Fighting the weight gain on anti-cancer meds.

Options
mehlen
mehlen Posts: 28 Member
Hi everyone. I'm new here. I decided to join this after this really great person at work reached out. Very appropriate because we're having a thing at work to lose or maintain your weight and we're both in it. Well, ever since I got diagnosed with cancer...and being on these cancer fighting meds, my metabolism has dropped and my weight has gone up...so losing weight has been a challenge.

After raising 5 kids and already battling one round of cancer...you'd think this would be no big deal. But heck...I have discovered that I totally resent the whole idea of giving up something else and I go into that downward spiral of eating comfort foods just to feel better. Man is it a vicious cycle.

What I've seen so far is that this is not so much a tool to lose weight...though that certainly has potential to be a side effect if this plan is followed... But what I found more is that this is a tool to help me evaluate what's going in...what I'm doing...and provides me a tool to look for alternatives to what I'm doing.

What I'm hoping here is instead of looking at what I'm "giving up" I can start viewing this as an opportunity to monitor my choices and see where I can trade fun things for other fun things...and come up with something that keeps me focused on what I'm enjoying rather than what I'm giving up.

Hope this makes sense. The cancer meds add things like joint and bone pain...which make it hard to "exercise" but I do like to walk and that gets added into my totals for the day...even when it's not some 3.5 miles per hour. So I can also see ability (ability to walk even if I can't run yet) instead of all the "No you can't" things that are constantly in my face.

In essence, I see this more as a looking to the positive things I'm doing instead of all the other programs that look at all the "can't dos" or "don't dos".

Replies

• PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,740 Member
    Options
    Welcome!

I absolutely love your positive attitude and the approach you are taking in this battle. This really is a great community full of amazing people, and the tools aren't too shabby either. I'm glad you found us.
  • jllipson
    jllipson Posts: 646
    Options
    Welcome, the tools on here are great to use. Good luck in your battle, haven't been down your road, but know plenty that have.

On the "dieting" note - don't look at what you want as a can't have, but something you can enjoy in moderation. I've found the key is measuring what you eat and counting it. If you need/want chocolate (or whatever else), then just add it to your calories for the day and enjoy (in moderation).

I wish you success in all of your journeys,
  • mehlen
    mehlen Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thanks. Cancer treatments really have made me feel like a victim so often. Treatments are full of "don't do" "you won't be able to" and "stay away from" so when the weight came on...it was really just too easy to be a victim to yet one more aspect of this cancer stuff.

In order to lose weight...I really needed something that focused on what I was doing, and what I could do. From what I'm seeing here, this site may be just what I need to win this battle with weight.

Anyone that wants to add me...I'm up for the support and will try to be supportive back.

Thanks again.