help! I think I hurt my knee......

Options
Hello Friends!

I'm fairly new to daily exercise but I have become a bit of a workout freak after joining MFP. I have been experimenting with different kinds of things and I think I may have twisted my knee a bit last week. It feels sore, swollen, and slightly spongy. I've been trying to take it easy so I don't prolong the pain and injury. Any ideas on what I can do for a slight sprain? Any exercises other than walking? I've lost 22 pounds and I DO NOT want to go back!

Thanks in advance for the ideas.

Replies

• LivyJo
    LivyJo Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    You could have tore something. Speaking from experience. You should get it checked out, because a small tear in the meniscus can lead to much bigger injuries if not taken care of. I ignored mine and did permanent damage to my meniscus! Ugh!
  • JulieF11
    JulieF11 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Please get it checked by a professional... If you damage something important... any further, you may be out a lot longer than you would be to let it heal properly to start with. That being said, cold compresses help with swelling. Good luck and congrats on starting your work out!
  • Tiggerrick
    Tiggerrick Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Ice for the first 48 hours after an injury helps prevent swelling(20 minutes at a time 4 x per day.) After 48 hours, the swelling process has stopped, and heat is preferable as it improves the circulation thus absorption of the fluids that caused swelling.

We use the pneumonic RICE for fresh injuries. Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation.

Without actually examining your knee, it would be hard to say how bad the injury really is. Rule of thumb is: if doing something makes it hurt, don't do that.
  • Gretchen22276
    Options
    Thank you for the info!
    I will probably get it checked out, just in case. I'm currently without insurance so I thought I would ask those wizened MFPers first!

Thank you Friends!
  • darrenham
    darrenham Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Hello Friends!

I'm fairly new to daily exercise but I have become a bit of a workout freak after joining MFP. I have been experimenting with different kinds of things and I think I may have twisted my knee a bit last week. It feels sore, swollen, and slightly spongy. I've been trying to take it easy so I don't prolong the pain and injury. Any ideas on what I can do for a slight sprain? Any exercises other than walking? I've lost 22 pounds and I DO NOT want to go back!

Thanks in advance for the ideas.

First and foremost, give it 3 or 4 days (preferably a week) of complete rest. You will not go back by resting for a few days. And if you don't take this advice, you could be resting for a lot longer (try forever) if you push yourself too far.

Second, if it's not better after rest, go and see a doctor/physio who will assess it properly and perhaps advise rehabilitation.