headaches

Options
Because im not eating as many calories, could it be causing me headaches? Last night, I was 'hungry' but since it was past 9pm, I didn't eat anything, & I woke up today w/a migraine. I do get migraines regularly, but mostly stress/smell related. Do you think my body is going through a 'withdrawl' type thing?

Replies

• Losingitin2011
    Losingitin2011 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Your body doesn't care what time it is. If you are hungry after 9, then eat something. It easily could be the cause of your headaches. When I skip eating at night I always get migraines.
  • book_worm_mommy
    book_worm_mommy Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    'Your body doesn't care what time it is'

Haha, that's so true, lol

I was planning on going to bed around 10pm, so I didn't want to eat so late, but I didn't or don't have to eat a full meal, maybe just a snack of carrots& celery.
  • ccclay
    ccclay Posts: 28
    Options
    Gotta be careful you're not putting your body on starvation mode! I've been struggling on 1200 when not exercising and feeling tired, aggitated and hungry! So I've decided to make the weight loss per week less so I can eat a couple of cals more a day. . . I figured this is a lifestyle change so can be a little bit more 'relaxed'! ;)
  • Losingitin2011
    Losingitin2011 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    That is what I did and I'm feeling a lot better for it. I figure that the weight didn't come on overnight, I'm not going to lose it overnight.
  • jonikeffer
    jonikeffer Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    If it's really truly a migraine, it could be the "stress" of your diet/exercise changes causing them. Remember migraines are a brain event (my god as we all know who have had one, how crazy they can be!) and not just a "really bad headache", so while not eating enough can cause changes in blood sugar which can cause normal headaches, I would not expect a skipped meal to really cause a true migraine. But stress can cause them, so if you've made some radical changes lately, it could be possible.
  • kathyhull
    kathyhull Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    You may want to try eating a little more protein spread out over the day and even in the evening before bed if you're hungry. I love the EAS AdvantEDGE shakes - 17 grams of protein, 110 calories and little or no sugar. I try to eat 100 to 200 calories every 2 to 3 hours all day and I don't count the calories in fresh vegies like broccoli, green beans, celery, etc... The fiber in those helps to keep you full longer.

I think my body needs a little more protein than the site thinks I need. Also remember that cutting back on coffee and cafinated drinks can cause headaches so, if you're cutting pop (soda) from your diet abrubptly, that can be the cause as well.
  • l3ugjuice
    l3ugjuice Posts: 233
    Options
    I had headaches pretty consistently for about 2 weeks after I cut out most of my caffeine intake (meaning, went from 16 oz of coffee in the morning + 5-6 16oz glasses of tea per day to 1 8oz cup of coffee in the morning, and no tea...ever). Havent had a problem after that, though.

So many different things can cause headaches, though. I attribute it to my body readjusting to life w/o caffeine, but it easily could have been from stress, or from a crick in my neck, or allergies...or who knows what else. Tylenol was my friend...
  • book_worm_mommy
    book_worm_mommy Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanx for all the replies! Before starting MFP, I cut down my coffee, I went from 8cups per day, to 1/2-1 cup, but then my soda intake went up! So I cut out soda, which is really hard, since I work for mcd's & get all I want for free! But I gradually cut that out too. I don't eat a lot of protein, so ill look into that. But it was a migraine, after I threw up, the pressure on my head started to lessen, im thinking its the stress over my food, I need to relax a little, & not be so hard on myself.

Thanx again!! :blushing: