Polar F6

Options
I just bought a used polar off ebay and I noticed that it is always showing the calories burned...so my question is how do you know what calories you are burning from working out( like cleaning house, your heart doesn't really race but you are working out in a sense) and how many from general activity? I have a certain amount of calories I am to eat that MFP figured out but how do I know what calories are already figured in vs how many "work out " calories to eat.....I really hope that all makes sense:noway:

Replies

• beautifulnow
    Options
    I just bought a used polar off ebay and I noticed that it is always showing the calories burned...so my question is how do you know what calories you are burning from working out( like cleaning house, your heart doesn't really race but you are working out in a sense) and how many from general activity? I have a certain amount of calories I am to eat that MFP figured out but how do I know what calories are already figured in vs how many "work out " calories to eat.....I really hope that all makes sense:noway:
  • faythe
    faythe Posts: 245
    Options
    Try this website to determine how many calories you've burned:

http://www.braydenwm.com/calburn.htm

Also, you can create a personal exercise in your exercise diary on MFP, if you're doing something that isn't listed. I don't know if you already knew that or not.

Hope this helped!
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    If you want to know how many calories you burn during regular daily activity, wear the polar for a full day (minus your sleep cycle), divide by the number of hours, and there you have it. :smile:

As an example, while I'm awake, I burn about 120 per hour. When I'm sleeping I burn about 80/hour
  • mlillie
    mlillie Posts: 302
    Options
    That is cool Banks- I will give it a try!

Thanks.
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options

If it's an F6, then have it stop the "exercise" period, and don't start it again until you're actually exercising. As long as you have it set to "exercise," it's going to show your calories burned.
  • metco89
    metco89 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    calorieking.com had helped me figure out how many calories i am burning when cleaning etc. They have just about everything listed on that site. hope it helps wishing u much success :flowerforyou:
  • MargaretA
    Options
    hey .im nosy . what is a polor? if it helps keep track of your calories burned .i would sure like to have one. i started this fitness pal program about feb,08 ive lost 29 lbs. i will be 70 sept 3.i didn't think i could lose .i proved myself wrong.thank goodness.this is the first time i have been on the chat line. my name is margaret from brandenburg. good luck everyone.
  • shorerider
    Options
    The websites can only give an estimate--and that can be off by a large percentage. If you wish to know for sure how many calories you are burning, then you need to purchase and wear a heart rate monitor.

Also, be careful on counting calories burned during "cleaning." It might be better to just consider that part of your normal activity level instead of exercise.
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    hey .im nosy . what is a polor? if it helps keep track of your calories burned .i would sure like to have one. i started this fitness pal program about feb,08 ive lost 29 lbs. i will be 70 sept 3.i didn't think i could lose .i proved myself wrong.thank goodness.this is the first time i have been on the chat line. my name is margaret from brandenburg. good luck everyone.

go to polarusa.com

polar F6 is a model of heart rate monitor. They track heart rate and calories burned (as well as some other stuff). They are awesome! I highly recommend getting one!
  • young1726
    young1726 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Go to you "goals" section and on the right hand side it will tell you how many calories MFP calculates that you will burn in normal daily activity. Remember this is just an estimate, but it will give you a base number that you can use to see ABOUT how many EXTRA calories you burn every day!

Good luck!

Dani :happy:
  • shorerider
    Options
    Go to you "goals" section and on the right hand side it will tell you how many calories MFP calculates that you will burn in normal daily activity. Remember this is just an estimate, but it will give you a base number that you can use to see ABOUT how many EXTRA calories you burn every day!

Good luck!

Those aren't really "extra" calories but are an estimate of how much you need to maintain your present weight given your present daily activity level. They also do not include exercise calories. You SHOULD NOT count those calories listed on that page like exercise calories--just FYI.
  • young1726
    young1726 Posts: 347 Member
    Options

Good luck!

Those aren't really "extra" calories but are an estimate of how much you need to maintain your present weight given your present daily activity level. They also do not include exercise calories. You SHOULD NOT count those calories listed on that page like exercise calories--just FYI.

I know... She was asking how many calories MFP already figured out for normal daily activity (not including exercise)... I guess if I am wrong in what those calories stand for point it out... because that's what I have been taking them as...