MFP Runner's Club - 8/24

Options
kechiemc
kechiemc Posts: 1,355 Member
Good morning:flowerforyou:

I ran 5 miles at an easy pace this morning.

Can't wait to hear from you
-Kechie.

Replies

• kechiemc
    Options
    Good morning:flowerforyou:

I ran 5 miles at an easy pace this morning.

Can't wait to hear from you
    -Kechie.
  • lisabeavers
    Options
    Hi guys. I am not a runner. How do you get started running? I mean, without somebody with a shotgun and a bad disposition being directly behind you? I have a knee that i messed up years ago, and it can be problematic. I normally walk at the gym on the treadmill or tread climber. I generally push the incline and the speed up as far as i can handle them (i got up to 7.5% incline and 3.7mph at the same time the other day, i was terified to let go becuase i was sure i would be flung off the machine through the wall and into the mens dressing room, lol) BUT i am being told that running and walking, even on an incline, use different muscle groups. I want to use all my muscle groups. Any advice or knowledge on the differences?
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    Morning!

Gonna go swimming later today. Maybe this is my op to train for a triathalon. :smokin:

Nice run Kechie - I'm jealous!

Lisa - the first thing we'll gripe on you about is to make sure you get a pair of good running shoes. Go to a store that specializes in running & have them fit you for a good pair. (Don't get Nikes though, they stink!) Look into the couch to 5k program to start. I hope you'll join our group. :flowerforyou:
  • PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    Options
    Hey there!!! I became so stir crazy waiting for the storm that never happened (which is a good thing!) So hubby and I went for just over three miles yesterday. YEY! How is everyone else lately?

Yey Shannon! That would be so much fun girlie!!! Are you becoming a different type of motivated by watching the Olympics? I know I am! I love it!

Great run Kechie! You are so good at staying motivated! YEY YOU!

Hey Lisa! Take it one step at a time...I started with running during commercials late at night while my husband did his work and I was watching my favorite shows. I then switched to running down the street as far as I can, and then walking, then running until I can't anymore and then walking. I now can keep a great pace with my husband and my kids can run pretty well too! I also keep myself interested and motivated by doing a variety of things to work different muscles...swimming laps, water aerobics, biking, walking, and jump roping are a few to try. Good luck girlie!
  • TNTPete
    TNTPete Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    alrighty!! Ran the 5.5 and it was good!! It felt good - except the blister on the left side of my foot now :grumble: . OH well...

Happy trails!

Lisa - agree with Princess -- one foot in front of the other and the drive to not be deterred. Good Luck !
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options

Gonna go swimming later today. Maybe this is my op to train for a triathalon. :smokin:

There is a bright side to a bad foot! :laugh:

Lisa I have to agree, NIKES are horrible for running, I love them for hiking but not for running.

As for me, going to take an easy paced interval session today for 45 minutes. Feeling better and ready to go!
  • bunnyr
    bunnyr Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!
    I have been rehabing my knee and have not been running. I haven't been posting because I felt like a loser and was like maybe I should join the walking club instead. :sad: But you all are so inspirational and encouraging so is it ok if I keep posting my progress as I am recovering? :flowerforyou:
    I am able to walk and have kept up with my training group walking the distance. Yesterday I did four miles. I was going to run my first 5K on Labor day but can't run yet. A friend and I are going to walk it instead! It is still accomplishing a goal and I am excited! :happy:

Take care
    Bunny
  • jdtrainer
    jdtrainer Posts: 160
    Options
    We stayed at our new house last night. I went out for a short run this morning ( I still have moving to do). I have new places to run!!! There are small hills and big giant hills and flat areas all with in running distance. I can hit the hills if I want, or avoid them if I choose.

I did get just a little lost this morning. I was within a block from home and decided to add a few minutes to my run. I went down a street that turned and meandered and I got all turned around. It only added 10 minutes to my run, but I was laughing at myself for getting lost so close to home.

WTG everyone. Keep up the great running! (and cross training - Shannon)

JD
  • kechiemc
    Options
    Hi guys. I am not a runner. How do you get started running? I mean, without somebody with a shotgun and a bad disposition being directly behind you? I have a knee that i messed up years ago, and it can be problematic. I normally walk at the gym on the treadmill or tread climber. I generally push the incline and the speed up as far as i can handle them (i got up to 7.5% incline and 3.7mph at the same time the other day, i was terified to let go becuase i was sure i would be flung off the machine through the wall and into the mens dressing room, lol) BUT i am being told that running and walking, even on an incline, use different muscle groups. I want to use all my muscle groups. Any advice or knowledge on the differences?

