Green Giant Steamers

Options
A thread for those struggling to get in veggies, overwhelmed at cooking right now, or need something convenient due to busy lifestyle

So I'm usually not one of those people who would be pro random processed veggies such as the mentioned title. I've been in a binge cycle for 1.5 months and am struggling to regain control over my eating habits due to my ED.

For the past few days I've been more on track. I love love vegetables, but I am having difficulty managing to take time to prepare things like I did over the winter. The mental block is strong and everything is black and white. Right or wrong. Night and day. You get the picture. The idea of even taking some olive oil + seasonings+ veggies to saute or roast is overwhelming.

I was grocery shopping a few days ago and noticed the Green Giant Steamers. I bought a variety: the brussels sprouts with butter sauce, broccoli and cheese, and omega 3 veggies mix. There are plenty more. It was a bit of a impulse buy since I was trying to put together meal ideas with my list but feeling super defeated. It's not a lack of knowledge, but more of a want to make things even simpler until I can get myself together.

I have to say I'm impressed. Easily microwaved. Not a ****load of random ingredients listed. The brussels sprout is amazing and I had it tonight with some fish. Simple meal with satisfaction. No overwhelmed feelings. No frustration. No guilt for binging since I didn't. Very fast which is ideal for my night shifts as a nurse.

The reason I wanted to post about this is because life isn't always simple. And i know that while many clean eaters may roll their eyes at me knowing that roasting the same veggies is very easy as well, that's not what this is about. It's about feeling good about your choices. And I'm glad about my choice here because it's not black and white.

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,961 Member
    Options
    I agree. Simple is best when feeling overwhelmed. It takes disipline to get back on track - been there. I had to buy some of those veggies the other day (asparagus) because I had to have that prticular item and the store didn't have it fresh. I don't even have a microwave, so it irritated me to spend the extra $$$ but I digress.

The veggies were yummy! I could totally see using them especially if you are cooking for two, or one person. I think frozen veggies are probably more nutritious than veggies that sit in your refrigerator drawer for three or four days.

(BTW, use brackets [ ] for the bold lettering)

• hmschultz
    hmschultz Posts: 32
    Options
    I am all about quick!! I am not picky when it comes to veggies, I love them, but my family is. Often I make one meal for the 4 of them and one for myself. I live on the Birdseye Steam Fresh veggies! I buy the plain ones and they not only taste great, they make getting those servings in and meal prep quick and easy! Plus I portion them out so I get several meals out of each bag. I have also noticed less frequent trips to the store because produce spoils quickly so you can't buy as much at one time! This is a GREAT tip! :)
  • sanddollar
    sanddollar Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    They are great to take to work for lunch... easy and more healthy than frozen dinners. I like the Green giant steamers or the Birds eye steamers (my favorite is the Asian Medley). I'll eat the whole package and get filled up without tons of calories. I also take a tuna cup for protein.
  • healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    I agree...I bought some of these because they were on sale and I had a coupon..I am actually eating the "Healthy Hearts" pearled barley, sugar snap peas and julienne carrots as I type this. Its got EVOO and I think it's pretty great. Goes great with my chicken...

and good for you for getting back on track! HOORAY FOR VEGGIES!!!!!
  • farabovepearls
    farabovepearls Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Have you tried the Birds Eye Steamed Brown Rice? I love it. I pair it with some frozen veggies and call it a night! Sometimes for an some added flavor I add some Laughing Cow cheese. My husband and I have found that these frozen veggies and brown rice have been a savior to us as we try to eat better. Also, I will make a tray of chicken drumsticks for the week, using Hungry Girl's Crunchy drumsticks recipe, and then pair it with the above for quick and easy lunches!
    For me...eating healthy can't be complicated...it needs to be as easy as it is to grab a hamburger at a drive thru.
    :)
    Happy eating!
  • suzooz
    suzooz Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I love frozen vegetables! I will often eat the whole bag -- few calories and fills me up. I also love the convenince and the fact that they "keep." If it wasn't this easy, I probably would find an excuse not to eat them!
  • lisawest
    lisawest Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I agree...I bought some of these because they were on sale and I had a coupon..I am actually eating the "Healthy Hearts" pearled barley, sugar snap peas and julienne carrots as I type this. Its got EVOO and I think it's pretty great. Goes great with my chicken...

and good for you for getting back on track! HOORAY FOR VEGGIES!!!!!

That is one of my favorites! I haven't found a grilled meat it DOESN'T go great with! Pork, chicken, steak, fish, they're all good with this one. Pictsweet is another good brand.
  • lkm111
    lkm111 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Yeah, the Brussels Sprouts variety got me eating them again. THEN I actually sought out the fresh ones and steamed them in the microwave. They were so good! Who knew the Jolly Green Giant would be my gateway to healthier eating? :smile:
  • PrincessBTits
    PrincessBTits Posts: 198
    Options
    I have edamame steamers. <3 them!
  • JulieF11
    JulieF11 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the idea... It's nice to know they are good too! I'll give them a whirl! Oh, yes... I love the edamame steamer packs. Come in a box, but indiv wrapped in 90 cal bags to throw in the micro for 3 min. So fun to have little pods to mess with too.