Any suggestions for things to do in NYC when your broke?

Options
2»

Replies

• LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    panhandle?
    lol
  • anna_b1
    anna_b1 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Walk the Brooklyn Bridge. Seriously. You must. Don't buy anything from the vendors along the way. Once you get to Brooklyn, go for pizza.

Brooklyn is awesome.
  • oxyjenic
    oxyjenic Posts: 18
    Options
    Two things I would definitely do are take the Staten Island Ferry (which is free) and take the Roosevelt Tram to Roosevelt Island (2.25 each way or use your subway pass). The Staten Island Ferry is a great way to see the Statue of Liberty without paying to go to Liberty Island. The Roosevelt Tram is the cheapest and best way to see the city skyline. (http://www.yelp.com/biz/roosevelt-island-tramway-new-york)

Also, if you go to Grand Central Station, make sure to go to the Whispering Corners. It's right next to the Oyster Bar Restaurant. Here's a picture.. http://gonyc.about.com/od/photogalleries/ss/grand_central_7.htm. You'll probably notice people doing it. It's REALLY COOL. Doesn't sound cool, but it is! It can be very noisy in there, but if you're in one corner and whisper, someone clear across the room in the other corner can hear it like you're right next to them.

Pizza is the best thing to eat in NY and it's very cheap. You'll never have pizza like NY pizza anytime else in your life. Also, it's a good time to sit and people watch. When my son and I were there, we saw Anthony Bourdain crossing the street and he was nice enough to take a pic with us. I also saw Mr. Big from Sex in the City, but can't think of what his name is.

Oh, I would also go see Yankee Stadium. You don't have to get tickets to enjoy it if they're playing at home. There are restaurants and bars that play the games there, and you get a real thrill being around hard core Yankee fans. They're the best fans in the world! Also lots of souvenir shops there.

I would also go to Canal St for souvenir shopping.

Hitting the free things in NYC will totally take up all the time you have!
  • cobarlo14
    cobarlo14 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Do you want to go to the beach and ride the subway?

http://www.mta.info/nyct/maps/submap.htm

Depending on where you are staying if you can catch the A train to ROCKAWAY PARK (Not Lefferts Blvd - no beach there)
    take it to the end when you get out of the station make a left and walk 1 1/2 blocks to the beach. The direct Rockaway Park train runs Rush Hour times so I would get a time table ( call to confirm it - if you can)

If you catch a Far Rockaway train then you have to get off at Broad channel and wait for the shuttle train to take you there..extra few minutes (if you see the map it might make it easier to understand)

email me if you have any questions - I grew up there :flowerforyou:
  • oxyjenic
    oxyjenic Posts: 18
    Options
    Oh yeah, the last post reminded me.. you can go to Coney Island! I went there last May. Was kind of worried about security, but there's policemen all over! I would still go in the daytime, though. It's free to walk around there and there's a lot to see. You can lookout at the beach/boats and there's usually music and dancing going on. If you have kids you might not want to go because they would want to ride the rides, which are expensive.

Also forgot to mention... if you need a bathroom, go to a Starbucks. They're about the only place that lets you use one even if you're not buying anything.
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    YAY! I could totally hug you all! Thank you for all the tips, I feel much more confident now that I won't just walk out of the hotel and feel confused. :)
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    311 Dial 311 for information about anything you need in NYC... Also if you need to know how to take the subway to a certain place go to http://tripplanner.mta.info/_start.aspx Just make sure you know what borough you are in/going to since the same address can exist in different boroughs.

Go with the one week unlimited pass.

Contrary to popular belief, New Yorkers are friendly, they are just always in a hurry, but they're usually happy to help with directions so don't be afraid to ask.

I second the suggestion on Staten Island Ferry, It's free and you get a good view of the Statue of Liberty/ Ellis Island. If you want to go to the Statue of Liberty, get tickets well in advance if you want to go inside.

The Bronx Zoo is free on Wednesdays. You can get there by subway.

Come to Queens and go to Flushing Meadows/Corona Park. You can see the Unisphere and observation towers and it's free. There's also a zoo and museum at the park. While you're in my neighborhood, you can head to the Louis Armstrong House.

You can rent bicycles to ride around central park, but they charge a lot so do some searching online to get the best deal.

Times Square is fun for people watching and for window shopping.

Chinatown is great for shopping, you can get great deals on "brand name" purses ;-)
  • live2smyle
    live2smyle Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Chinatown is great for shopping, you can get great deals on "brand name" purses ;-)
    Hahahaha....I think most have covered alot of good stuff. I would just like to mention that it is going to be hot as hot can get in NYC in July...So make sure you stay hydrated with all that walking! Have a great trip! :flowerforyou:
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    Thank you all again! for the great suggestions!
  • osmoticferocity
    Options
    I actually just recently spent a week broke in NYC! The American Indian Museum is free (it's a Smithsonian institute), there is a hipster flea market in Brooklyn (in case you need to buy a beard or fixed gear bicycle), and the street food is decently priced and convenient as can be. Also, drinks can be had on the cheap in Manhattan if you look. $2 Rolling Rocks, PBRs, and Yeunglings were not uncommon.