How many calories...

Options
Should we eat, at the most, in one meal? I just had a burger and tots, and apparently inhaled about 900 calories.

I worked out hard today so I didn't even come close to going over my max, but i worry about eating too much in one sitting.

Replies

• firegirlred
    firegirlred Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Should we eat, at the most, in one meal? I just had a burger and tots, and apparently inhaled about 900 calories.

I worked out hard today so I didn't even come close to going over my max, but i worry about eating too much in one sitting.
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    How many in one meal depends upon your daily total. You really should try to spread them out evenly, leaving some for the "snacks" in between of course. I tend to eat more at breakfast though--I think I do better and so does my body that way.
  • jamdblake4
    jamdblake4 Posts: 179
    Options
    To me thats a lot in on sitting I think for the most I eat about 700 and thats a preworkout shake a post workout shake then oatmeal and fruit,
    url=http://www.myfitnesspal.com/weight-loss-ticker]82183.png[/url]
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • age1389
    age1389 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    Yeah but having a lot of calories in one meal once in a while is not a big deal. Just remember everything in moderation and you'll be fine.

-Adrienne:heart:
  • PedalHound
    PedalHound Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    The point to remember overall is that regardless of the type of food you eat, if you eat too much of it your body will store the extra as fat. This is what happens any time you eat more than what your body can process in 1 sitting. That's why documented grazing is healthy - your body can put it all to use (as long as you're within calories).
  • OomarianneoO
    OomarianneoO Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    I think I remember reading somewhere that your body can only process about 400 calories at a time. I'll have to look that up somewhere, but I'm sure that's what I read or heard somewhere.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Well, how many calories can you fit in there? Keep in mind that it takes about 13+ hours to fully digest a meal, from chewing to waste removal. Those 900 calories aren't all going to be processed simultaneously, nor will they be processed in the same way. Carbohydrates, fat, and protein all utilize different metabolic pathways, absorption areas, and digestion times. Eating 900 calories in a sitting and failing to immediately burn 900 calories doesn't mean they're all going to turn to fat. Any general number applied to the diet (1200 calories minimum, 400 calories in a sitting, 1g of protein per kg of body weight) is a VERY rough estimate that simply can't be applied previous knowledge of the individual, training, nutritional needs, etc.

If you feel sick, you've eaten more than what fits comfortably in your stomach at that moment, but it doesn't mean the calories of that meal turn to fat. They're used wherever they're needed.
  • PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    Options
    I don't know the ideal...But if you oops up once in a while, it is okay! :wink: For a normal day, I try to have about 300-400 calories per meal. I use up my workout calories for planned munchies or if I go over for a meal so 500 calories for overages and munchies. YUM! Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • PedalHound
    PedalHound Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Well, how many calories can you fit in there? Keep in mind that it takes about 13+ hours to fully digest a meal, from chewing to waste removal. Those 900 calories aren't all going to be processed simultaneously, nor will they be processed in the same way. Carbohydrates, fat, and protein all utilize different metabolic pathways, absorption areas, and digestion times. Eating 900 calories in a sitting and failing to immediately burn 900 calories doesn't mean they're all going to turn to fat. Any general number applied to the diet (1200 calories minimum, 400 calories in a sitting, 1g of protein per kg of body weight) is a VERY rough estimate that simply can't be applied previous knowledge of the individual, training, nutritional needs, etc.

If you feel sick, you've eaten more than what fits comfortably in your stomach at that moment, but it doesn't mean the calories of that meal turn to fat. They're used wherever they're needed.

It's true - I was over-simplifying. Without extensive personal testing there isn't any way to know exact numbers and even then our daily activities and all other variable factors that determine our metabolisms are constantly fluctuating and impossible to give exact values to. But generally if you eat smaller amounts more often, you'll give your body a better chance of "keeping up with" your intake. 700 cals in one meal at one time can also mean a lot of things. If it's a meal high in, say, brown rice and avocado then you'll have many more calories but for less food and for more nutrient density. Be moderate, think through the choices and it will all pan out :wink: