Too much protein?

Options
I do well keeping under my calorie count but i have a problem staying under my protein count. If i work out, is it a problem going over the protein? I was always under the impression that protein is good for you.

Replies

• kdouglas11
    kdouglas11 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    protein is VERY important... and in my opinion, MFP sets it pretty low. My dietician told me to be getting between 60 and 80 grams, more if i'm strength training, but MFP has mine set at 49...

so I wouldn't worry about it.
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about it if you're under your overall calorie goal.

Adjust your goals if needed. Bumping protein up wouldn't hurt.

AND
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/post/search
  • Amy1066
    Amy1066 Posts: 30
    Options
    HI,
    I have the same problem and asked the same question. I don't think it is a big deal, as long as you stay within your calorie count.
  • DebraBuschman
    DebraBuschman Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Is it because you love protein rich foods? As long as you are getting healthy sources of protein, I don't see a problem. I believe that our bodies know what they need, if we will just listen. If you have a love for healthy, protein rich foods then maybe you're a person who needs more protein. MFP is awesome, and I LOVE it, but its suggestions should not be a complete substitute for our own best judgment about what our bodies need. Unless you're suffering because of your protein consumption (like you're frequently constipated or aren't getting enough vitamin C, for example) I wouldn't worry about the number. :)
  • kyodi
    kyodi Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I didn't like the base calorie ratio that MFP set for me so I customized it to 40% carb 40% protein and 20% fat. I life weights at work 5 days a week so I wanted the extra protein.
  • Meganne1982
    Meganne1982 Posts: 451
    Options
    Don't worry about "going over" on protein. IMHO, "going over" (especially by what MFP suggests) on protein and fiber is never a problem :)
  • TerraGirl17
    TerraGirl17 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Hi!! I just had a meeting with my personal trainer the other day and I asked him this same question!! He told me to set my settings on her manually and to set them at 40% protein, 30% fat and 30% carbs
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    I didn't like the base calorie ratio that MFP set for me so I customized it to 40% carb 40% protein and 20% fat. I life weights at work 5 days a week so I wanted the extra protein.

good ratios!
  • brndabrnda
    brndabrnda Posts: 3
    Options
    As long as that protein does not contain too much trans or saturated fat, it may be advantageous to keep you from being hungry. The carbs that you do choose need to be healthy, such as whole grains, vegetables and fruits. It's really about eating the best food for your body, and a variety of choices will ensure that you get not only enough protein, but also vitamins, minerals and fibre.