Questions about HIIT

Options
I've been needing to shake up my workout and normally do steady-state running or sometimes longer walk/run intervals on the treadmill. Yesterday, I decided to try 60 sec HIIT intervals, but when I was done with 20 minutes of the intervals, my average distance/time was about the same as with my steady-state runs--is that normal, or should it be faster? I don't know if I was doing too drastic of a change between high speed and rest periods. I was running at 9mph for the high intensity, and walking at 4mph for the rest period. Should I be still jogging for the rest period? I'm not sure I could keep it up for very long if I did, but maybe that's the point? Also, the treadmill belt takes almost 10 seconds to catch up to the drastic speed changes...but I figured it evened out between taking 10 seconds on each end. Is HIIT better done outside with a stopwatch? I like using my treadmill because I can do it while home with my kids, and I think I'm less likely to stick with it if I have to find time to do it in the evenings. Thanks.

Replies

• bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    I do a slow "jog" for the rest period.
    Most of my HIIT is elliptical or the stair stepper type machine.

I do 30-45 seconds for the sprinting part, and I'm flat out as hard as I can go.
    Then anywhere from 30-90 seconds rest. Then I go again.
    I chance up my interval times, trying to get used to finding the energy to run for 30 seconds even when I'm tired. Helps with soccer. I don't always get 45 seconds to catch my breath before sprinting downfield again.

I really don't pay attention to my distance when doing HIIT. But I can imagine it would be the same or less than my steady pace distance. I don't think you should worry about it. Focus on running as hard as you can for those 30-60 seconds that you're doing it.
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    ahh stupid computer double posted. sorry
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    There are many different variations. I think whatever feels best for you is fine as long as you're completely spent after 20 minutes or so. This page lists some of popular variations http://www.intervaltraining.net/hiit.html. FWIW, I do it the BFL way.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    There are many different variations. I think whatever feels best for you is fine as long as you're completely spent after 20 minutes or so. This page lists some of popular variations http://www.intervaltraining.net/hiit.html. FWIW, I do it the BFL way.

I do a cross between the 30 sec and 60 sec intermediate version, on the treadmill. (I do 45 second sprints at 10.5-11 mph followed by rest periods at 60% of the sprint speed, for 75 seconds)
  • plain_jane
    plain_jane Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    OK, thanks guys! Just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing it "wrong". I had read that it can be quite effective to follow your HIIT session with a 30 minute walk, so I started doing that, but then after a bit of recovery, I ended up doing some more jogging, so I don't know that I gave all I had. Although I was REALLY tired this morning and could hardly drag myself out of bed. Maybe that's a sign my body was noticing the different workout? Anyway, I'll keep experimenting with what works well and pushing the intensity up. Thanks for your responses!