Workout program for a woman in her early 60s

Options
My mother has been losing weight and has 10 lbs to go to her goal. She has plateaued and needs an exercise program to get her going again. She does walk some but she would like to do something in the home. Wondering if anybody could recommend a program that's low impact that would jump start her weight lose again?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Replies

• blondie_0514
    Options
    Tell her to try Zumba. or simply light hand weights or resistance bands. My mother -in-law is in her mid 50’s and does Zumba.
  • nextrightthing
    nextrightthing Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried this yet but, another member suggested it and I thought it sounded very interesting......T-Tapp. There are videos, books and apparently even classes. I am going to look into it.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    My Mom is in her early 60s and LOVES taking belly dancing. It's the first exercise class she's enjoyed. I also suggest tai chi for someone in their 60s because it really helps you tone overall. Oh, and yoga seems to be great for all ages. It's all about the teacher though!
  • pixietoes
    pixietoes Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    It's very much going to depend on what appeals to her. Any kind of dance video would give her a decent chance at a cardio workout and if she's willing to do it regularly she'll see results.

One thing I would like to recommend in addition to any other exercise she does is tai chi. The benefits are available for anyone, but I've seen post-menopausal women benefit in ways you wouldn't suspect exercise like tai chi could produce. It won't take the place of cardio work, but it will improve strength, balance and give an energy bounce. And she can do it anywhere once she learns the form. Shoot me a message if you want more info.