Welcome Lisa! I started running last year using the Couch to 5K program. I LOVED it. It was easy to follow and I was successful (did not get injured). When I was tired, I repeated that week's workouts the following week. I look forward to hearing from you again soon.

-Kechie.
  • kechiemc
    Options
    Hi everyone!
    I have been rehabing my knee and have not been running. I haven't been posting because I felt like a loser and was like maybe I should join the walking club instead. :sad: But you all are so inspirational and encouraging so is it ok if I keep posting my progress as I am recovering? :flowerforyou:
    I am able to walk and have kept up with my training group walking the distance. Yesterday I did four miles. I was going to run my first 5K on Labor day but can't run yet. A friend and I are going to walk it instead! It is still accomplishing a goal and I am excited! :happy:

Take care
    Bunny

Hi Bunny! It is great to hear from you. Absolutely, post here daily to let us know how you're doing.:flowerforyou: Good for you! I am proud of you for deciding to walk that 5K instead.
    Chat soon -Kechie.
  • hessied
    hessied Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. Ran with a "runners' group" for the first time. The group consisted of 3 men that are the crazy ultra marathon runner-types that run at a 5-6 minute mile pace, an older man, and me! LOL:laugh: Needless to say, I was paired with the older guy , which turned out to be a good match. We ran 12 miles, which is two laps around a local lake. Our first 6-mile loop we ran in 52 minutes and the second we ran in 55. This was my first time running with somebody. It definitely has its pluses and minuses. It was good, because you definitely push yourself a little harder. It was bad because you are pushing yourself a little harder AND almost feel obligated to chat with your partner when all I really wanted to do was concentrate on breathing and basically not dying. :tongue:

Lisa-Welcome to the group! Alternating between walking and running to the treadmill is a great way to start. Set a goal to run for a certain amount of time, then walk for a bit, then alternate between running and walking.

Have a great Sunday everyone!
  • lisabeavers
    Options
    Lots of great advice, thanks!! I have a pair of new balance that i love, and they are GREAT for my walking. are they okay for running? I think they are 607s
  • carvan
    carvan Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon runners:

Got in 5 K this morning, boy was it hot and humid. Glad my hubby was nearby to pick me up in the car!
    Foot is still hurting, but more after than during, so that is some improvment.

Have a great rest of the day

Carol
  • bunnyr
    bunnyr Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Thanks Kechie,
    I just heard that my club may be opening up a new 10K training group that I could walk until I can run again! I guess as long as I am still on my feet and making improvement I will be thankful! I would love to hear your story some day. Have you really only been running a year?
    Bunny
  • kechiemc
    Options
    Thanks Kechie,
    I just heard that my club may be opening up a new 10K training group that I could walk until I can run again! I guess as long as I am still on my feet and making improvement I will be thankful! I would love to hear your story some day. Have you really only been running a year?
    Bunny

I started running in April of 2007. I used a 10 week 5K program. I 'ran' 3 times a week. It took me 4 months to get to week 10 which was 20 minutes of non-stop running.:laugh: This month, I ran 10.5 miles for the first time.

If I can do it, anyone can do it!
    :heart: -Kechie.
  • Slender1
    Slender1 Posts: 185
    Options
    hey everyone! no run for me today. :)
  • alimassa
    alimassa Posts: 275
    Options
    Geesh.....whats with all the Nike bashing?? I love my Nike's! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Rest day for me....circut group in the morning tomorrow and short run on Tuesday...yikes! tired just thinking about it all!!

Happy Running!!

Ali

PS......Lisa, just start slow to avoid injury, get a great playlist of music, find a running buddy, and head for the horizon! Once you break through...you will never go back!
  • PrincessLaundry
    Options
    Geesh.....whats with all the Nike bashing?? I love my Nike's! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Me too!!! I love my Nike's!!! They fit my tubby feet! :tongue:

BikeBeachFeet-1.jpg
  • PrincessLaundry
    Options

I started running in April of 2007. I used a 10 week 5K program. I 'ran' 3 times a week. It took me 4 months to get to week 10 which was 20 minutes of non-stop running.:laugh: This month, I ran 10.5 miles for the first time.

If I can do it, anyone can do it!
    :heart: -Kechie.

FANTABULOUS job Kechie!!! And great advice too! :wink:
  • TNTPete
    TNTPete Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Lots of great advice, thanks!! I have a pair of new balance that i love, and they are GREAT for my walking. are they okay for running? I think they are 607s

You should get shoes just for running, I think the typical answer is one size larger than your walking shoe (for me also wider) and it is not about the brand but what works for your feet - if you can go to a shoe store that does running shoe fitting (REI - is an example) and see what they suggest!!
    (I do have to throw out there that NIKES do not work for me either!!- I love my NB!!)