Heart rate monitors

Options
2»

Replies

• lil_pulp
    lil_pulp Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    The only downside with Polars is that sometimes you have to mail them in back to the company when the battery dies. I heard some of the new ones you don't have to do that. That is why I have never gotten one. I had a friend who's HR monitor battery died and it was gonna take 4 weeks before she would get it back and 60.00 to replace. She decided to buy a new one.
    I think Timex HR monitors are the best. I have always had one and loved it. Happy shopping! :)

Just as an FYI, I have a Timex HRM that (I'm pretty sure) doesn't calculate calories burned, so when you buy yours, make sure that yours does figure out the calories!
    -LP
  • CarolMorris66
    Options
    @ jenfunfur... sorry I didn't make myself clear!! I would like to see 'mid' work out how many I have burnt.... ie, when we do a training walk we are walking for an average of 20 miles. We stop after about 12 miles for lunch and would be interested to see how many I have burnt up until then and then carry on so I get a full total for the day....? Perhaps how you said will do that, I will try tonight, but thank you for you response!
  • Cartel
    Cartel Posts: 40
    Options
    I have to agree with everyone else/ Polar FT7 is great. I love this thing. Now you can change the batteries yourself and its pretty user friendly. I picked mine up on amazon but I dont recall the price. As for the ones your seeing on biggest loser I think your talking about the body bug. They are awesome but $$$$$$$$$
  • mirgss
    mirgss Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I don't know a lot about HRMs but on the advice of a friend I just got the Garmin Forerunner 305 (with chest strap) and I REALLY like it! I didn't research the Polars at all so I can't compare them...but the Garmin lets you create and customize workouts, it has alerts for time, distance, and if you go outside a speed/heart rate range...and it has a customizable display, so you can see the things you want (I have time, pace, and distance on mine). It's pretty awesome and even though it seems a little bulky when compared to a regular watch, mid-run I barely notice it. Plus it has the Garmin Training Center where you can upload all your info and it tracks everything for you. :)
  • mirgss
    mirgss Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Oh and I got mine for $115 from Amazon or eBay...don't remember which. Retail is 200 I believe?
  • vold94
    vold94 Posts: 256
    Options
    I don't know a lot about HRMs but on the advice of a friend I just got the Garmin Forerunner 305 (with chest strap) and I REALLY like it! I didn't research the Polars at all so I can't compare them...but the Garmin lets you create and customize workouts, it has alerts for time, distance, and if you go outside a speed/heart rate range...and it has a customizable display, so you can see the things you want (I have time, pace, and distance on mine). It's pretty awesome and even though it seems a little bulky when compared to a regular watch, mid-run I barely notice it. Plus it has the Garmin Training Center where you can upload all your info and it tracks everything for you. :)

Does it also track calories burned?
  • vold94
    vold94 Posts: 256
    Options
    Well thank you everybody for your input, I will weigh my options and let you know which i go with and if I like it! Definitely would like to get one before this summer due to I'm working at a camp this summer and would like to know how much I burn while there due to I may not get to the gym as often!
  • RCKT82
    RCKT82 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I just purchased the Polar FT60.... Polars definitely had the best reviews on Amazon compared to all the other brands. No one else (except Garmin) came close to them. They're pretty cheap on amazon compared to my local stores... plus I didn't have to pay 7.5% Sales tax... and Free Shipping? what whhhaaattt!!
  • eates
    eates Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I have the New Balance N4 and I really like it. It was simple to set up and I can see while I'm working out both my HR and the cal burned on the same display without having to mess with any buttons.
  • nomorefatbitch
    Options
    Dang! I never really gave a lot of thought to changing the batteries. I guess I was stupid enough to think that I would just change them - like a watch battery :(