is alcohol really that bad?!!

Options
I went out with friends and had a few drinks (maybe 4 or 5 vodka cruisers). Logging it on MFP the next day was very painful...

My question is, does anyone know if the calorie content really is that high? 176 calories for one standard drink. Surely it would be easier to burn liquid-alcohol calories than if you had eaten the equivalent in food. Or is drinking out of the question, if you are trying to lose weight!

Replies

• CallMeMamaBoo
    CallMeMamaBoo Posts: 295
    Options
    I watched all my gf's gain large amounts of weight by having girls night out every weekend...

I personally do not drink. But I've seen it destroy enough bodies to know that it isn't good for you. Even if you think you are drinking moderately, you probably aren't. JMO.
  • Vkoons3
    Vkoons3 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    One thing that may help is also order a water with your drink , this way you do not end up drinking as many of the alchoholic ones because you are sipping on both.
  • skinnyhappy
    skinnyhappy Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    It's bad if you drink all the time...you can overcome calories but it's much harder to overcome up to 73% decrease in metabolism due to alcohol consumption. Just remember...moderation is key!
  • Zelsawaf
    Zelsawaf Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    It's really all about amounts, just like anything else. The problem with alcohol isn't just the alcohol. Generally people are drinking several. If they're beers those are a ton of calories, so 4-5 beers on a Friday night is like an extra 2-3 meals. Same with mixed drinks once you account for mixers. My suggestion is when you know you're gonna go out drinking, just make sure you account for it throughout the day by both saving calories in other meals and making sure to get some extra workouts in. Also, aim to try and drink liquor and diet mixers. That's what I've done and so far have not had major problems.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Calorically it's not all that bad. What it does to your liver and metabolism may be. It's up to you however you wanna look at it. No one's gonna make you stop drinking, and there's nothing wrong with partying once in a while.
  • mlagena
    mlagena Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    What really gets you is the additives like the puckers, syrups and whatnot. I know a lot of people do diet soda with vodka or whatever you like. If you look up a shot of vodka, like Absolut, it only has 67 cals. Be very careful of binge drinking, too! It's a real problem with young women (myself included. was absolutely terrible in school) and can do real damage.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Not only is alcohol empty calories, it also dehydrates your body which can often does cause weight gain (usually in water retention).

I don't personally drink anymore and was never a drinker even before I started this journey. Too many alcoholics in my family.
  • sarahliftsUP
    sarahliftsUP Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I haven't had a night out in a really, really, long time. But when I know I'm going out, I make sure to get in a good calorie burn and eat sensibly throughout the day. But the worst thing about drinking, at least for me, is that I have no will power with food! Think about how many calories you eat when you are drunk. And then the next morning you crave greasy/junky food as well.
  • ilikeher
    ilikeher Posts: 78
    Options
    I had 8 coors lights last night over the period of a couple hours while out with my boyfriend. That's over eight hundred calories... I ended up being 450 calories over instead of under :( it could be a good thing because I won't drink more that two or three from now on because I know that now
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Yes, alcohol really is that bad.
  • JatieKo621
    JatieKo621 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I am struggling with this as well. I live in Vegas so its pretty damn hard not to go out a lot. When I do go out now- I do (as others said) drink a lot of water when I am drinking. Also, I choose better drinks. A good brand vodka is almost tasteless, so I drink Ketel 1 (around 67 cal) and soda water (which has zero calories) with a lime wedge. It tastes stronger than tonic because tonic has a lot of sugar in it, so I don't drink as quickly.

Beer can really get you-a bud light has OVER 100 cal, and that is a LIGHT beer. Drinking 4 of those is more than a meal!

And I agree with the other post-its the effects of drinking that make it so bad for me. When I do get drunk, I crave fast food/pizza and don't care about the calories because I am not thinking. Then the next day, if I am hungover I do not want to work out. All in all it usually = unhealthiness for me.

So now I just tone it down, only drink once a week or on special occasions. Wine is a good option too-red not white.

And like they said above-it isn't just the calories. Your body thinks you are giving it poison so it works extra hard to digest the alcohol and therefore turns everything else you've had into fat while it works on the alcohol. Plus-it turns into sugar. No bueno all around.

It IS tough though!