drinking water

ktblueyz
ktblueyz Posts: 72
edited 12:22AM in Health and Weight Loss
can not drinking the right amount of water hinder my weight loss efforts?

I was told to drink half my body weight in ounces a day.. which for me would be 65 oz a day.

Replies

• cjjones007
    cjjones007 Posts: 602
    Haven't heard the half the body weight thing yet, I'll have to look into that, but yes not drinking enough water can indeed hinder weight loss.
    I broke through one of my plateaus by increasing my water intake (literally the only thing I did)...

I now get between 12 and 16 glasses (8oz) a day...
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Yes, you need to drink the water. Water can be anything that is non-carbonated, no sugar and no cafeine (according to my nutritionist). So that can be decaf coffee/tea, crystal light, mio, vitaminwater zero, lifewater zero and powerade zero.

Good luck and stay hydrated!
  • ktblueyz
    Haven't heard the half the body weight thing yet, I'll have to look into that, but yes not drinking enough water can indeed hinder weight loss.
    I broke through one of my plateaus by increasing my water intake (literally the only thing I did)...

I now get between 12 and 16 glasses (8oz) a day...

wow crazy! ok thanks for the feedback. ill try to force it down lol. water makes me gag.
  • MayhemModels
    MayhemModels Posts: 367 Member
    Rule of thumb, drink 64oz of water a day and 2 cups for every cup of coffee you drink as coffee is a natural dierutic
  • keinmehr
    keinmehr Posts: 14 Member
    Me too! Water is the worst.
  • Sarahr73
    Sarahr73 Posts: 454 Member
    Yes it can hinder your weight loss. 65oz is just above the minimum recommended amount. So, if it seems like it's hard to lose weight try adding more water. I lost the most on the weeks where I was drinking 9-11 8oz cups a day. Everyone is different so just experiment. And here is a good water calculator that you could try out to determine an amount to drink. http://nutrition.about.com/library/blwatercalculator.htm
    That's where I got the 9-11 cups from and it worked so I trust it.
  • yumster70
    yumster70 Posts: 23 Member
    www.inch-aweigh.com

"Eight glasses a day? Are you kidding?!" It's really not that much. Eight 8-ounce glasses amount to about two quarts of water. This is okay for the average person, but if you're overweight, you should drink another eight ounces for every 25 pounds of excess weight you carry. You should also up this if you live in a hot climate or exercise very intensely.
  • ktblueyz
    Rule of thumb, drink 64oz of water a day and 2 cups for every cup of coffee you drink as coffee is a natural dierutic

yay good thing I dont drink coffee or coffee products! I dont think I could handle any more water t han that.

also, for soome reason drinking water on an empty stomach make me feel nautious
  • yumster70
    yumster70 Posts: 23 Member
    Drinking Water Tips
    The following article will explain you on how does drinking water help you lose weight.

•Drinking water helps you lose weight easily by preventing you from overeating and it also helps in flushing out the excess toxins from the body.
    •It also helps in flushing out the old water that is stored by the body in fear of dehydration eventually leading to edema and bloating.
    •Bloating and edema is medically termed as water retention and this makes you look fat as the water gets stored between the cells and tissues of the body. This can result in swollen belly and ankles.
    •When a person does not drink sufficient quantity of water required for the body then his/her kidneys may not function properly and may not excrete urine as well.
    •Liver plays an important role in hydrolysis of fats. Scarcity of water may tend to force the liver to help kidneys instead of burning fat and this can eventually result in storage of fat in the body. Drinking plenty of water may help the liver in weight loss and burning fat easily.
    •Water will also help in improving the muscle tone as well.
  • BeckyKSmith
    BeckyKSmith Posts: 212 Member
    Put lots of ice in it and drink it out of a straw. Don't think of it as gross, think of it as, "this stuff will make me skinny". Helps your skin too.
  • mjp202
    mjp202 Posts: 50 Member
    Can someone explain the science of this?
  • MayhemModels
    yeah coffee is my weakness so im up 3 times a night from the extra water i drink lol
  • ktblueyz
    Drinking Water Tips
    The following article will explain you on how does drinking water help you lose weight.

•Drinking water helps you lose weight easily by preventing you from overeating and it also helps in flushing out the excess toxins from the body.
    •It also helps in flushing out the old water that is stored by the body in fear of dehydration eventually leading to edema and bloating.
    •Bloating and edema is medically termed as water retention and this makes you look fat as the water gets stored between the cells and tissues of the body. This can result in swollen belly and ankles.
    •When a person does not drink sufficient quantity of water required for the body then his/her kidneys may not function properly and may not excrete urine as well.
    •Liver plays an important role in hydrolysis of fats. Scarcity of water may tend to force the liver to help kidneys instead of burning fat and this can eventually result in storage of fat in the body. Drinking plenty of water may help the liver in weight loss and burning fat easily.
    •Water will also help in improving the muscle tone as well.

wow thanks! that does explain a lot...
  • ladybug1620
    ladybug1620 Posts: 1,136 Member
    Drink up! You'll eventually start to crave it. I used to absolutely hate it, but now if I haven't had any in a while I feel so thirsty for it!
  • MayhemModels
    I love ice water now, I used to drink 4 or 5 sodas a day, but I havent had a sods in over a year
  • DKBelle
    DKBelle Posts: 585
    If you can't drink water make a lemon juice :P I usually blend 4-5 lemon and mix it with 64 oz water without sugar or with a bit of honey if you can't take the lemon taste :) I also make green tea cold with non sugar. I don't really like water neither :P
  • Jillatha
    Jillatha Posts: 85 Member
    I lost all my weight without EVER having water I HATE it I only started drinking it today. I just drank tea and pepsi max I felt aslong as my system was flushed it was the same and I lost 105lbs to date :)
  • ktblueyz
    yeah im the type of person who misinterprets thirst for hunger. i just reach for food all day. ive gone 2 or 3 days before with NOTHING to drink cuz it just doesnt occure to me lol
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,307 Member
    If you don't like the taste of water it's probably the water source. Do you like bottled water? I would not ever buy water, but if you like the taste of water from a bottle, it is nothing more than filtered tap water. Buy a Brita (or other) filter system. Worth its weight in gold.

I drink 1/2 my body weight in ounces daily. Makes a huge difference in how I feel and my energy level. It's nearly 80 oz daily, and I often go over that due to exercise. You need more water when exercising.
  • MayhemModels
    I lost all my weight without EVER having water I HATE it I only started drinking it today. I just drank tea and pepsi max I felt aslong as my system was flushed it was the same and I lost 105lbs to date :)

You have lost 105lbs since March????
This discussion has been closed.