also is starvation mode fact or myth? Thanks

Starvation mode is fact. Your body burns off calories which tells itself that it has "less fuel" and therefore it begins to "save" calories to make up the difference. Check this out:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo
  • AmandaJPK
    AmandaJPK Posts: 26
    Options
    I have the same problem too. I often eat a lot of foods but just cannot seem to make it to 1200. I usually eat around 1100. But I have to tell you, I've been under by only 7 calories and it yelled at me. Finicky little calculator. :smile:
  • lbetancourt
    lbetancourt Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Me too. I am finding if I work out then try to eat back calories.. I am just searching for things to eat when I am not even hungry and then it makes me ill. I am also concerned when I reach my goal weight.. my calorie intake jumps up to like 1800. I don't know how I will do that either.
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
  • amarie35
    amarie35 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    YOur net should be @ least 1200 calories in order to not put your body in starvation mode. I don't know why it doesn't count the exerise calories; I think it should. So, whether you see the nastygram or not, always check your net calories & try to maintain @ least 1200 a day. =)
  • maryloo2011
    maryloo2011 Posts: 446
    Options
    There are a lot of healthy, calorie-dense food options that you can eat post-workout.

Only other suggestion I have is to eat enough prior to workout so you are not trying to eat back all your calories at night/all at once. If you workout on a regular basis, you should know about how much calories you burn and therefore try to eat a lot of those before you exercise.