Can someone explain the science to me?????

Options
2»

Replies

• snowflakelaia
    snowflakelaia Posts: 214
    Options
    I see that you eat quite a lot of processed carbs: sugars and foods. Sugars do not fill you up for very long. That´s why if you took more protein and fiber rich (good and slowly digested carbs) foods: such as oatmeal, veggies, and fruit would keep you full much longer.

Remember that the body gets used to sugar and processed foods, you will crave those all the time unless you stop yourself from eating them. I am talking from experience here. ^_^ However, what it works for me, may not work for you.
  • Sumo813
    Sumo813 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I looked at your diary, and one thing jumps out at me. You aren't eating much for breakfast. Breakfast means to "break" the "fast" from not eating while you were sleeping. You need to jump start your metabolism for the whole day. A yogurt & a piece of toast may not cut it anymore. I usually consume 350-550 calories for my breakfast, about the same for lunch, and then my dinner is the smallest meal. Try eating something more filling in the AM, and that might help. Especially if you're exercising in the AM, you need the fuel!

Men's Health recommends at least 250 calories and no more than 500 calories for breakfast, with the majority coming from either protein or fiber. I'm sure it's similar for women. :)
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options
    I guess I have to work on my breakfasts huh! I just never was much of a breakfast eater. My mornings are just too rushed (husband, 2 kids, and have to be at work at 8:00). That's why I eat a yogurt and drink a cup of coffee at my desk. Maybe I'll try adding some peanut butter toast (whole wheat bread) with it.
    Thanks everyone for the help!

Hard boiled eggs are great for breakfast. Make a dozen on Sunday and you can grab them and eat them quickly throughout the week.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I guess I have to work on my breakfasts huh! I just never was much of a breakfast eater. My mornings are just too rushed (husband, 2 kids, and have to be at work at 8:00). That's why I eat a yogurt and drink a cup of coffee at my desk. Maybe I'll try adding some peanut butter toast (whole wheat bread) with it.
    Thanks everyone for the help!

My partner loves breakfast, so I get up earlier now to get it (well not always, I can sleep in and get out of the house at the same time as him if I have a grab and go breakfast). However, in the past when I wanted to force myself to eat breakfast I had a couple of tricks:

-egg and cheese on a sandwich thin
    -protein shake - make sure it is one that has some fiber and low sugar. I have recently found Full Bar Fit Shakes
    -milk with instant coffee at home and then something I pick up on my way to work (VERY DANGEROUS)
  • Woodman725
    Woodman725 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I looked at your diary, and one thing jumps out at me. You aren't eating much for breakfast. Breakfast means to "break" the "fast" from not eating while you were sleeping. You need to jump start your metabolism for the whole day. A yogurt & a piece of toast may not cut it anymore. I usually consume 350-550 calories for my breakfast, about the same for lunch, and then my dinner is the smallest meal. Try eating something more filling in the AM, and that might help. Especially if you're exercising in the AM, you need the fuel!

100% agree. I was reading others, so I didn't say the same thing. I know it's tough sometimes, but try not to eat as much for dinner. I have been eating about a third(maybe less) of my daily calories for breakfast. I also have a small mid morning snack and an afternoon snack and try to eat the same or less for dinner than lunch. I usually try to save 100 or so cals for desert. You may notice also that when you eat a bigger breakfast, you will be more hungry still because starting the day with a good breakfast will help your metabolism too which will make you feel more hungry. I would also suggest trying to eat as close to your allotted calories as you can +/- 100. If you have exercise calories in there and aren't comfortable that the number is very accurate, then at least eat most of them back. You shouldn't have more than 300 calories left over for the day unless of course you had a crazy big workout or were sick or something. One day way under isn't gonna destroy you or anything. I doubt you have gained enough muscle in 3 weeks to really cause what you are seeing, unless you are doing a lot of weights or heavy cardio, which I may have missed.

2 pounds a week is right on track, I wouldn't be upset with that. Great job staying the course and Good luck!
  • mielikkibz
    mielikkibz Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    i have a container of oatmeal in my desk for those mornings that I don't get up to eat my egg & toast & bacon. . .I didn't dig too far into your dairy(at work LOL), but the breakfast was a biggie, along with the huge dinner you had yesterday. ..spread the food you ate yesterday to all your meals.

and take more veggies. . munch on them :)
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options

100% agree. I was reading others, so I didn't say the same thing. I know it's tough sometimes, but try not to eat as much for dinner. I have been eating about a third(maybe less) of my daily calories for breakfast. I also have a small mid morning snack and an afternoon snack and try to eat the same or less for dinner than lunch. I usually try to save 100 or so cals for desert. You may notice also that when you eat a bigger breakfast, you will be more hungry still because starting the day with a good breakfast will help your metabolism too which will make you feel more hungry. I would also suggest trying to eat as close to your allotted calories as you can +/- 100. If you have exercise calories in there and aren't comfortable that the number is very accurate, then at least eat most of them back. You shouldn't have more than 300 calories left over for the day unless of course you had a crazy big workout or were sick or something. One day way under isn't gonna destroy you or anything. I doubt you have gained enough muscle in 3 weeks to really cause what you are seeing, unless you are doing a lot of weights or heavy cardio, which I may have missed.

2 pounds a week is right on track, I wouldn't be upset with that. Great job staying the course and Good luck!

She did not gain muscle. You will not gain muscle by accident, you have to try to and it is not as easy as everyone seems to think it is by these statements. Especially in three weeks; it takes time and work.
  • jessicaj_824
    jessicaj_824 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I used to always get like this. I've been working with a trainer and she has had me change the type of food I ate and said I was having too much sugar. She set my sugar max at 25 grams for the day and have been keeping that for a few weeks now. I have noticed since that my appetite has been regulated and I don't get shakes anymore - even during TOM. In looking at your diary I see you already have 88 grams today and have not logged what you plan to have for dinner. Watch the yogurts, fruit and salad dressings as well as any processed food you eat for the sugar contents. It's hard at first but it's doable.