Mexican Restaurant

Options
SeasideOasis
SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
I was just invited out to Mexican tonight. I dont usually eat at Mexican restaurants, so Im not familiar with their menus, but this place seems to have a little bit of everything. What should I get? Forewarning, I do not like beans. I also heard that veggies at Mexican restaurants are usually so coated with butter, its almost not even worth it.

Any ideas on what I should eat?

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,041 Member
    Options
    Chicken taco salad, no beans, dressing side. Large 1800 rocks with a lime.
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    Stay away from fried, anything with cheese, sour cream or guac. Today, I ate a chicken soft taco with salsa. It was SO good. My DH always gets to taco salad with no cheese, sour cream or guac and puts salsa on it. It looks really good. Oh and he does not eat the shell.
  • ltlemermaid
    ltlemermaid Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    Fajitas just the meat onions and peppers with salsa. if you have extra calories or it fits you can add sour cream, guacamole, rice with it. I usually stay away from the tortillas it comes with.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    The American version of Mexican food is usually pretty hopeless. Mexicans hardly ever cook with butter, and I can't imagine a US restaurant spending the money - it may have fat, but I doubt it would be butter.

If available, steak or chicken fajita with one corn tortilla would probably be a good option. Other than that, it all depends on the restaurant. Do they have a menu online?
  • SeasideOasis
    Options
    Chicken taco salad, no beans, dressing side. Large 1800 rocks with a lime.

Large 1800 rocks with a lime...I LOVE your style...haha
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,041 Member
    Options
    Fajita veggies are cooked in butter ....just so you know...and that suggestion of salsa on the salad is great. You do want some fat in the meal so don't eliminate all the cheese, sour cream and dressing.

Strive for Protein, Carbs and Fat in every meal and snack. The more fiber the better. (so whole grains, whole fruits and veggies and beans...I know...but beans are an almost perfect food. Try 'em.)
  • TonyaJ83
    TonyaJ83 Posts: 155
    Options
    The place we go has fresh cut veggies. Nothing added to them. And there's another place I have to tell them not to add anything before cooking.

I usually get a veggie burrito. No cheese, no meat, no sour cream. I get rice, beans, veggies, salsa and guac. Delicious.
  • SeasideOasis
    Options
    Fajita veggies are cooked in butter ....just so you know...and that suggestion of salsa on the salad is great. You do want some fat in the meal so don't eliminate all the cheese, sour cream and dressing.

Strive for Protein, Carbs and Fat in every meal and snack. The more fiber the better. (so whole grains, whole fruits and veggies and beans...I know...but beans are an almost perfect food. Try 'em.)

Im just starting on Lentils...Ill have to work my way up to beans. However, we did a biology experiment on refried beans this semester, can I cant promise I'll ever eat those kind after the experiment. Also, we found out, you refried beans usually lose all their protein by the end of the cooking process. Just thought Id share since the topic came up.

Im working with nearly 1000 calories (busy day, not a lot of time to eat much of a lunch), so some cheese and sour cream could probably be doctored in somehow.

Everyone suggestions sound really good :)
  • Cbandelier
    Cbandelier Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Last time I went I had grilled skirt steak with salad, plus some of my rice, and a few chips/salsa. I can't remember the exact calories but it was reasonable. And delicious :)