breakfast ideas

Options
mirgss
mirgss Posts: 275 Member
I usually eat breakfast at work and so I need something quick and easy. I find myself doing the cream of wheat/oatmeal packets...flavored of course. They are easy and keep me full-ish for about 3 hours. However, I know they have a lot of sugar. Any ideas for a healthier, low-calorie breakfast? I'd like to keep it low so I can still enjoy my plain yogurt and strawberries mid-morning ;)

Replies

• Erica1965
    Erica1965 Posts: 36
    Options
    Boil eggs the night before, and just eat the whites in the morning? They're about 50 calories each.
  • spring12peanut
    Options
    if you're a fan of the oatmeal (which i am a huge fan of) i would suggest buying the plain oats (they're cheaper and are way more healthy for you than the flavored packets) and put some frozen fruit or raisins (which i am eating as we speak!).
  • mustangurl
    mustangurl Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    i eat the lower sugar ones from quaker, only 3g per pack compared to 9g. tastes just the same.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    I premake breakfast burritos and keep them in the freezer, only take 2 minutes to heat up. I use scrambled eggs, a little cheese and salsa and I put in hamburger for my fiance. I clock them at around 200 cals, I use eggbeaters to keep the cals down a bit.
  • Julijulz
    Julijulz Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Instead of taking the packet, why don't you measure out a half cup of plain oatmeal/2-3 packets of splenda/cinnamon combo in a plastic baggy and take it to work. Basically it's the same thing except probably much lower at 140 calories. I usually have that every morning and I don't have to feel guilty about real sugar jacking up my calorie intake. Let me know what you think. :)
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I stick with plain instant oatmeal and a piece of fruit at my desk. You can also try keeping some cold cereal and almond milk too...
  • SewRue
    SewRue Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Try the low sugar oatmeal packets! Also you could try putting granola in low fat yogurt and have a banana.
  • MrsEmbree
    MrsEmbree Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You are more than welcome to look at my food diary for ideas. I usually eat the most at breakfast because I am starving right when I wake up. And if you are looking for really low cal stuff just substitute egg whites for whole eggs. Just a thought...hope this helps you :)
  • lecia125
    lecia125 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I like bagel thins with cream cheese. Bagel has 110 and cream cheese (regular) has 60 ish.
  • SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    I like bagel thins with cream cheese. Bagel has 110 and cream cheese (regular) has 60 ish.

I was just about to put this ;) I also add a tablespoon of raspberry sugar free jam by Smuckers...It is only 10 calories per serving :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • RoadDog
    RoadDog Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    Oats. Love 'em. Some pecans and dried fruit mixed in.
  • mirgss
    mirgss Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    pecans! dried fruit! raisins! oh fantastic ideas.

thanks guys!! :)
  • ecreigh2
    ecreigh2 Posts: 14
    Options
    Peanut butter rice cake sandwiches for breakfast. It turns out to be about 260 cal total. I can't help myself. I LOVE peanut butter!
  • carilyn39
    carilyn39 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I have been doubling the oats with my instant packets. put about a 1/4 cup plain oats, a teaspoon of chopped walnuts and a teaspoon of dried cranberries. It keep me full till lunch. and I discorverd yesterday that just a packet of the instant oatmeal, really doesn't keep full. (ps. i weighed the packet of instant that is where i got the total of plain oats to add.)
  • MoooveOverFluffy
    MoooveOverFluffy Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese? Good protein/calcium.

Also, try making a frittata the night before. I use a cup of frozen pepper strips, one whole egg, and a small container of egg beaters. It makes alot, but doesn't have alot of calories.......... and it really kept me satisifed. I used hot sauce instead of cheese for flavor. This is sorta like an omellette...? But sometimes mine gets mangled and ends up scrambled.
  • TNH76
    TNH76 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Better Oats brand makes instant oatmeal called OatFit that comes in two flavors and does NOT contain sugar. They are only 100 calories.
  • didazzles
    didazzles Posts: 13
    Options
    I have used the plain oatmeal suggestion. Quaker oats (plain) come in pouches now, which makes it easier to transport. The night before, you can sautee 1/2 apple wth cinnamon in Pam organic olive oil spray until tender. Store in the fridge and take that to put into your oatmeal. I also put a 1/2 pack of Truvia in the mixture. Yummy!

Another favorite of mine is an egg white omlette made the night before. I sautee (in Pam again) 1 cup of raw chopped spinach,some vidallia or sweet onion, red bell pepper, and 2-3 mushrooms until tender. Remove from the pan. Measure and pour in the frying pan 1/3 cup of egg whites. About half way through, add your veggies, and lightly season with Creole seasoning or seasoned salt (McCormick or Lawry's) and black pepper. As the mixture becomes more firm, flip one half over the other and add a little more seasoning. Cook another minute and flip the entire omlette over. Cook another minute or less. I eat it with a mini bagel. The entire prep/cooking time is about 10 minutes and it heats well in microwave (30-45 seconds, depending on the wattage). I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!!
  • Nikki_GodzPrincess
    Options
    I do the oatmeal packets as well, and everything I make I make via microwave. I eat the oatmeal packet with banana, sometimes an english muffin or a small bagel. I make eggs via the microwave super easy by the way, and also turkey bacon, or some sausage. There are many different options. You can make an omlette in the microwave too haha. My manager makes EVERYTHING in the microwave, he does his breakfast, lunch and dinner lol. Hope that helps :)
  • rmqt
    rmqt Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    There's a recipe somewhere around here for a one-minute microwave flax muffin. Or try baking your own breakfast cookies, oat-based of course. I bake alot of my family's morning supplies and sneak in extra flax seed and wheat germ. Try tinkering with a basic muffin recipe until you get something you really like. All this week I had a flax and almond muffin and cup of greek yogurt for breakfast.
  • didazzles
    didazzles Posts: 13
    Options
    RMQT - great idea! Thanks!