breastfeeding question

Options
Hi all,

just a quick question my daughter is 5 weeks and we are breastfeeding. Do you count the calories you use for breastfeeding in your daily totals? Some say its up to 500 calories a day but should I just ignore this and work with the diet and exercise?

Thanks for your help

Replies

• hail87666
    hail87666 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    If it was me, I wouldn't add all the calories. Maybe half, unless you're exercising aswell. Just make sure you eat little and often, and that you have a nutritionally balanced diet (might need low GI foods) and please make sure you are drinking plenty of water - breastfeeding is dehydrating, a lot of it goes into the water. Babies carry on being parasites after theyre born
  • kristarablue
    kristarablue Posts: 707
    Options
    NO, please do not ignore the 500 calories it burns. You need those calories to keep your milk production up and maintain a good supply for your baby.. Look, the baby will get what she needs, but your body will take it from you and usually not from the fat stores either or you could dry up. You can do a calorie reduction; just make sure you add 500 calories to what MFP gives you. So lets say they give you 1400 calories, add 500 and have your daily goal 1900. Then if you exercise eat those calories as well. I know it seems like alot, but remember MFP already gives you a big deficit so if you don't add the extra 500 you will be eating really low and that will not help you to continue breastfeeding. Breastfeeding will help you lose weight like crazy, but please eat the proper calories and drink lots and lots and lots of water. Every time you sit down to breastfeed bring a glass of water with you and drink it.

Good luck!!! You are doing great!!
  • kiwi_dee
    kiwi_dee Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I agree, don't ignore the b/feeding calories, you need them to continue b/feeding. I'm b/feeding my 11mth old and am eating all of my b/feeding and exercise calories and am consistently losing weight.

All the best and congrats on your new baby!
  • CARNAT22
    CARNAT22 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Can you not speak to your Dr and see what they recommend?

Personally I think 5 weeks is pretty early to be calorie counting if you are breast feeding :-(

I have read that a breastfeeding woman needs in the region of 3000 cals per day!!!
  • jtndle
    jtndle Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    With a five week old baby I would be sure to eat your allotted calories including the extra 500 added for nursing. You are still establishing your supply and need the extra. You will still lose weight eating the calories, I've done it twice before!