Runners - a shoe question :)

Charrisse
Charrisse Posts: 163
edited September 27 in Fitness and Exercise
I'm new to the world of running. Always having huge boobs had made it uncomfortable, and well, a hazzard. LOL Back down at a weight where I should be, and feeling froggy, I decided to run last month. Im not to the point where I "love" it yet - but I do enjoy the burn, and the results I THINK Im seeing in my legs. I don't love the pain in my ankles and knees. I know my tennies shoes are crap - think Target 25 bucks... help me figure out a good pair of running shoes for support, stability and cushion on my joints.. does that even exist? :)

And while your at it, motivate me please, with your running success stories on how super model-ish it made you look! (and how quickly!)

Replies

• kghamilton
    kghamilton Posts: 19
    Hi Charisse,
    Congratulations on taking up running again. I've been able to keep off weight by running and getting involved in the local running clubs. I've now run over 20 marathons.

I strongly recommend going to a reputable running shop in your area and have them advise you on shoes ( not a sports store). Local running clubs can advise you of good ones in the area and even get you some discounts. The right shoes are worth their weight in gold and you can generally get a good pair for under about $80.
  • laurasimmons
    laurasimmons Posts: 575 Member
    Yes, go to a running store and get fitted for shoes that will be perfect for you! Also get some running socks!
  • katbass
    katbass Posts: 351 Member
    Hi Charisse,
    Congratulations on taking up running again. I've been able to keep off weight by running and getting involved in the local running clubs. I've now run over 20 marathons.

I strongly recommend going to a reputable running shop in your area and have them advise you on shoes ( not a sports store). Local running clubs can advise you of good ones in the area and even get you some discounts. The right shoes are worth their weight in gold and you can generally get a good pair for under about $80.

This!

And while Im not to my goal weight yet, I can tell you that the theory of a "runner's high" is accurate, and that you arent imagining the changes in your shape. Running is an AWESOME workout! I was an award winning athlete in high school, but couldnt run a mile. Star of the tennis team, great basketball player, decent soccer player....couldnt run one lousy mile. Years later, I found a "Learn to Run" program and started it. (Not Couch to 5K...that was too difficult even). In NO TIME, I was running for 30 minutes without stopping....then 60 minutes without stopping.....it didnt happen SUPER fast (a matter of a few months maybe), but once I could really run, I could RUN for a LONG time. And it feels great!!
    Also, look up "KatApple"'s success story on here. She's a big inspiration for me (and a friend) :)
    Good luck and keep it up!
This discussion has been closed.