Ideal weight???

lemonychick
lemonychick Posts: 81 Member
edited September 27 in Health and Weight Loss
I'm asking a lot I know, but what would my ideal weight be d'you guys think?

I'm 5'7"
Female
Age 38

I've set myself a goal of 140lbs (10stone), but a few people have remarked that this may be too light.
My family are all big/tall (I'm called "Titch" in my family!)
My Ma is 5'7.5", my Pa is 6'3", one brother 6'1" and another is 6'7" - we do all have big bones! lol!

I'm really interested in what you think.....the last thing I want to do is set myself an unrealistic goal, seeing as failure is not an option!

Cheers guys!

Replies

• mrb_9110
    mrb_9110 Posts: 189 Member
    My answer would be to just start on your weight loss. As you lose weight, measure yourself and take progress pictures. Stop losing weight when you feel comfortable with your body and feel strong and healthy. There really should be no number to aim for.
  • megz4987
    megz4987 Posts: 1,008 Member
    I'm 5'8 and when I was 140 everyone told me I was getting too skinny but I just thought it was because they had only seen me huge, haha. This was me at 140lb- http://img31.imageshack.us/i/unled1b.png/
    Sorry I don't know how to post pictures!

I think it's a good weight.
  • h3h8m3
    h3h8m3 Posts: 455 Member
    I have the same question... my hunch is that we need to worry less about the height/weight ratio, and figure out what our body fat % is. I'd like some expert opinions, but I think getting to the right body fat percentage is the real end-game here.

I am 6'3, and am built like a tank. My head is too big for any hat, my shoulders are half again as wide as another 6'3 friend of mine. Think offensive lineman.

So when I see a BMI chart that tells me to get down to 200 pounds, I think it's crazy.
  • forever28
    forever28 Posts: 374 Member
    I am also 5' 7". I weighed between 132-140 in high school and I looked great (If I may say so!). I did not look sickly. I have an athletic build. However, like someone else mentioned - start your journey and reevaluate your goals as you start to lose weight. I'm shooting for 175 right now & I plan on reevaluating once I get there. I still have about 30 more lbs to get to that point though. Hang in there! You're doing fantastic! :flowerforyou: :heart:
  • Tencie0615
    Tencie0615 Posts: 72 Member
    i am 5'7" and a small frame and my dr said a good healthy weight for me would be 145....
  • rachel871
    rachel871 Posts: 113 Member
    I'm 5'6" and I've set my goal to be the same (140lb). 133lb (9 1/2st) would actually put me in the middle of a healthy BMI range, with 140 being towards the top end, but I don't think that 133 is realistic for me.

Why don't you set a goal and then see how you feel and look as you get closer to it?

Good luck!
  • holli_walker
    holli_walker Posts: 109 Member
    I agree with several other people just lose weight till you are happy and feel good. The bmi does take body frame into the consideration. I have looked into this alot. I am 5 5 and have a xl frame so I dont think 150 would look good. So I set my goal at 165 then see how I feel when I get there. Good luck with your journey :)
  • h3h8m3
    The bmi does take body frame into the consideration. I have looked into this alot.

Did you mean does NOT take body frame into consideration?
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    sorry. cpu keeps doubleposting.
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Just keep setting mini goals.
    There's no such thing as an ideal weight.
    I can be 160 and look small and flabby, or I can be 160 and look ripped.

Just work on bettering your body composition and lowering bodyfat.
    Don't worry about the number on the scale.
  • holli_walker
    holli_walker Posts: 109 Member
    The bmi does take body frame into the consideration. I have looked into this alot.

Did you mean does NOT take body frame into consideration?

Yes I meant does not. Sorry my phone auto corrected to what it wanted.
  • ronnie808
    ronnie808 Posts: 1
    http://www.dietandfitnesstoday.com/bodyFrame.php - It's a BMI calculator that helps you figure out your body frame size.

http://www.dietandfitnesstoday.com/ideal-body-weight-calculator.php - It does give you a range. Once you know your body frame size, you know where you fall in your range.

I'm 5"1" so my range is max 132lbs. which I think is delusional. I'm shooting for 150 and I'll see how I look and feel then. :)
  • jonikeffer
    jonikeffer Posts: 218 Member
    I'm 5'0" and although I was still curvy when I was 18 and weighed 100 lbs, I don't think that's a realistic goal for me at 35. I'm shooting for 115. I'd even be happy at 120. But honestly to the person who said 132 seemed "delusional" for 5'1"....it's actually a high normal for our short height. Unless you plan on having a *lot* of muscle, someone around 5'0"-5'1" would still have a decent amount of fat left at 130. Now maybe you want to have 150 be a mini goal....but that's my starting weight now, and I have a LOT of fat on me right now. :)
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    you cant just go by your height. If you carry weight proportionally then you would probably look very nice at 10 st.
    Im 5ft 6, and 10 stone looks too much on me because i just carry it on my legs and bum.

Id suggest aiming for the 10 stone and see how you feel then. I dont think thats too skinny at all for your height,
  • h3h8m3
    bump
  • ColeyCannoli
    ColeyCannoli Posts: 147
    Lol, I'm 5'7" too and am now at 140 but I sill have 15lbs to lose. I've got small bones though. Don't worry about the ultimate goal, just keep going until you feel good and don't go so far that you feel weak or sick.

Good luck!
  • rissaface
    rissaface Posts: 129 Member
    You're amazing! Thank you for the link! It makes my goal so much more achievable!!!!! There's no way I would ever get to 121 or 141lbs while being 5'8"! Woo hoo ;)
  • lemonychick
    lemonychick Posts: 81 Member
    I checked my frame size, using that link. I measured my wrist and gave my height and (no surprise) I have a large frame.
    The ideal weight calculator suggested a weight between 135 and 159 lbs!!!
    I'm so happy to re-adjust my goals to 150 - I carry weight all over, in an hourglass way, (big boobs, big bum, small waist) so I think 150 will look fine.
    At the end of the day I just want to be healthy, looking better is just a nice by product of that.

Thanks for the input guys, and the advice!

:flowerforyou:
This discussion has been closed.