I look like a deer in headlights.

Options
Short preface: I have never once counted a calorie before in my life. Last week, I joined this site to change my outlook/lifestyle along with my new setting. I just moved; I moved without measuring cups (seeing how I have never used them before). For one week (or my entire life), I have been guessing my food measurements and calorie intake.

Story: I just bought measuring cups today and decided to play a little game:
First, I guessed how much 1 tablespoon of salad dressing looked to me. Then, I measured what I actually poured out...
4 tablespoons! I guessed what 1 cup of milk was. Actual: 2.5 cups! I am blown away by how wrong I am.
I would be lying if said I'm not disappointed that my first week of hard work, exercising and constantly editing my food diary, feels like a waste of time.... Minor setback.

Moral of my story: I really need to work on portion control.

I'm going to go buy a food scale next.
I really want to see what 28grams of flaming hot cheetos (my food Achilles' heel) actually looks like.

Replies

• bigredhearts
    bigredhearts Posts: 428
    Options
    my food scale was the best thing i ever bought! it really does help with portion control (also my problem) :drinker: heres to gaining control over portion sizes!!!
  • imsmellie
    imsmellie Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Where can I buy a food scale? Are some better than others?
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    oh hot cheetos...haven't had those in a while...
  • krixi
    krixi Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    oh i know how you feel. I was eyeballing it in the beginning, and man was I wrong!! I bought an electronic scale, and since then i've really started losing weight. I've always just eaten too much, when usually half that would have been enough!
  • TonysMiss
    TonysMiss Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    lol....My boyfriend bought me a food scale and I absolutely LOVE it and have to say it makes a HUGE difference it how much I eat of one thing. I measure EVERYTHING. Even down to my tsp of raw sugar in my coffee. It's funny because the only time my measuring utensils were ever out was when I was baking.......now they are used constantly
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,059 Member
    Options
    I'm going to go buy a food scale next.
    I really want to see what 28grams of flaming hot cheetos (my food Achilles' heel) actually looks like.

Awesome. You're not gonna like what you see! :noway::laugh:
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    I bought my food scale at wal mart for 30 bucks. It is my lifeline!
  • poesch77
    poesch77 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options

If you don't want to spend a lot like on a digital one...I actually got my scale at the local Dollar Store....works in oz and is fine to use.....
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,059 Member
    Options

Target, Wallmart, Amazon. You can get one for probably $15. There are under $50 ones and over $50. The less expensive ones are great!
  • daisy89
    daisy89 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    My food scale is absolutely amazing!

I bought it at Bed, Bath, and Beyond. It's an all-silver Cuisinart digital scale.

It even has a removable cup to pour portions into, instead of dirtying the glass.

I got it for 30% off, by joining the bed, bath, and beyond e-mail list. But I opt-ed out of
    receiving e-mail offers (spam), and over-all it feels like a huge win for me!
  • Tiggerrick
    Tiggerrick Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    I bought my at Bed Bath and Beyond. They have a huge assortment so you will have plenty of options and price ranges.
  • live2smyle
    live2smyle Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I got the biggest looser scale at bed bath and beyond for $19.99 works very well :flowerforyou:
  • believetoachieve
    believetoachieve Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    My scale wasn't expensive ($20-$30). The brand isn't too important, but I've found its a lifesaver if it has these features:

- "tare" button (so you can "zero" out the plate before weighing)
    - convertable to g, oz, kg
    - at least 5lb capacity if not a little more (once you get a plate/cup on there along with your food, it adds up!)
    - glass top (for EASY cleaning. Plastic is porous and not as sanitary!)

:flowerforyou:
  • Lisamariemlt
    Lisamariemlt Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    my parents won one
    gave it to me
    and it still sits in the box
    who am I kidding with portion control
    this post was a wake up call
    thanks
    and now that scale will be out and used
  • jllipson
    jllipson Posts: 646
    Options
    Definitely a digital scale. You can go Wal-Mart, department stores or possibly even your supermarket to find a scale. Make sure you get one which you can zero, so you can place a bowl or something on it, zero the scale then weigh the food.

As far as the measuring, I am pretty good at eyeballing, but still use measuring cups, spoons and scale, my hubby isn't so good - He would tell me he had 1/4 cup of something and I'd look and knew it was closer to a cup - I actually took his food off his plate one night to prove it to him when he wanted to argue, and it was almost a cup. So measuring devices are great tools to use.
  • fitnesspirateninja
    fitnesspirateninja Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I measure with cups and spoons, but don't have a scale. I know it's not 100% accurate, but it's been working well for me. My excercise calories aren't totally accurate, either. But I think a scale would be a great addition.
  • becca0211
    becca0211 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I got the biggest looser scale at bed bath and beyond for $19.99 works very well :flowerforyou:
    Me too, Love it!
  • LovelySnugs
    LovelySnugs Posts: 389
    Options
    lol just make sure it measures down to grams! a friend of mine bought a decent-looking food scale a couple years ago. she's a baker and lots of times she needs to be VERY specific abt the weights of the things she's adding to whatever new recipe. she pitched a FIT when she found out it only measured ozs and lbs. plus, she'd bought it on clearance or gotten a display model or something, so she couldn't return it. lol the price was just so good that she hadn't even thought to check!!

so, yeah. moral of the story - don't buy a tool without making sure it's gonna serve its purpose.
  • Ezada
    Ezada Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I got mine at Target, it was about $10, not digital and I love it!
    I did the same thing too in the beginning, I was so shocked at how much I thought was a table spoon!
    I still need to get some hand held measuring cups from the store. :)
  • imsmellie
    imsmellie Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I can't wait to measure even more things starting tomorrow!!!
    I wonder what 1cup of cereal looks like....and feels like in my tummy.