Decided to Stop Lurking :-)

Options
NurdCore
NurdCore Posts: 8 Member
Hi Everyone,

I've been using MFP on my android phone and website for a little over a month now. I visit the forums from time to time just looking around and decided to actually stop lurking and get involved a bit.

I started to get more excercise about two months ago because I noticed I was starting to get way too big after a career change that had me working out my home. I have always been a big guy (300lbs+) but I was always able to pack my weight around on do day to day activities with no issues. That's been fine up until recently. My legs started to hurt and the dr. informed me that my blood pressure was starting to get out of hand.

I decided to do something about it and started walking in the park for a few weeks and then I decided to up the intensity and join the local gym and weight train and cardio. Now I'm at the point it's becoming part of my lifestyle and I feel great about it. I'm going to try my best to get down to at least 200lbs maybe try to even get to 175lbs. That would be pretty awesome since I've never been under 200lbs before.

Replies

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Welcome, congrats on the lifestyle change, and good luck! By the way, if you haven't tried Cardio Trainer for your walks, give it a try. It's an Android app that uses GPS to track your walks or runs and gives you a calorie burn estimate based on your weight and stride length.
  • jdg1mfp
    jdg1mfp Posts: 103
    Options
    Good luck and I know you will get there.
  • Aeliyah
    Aeliyah Posts: 247
    Options
    Glad to see you make a post and getting involved! It's always best to start as soon as possible when the health issues start arising... I didn't take the warnings seriously, and now I'm working twice as hard to get where I should have been 5 years ago. Best of luck on your journey, and feel free to add me as a friend if you'd like!
  • nikkinikki113
    nikkinikki113 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Welcome!!

Glad you're joining us!! I wish you much success in your journey!!

Feel free to add me!
  • wvmark41
    wvmark41 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Hang in there. You did not get big over night and it will take some time to get the weight off, but you can do it if you stick with it.

I had my doubts, but I've lost 42 pounds and wear clothes that I haven't been able to wear in years. IT FEELS SO GOOD and I intend to lose about another 50 pounds. 175 is my goal too. I felt my best at that weight and I want to get back to it and feel that good again.

See you below 180 by the end of the year!
  • Jessadoo
    Jessadoo Posts: 7
    Options
    Nice to "meet" ya! One of the biggest benefits of this website is the community of people on it. My MFP family keep me motivated when I'm feeling discouraged, proud when I have a success, and accountable when I slip up. Hope you find the same thing! Feel free to add me so we can venture on this journey together :)
  • MsCracker
    MsCracker Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you decided to come out of hiding! I've been here a couple of weeks and so far the only thing that's really keeping me motivated is the support of the people around me.

You'll enjoy yourself more now that you're out and about. Add me!
    It's wonderful to meet you.

C
  • NurdCore
    Options
    Welcome, congrats on the lifestyle change, and good luck! By the way, if you haven't tried Cardio Trainer for your walks, give it a try. It's an Android app that uses GPS to track your walks or runs and gives you a calorie burn estimate based on your weight and stride length.

I've used cardio trainer and it's pretty awesome for what it does, but it does still need a lot of work. I noticed that it's not very accurate and I purchased the heart rate monitor and I have yet to get that thing to work properly. But I still give it a shot after each update.
  • NurdCore
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your support. I'm sitting here now with a big smile on my face; even though I picked up a pound or two by this morning weight in, at least I know that weight was muscle because I can actually see some muscles when I flex the arms and legs. I was feeling them under the skin a few weeks ago but just wasn't seeing the things until this morning, lol.
  • KDemon
    KDemon Posts: 18
    Options
    I lurked for a while too. Getting more bold the longer I am on here. Good luck with your journey.